Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Are Boondocking Rallies a draw ?

Hi,
so here's what I'm thinking... I grew up on a 70 acre farm in Virginia and still have the property. I live about 9 miles from the farm and it's a very very nice place to be in the fall. The leaves are amazing and Charlottesville is 9 miles away which has some great places (like Monticello). The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive are very close too. The issue is that the farm would have no hook ups.
I think it would be great to host a rally (thinking next fall might be the way to go). I'm wondering what the thoughts are as far as boondocking rallies?

Would people go to one? What would they expect?

I have a film production company and could provide power via a very large rental generator, and I'm sure large portable black tanks could be provided by a port-a-potty vendor. (So this might not be too boondocking:-)

Liability could be covered via a signed legal document for each person attending.

My sister has a catering business and could provide food (not looking to make any money or anything just provide services). There could be bonfires, bands and such. Nice big fields and woods around.

So just looking for feedback here.
Thoughts?
Eric
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I prefer boondocking rallies and often will not go to a rally held at a private campground.Some people boondock well. Others will have all tanks full and all batteries dead in 2 days if they don't have facilities available.
The Birthday Bashes were boondocking as well as the Pocono raceway rallies were very successful.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Most of the 4CU rallies are dry camping, and one is 100% boon docking (in the strictest sense of the word) in the raw desert. And they are ALL well-attended. Most folks who boon dock have either solar or generators or both and con go at least several days without facilities. Your set-up sounds beautiful and very enticing. WE think it would be great! Wish we were closer!

One suggestion: You might check where there is s local dump station for those who would need to dump tanks before or after they attend...most RV parks and campground — at least in our area — allow those not camping with them to dump for modest fee. A water source would be good as well...we always run out of fresh water before anything else.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
TBRich-
Good advice, that's the idea with the black and gray mobile tank rentals. The RVs and port-o-johns places we rent from for film locations can provide just the tanks (set on the ground). These can then be pumped or dumped into when needed and then emptied for a fee. I think they can also provide potable water to tanks they also provide. As the people in charge we could either charge a per day fee for campers to cover this, or an as needed fee.
Good to hear people might be interested. Lots of space in a beautiful place.... We also know a lot of very talented musicians who might want to play. Could be a good time. A year is good lead time to plan it!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Eric

Sounds like a great idea. I would come. I don't think you need a large generator at all. Boondockers can take care of their own power needs. The main need would be for porta pottys and a source of water. Music would be great.

I love going to music festivals and boondocking. There is a great one coming up in your backyard- the Festy, Oct 7-9, in Nellysford, VA. I am going to it. You might like to go. It will be a great time, and you might pick up some pointers on how to plan your own rally next fall- Just don't pick the same weekend as the Festy. Here is a link.

The Festy

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
How do you dump an RV tank into an above ground tank that is as high or higher then the RV tank?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
I like hookups...chocolate/vanilla.
scarylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
How do you dump an RV tank into an above ground tank that is as high or higher then the RV tank?
From a practical standpoint, we usually dump blackwater into a 5 or ten gallon blue tank that can then be lifted and poured into a tank or portapotti. Every 2 days for a 5 gal. 5 days for a ten and we won't use a tank that is too heavy to be lifted and moved.

If some one made a macerator pump available people could pull the trailer up and dump in a normal manner
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
sounds great, that is a beautiful part of the country. Keep us posted.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Another option, if the terrain isn't flat, is to put the rented tanks down in a low place that has a higher accessible route near it to pull trailers through and have it set up as a dump station.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
The portable tanks are flat and wide, so they are very close to being below the dump valve. A slight hill or a platform the trailer can be driven up onto (like 2x12s) can easily get the trailer high enough to dump into... No dumping in small containers:-)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I agree with TB.. Sounds like fun but too far away... The ABQ Balloon Fiesta is another completely dry-camped event, and it started when Ken J just posted a note here asking if anyone was interested.. Thirty Airstreams showed up, and we had a great time without hookups... (True- it was just a long weekend, but still worked fine...). Another option instead of renting tanks is to contact local septic tank pumpout service, and have them go trailer to trailer like they do at Wally Byam International Rallies.... I'd think fresh water could be done with a bunch of long hoses hooked from faucet somewhere when required, and sharing generators is another proud tradition in emergencies when batteries go dead.. Hey, you could even park in a large circle like the good ol' days...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Are Boondocking Rallies a draw?
AB-SO-LUTE-LY! The last three RMVAC Rallies have all been boondocking rallies and very well attended. 2010 had ninety trailers in attendance! We took 2011 off, but will be back at it again next year...

For a group that large, it's not been 100% true boondocking, it's been in a field at a couple of different fairground sites in CO & WY but there are no real hook-ups of any kind. We always have porta-potties brought in for those with combined, small or no tanks. We usually can run grey water on the ground and always have a dump nearby. We also have fresh water available nearby...and try to have some electrical available for those with medical needs either via generator or sometimes an outlet or two are available.

On a smaller (20 trailers), more informal scale we've also planned real boondocking rallies (we call them un-rallies) where we just pick a spot in the US Forest and pull off a dirt road - no electrical, water or plumbing for miles. Communication has to be real good on these - everybody either needs to caravan in together, good directions & mile markers &/or signs need to be placed so everybody can "get there"...that's a bunch of fun, but not for everyone nor what it sounds like you have in mind.

Sounds like you're onto something, go for it..."If you plan it, they will come!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Hey, you could even park in a large circle like the good ol' days...
You mean like these?

2010 Salida, CO

2009 Laramie, WY - Sorry no aerial shot this year...but the site was wonderful!

2008 Salida, CO

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
This sounds fabulous. We've been at the first two Birthday Bashes - boondocking, no generator - and it's been great.

We often go 3-4 days on just the coach battery and the small tanks. (OK, we do use campground showers, but that can be worked around creatively for true boondocking.)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1975 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to HeirsDreamJJ
sounds good to us too. We might come from Toronto, depending on the dates. It's a great time of year to travel!!!
Jojo and Rick
HeirsDreamJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I can see it now... a large farm field, a stage, book a few bands, and film it all...

Alumastock - An Aluminum Exposition

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have attended two RMVAC boondocking rallys as well as other boondocking rallys. Our WBCCI unit has had a boondocking rally in Quartzsite AZ each of the past three years, and will do so again this next January. All were well attended.

We carry a Honda 2000 to run momentary stuff like the microwave and Krups espresso maker. A solar panel, a couple of battery powered lamps, and a little conservation take care of our electrical needs.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Eric,
Your plan sounds like a winner. Linda and I would be glad to help in any way you feel would benefit the event. We went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year and found the "pump out" service to work very well for tank clearing. Most of us with two tanks and two batteries can dry camp for several days in the Virginia Fall, when we don't have to run the A/C to keep sane. Let's Go For It.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Well I think it may have to be a spring thing! The ol Safari is just now getting gutted! I wanted to test the waters, and it seems like people would be interested! I live in town but my mother still lives on the farm and it takes a while to get her excited about things (you know how moms are:-), so I figure if I start telling her about it now I can get this thing together in the spring or summer if things don't get too crazy with work! Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Eric
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I know my family would love to come to a boon docking rally. Please keep us posted as to the status...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote