Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Smile Alumapalooza 2017

Anyone on the forum planning on attending? Not sure if I missed a previous thread regarding the upcoming rally at JC, but I'm looking for info or suggestions on how to break up the 16 hr trip from Tampa, Fl. (i.e. Avoiding traffic around Atlanta, where to stop for the night or maybe even 2 nights) I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has done this trip from our area.
soFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Alumapalooza 2017

We are attending, but will be headed north at a rapid pace. We are thinking about a late night Cracker Barrel along the way.

Looking from south to north, we like several stops:

Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordele, GA

High Falls State Park near Macon

Red Top Mountain State Park near Cartersville, GA

Cloudland Canyon State Park in Rising Fawn, GA

Harrison Bay State Park near Chattanooga

Cumberland Gap National Historic Site in Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky

Renfro Valley KOA in KY

You get the idea. Enjoy the ride and we will look forward to seeing you in Jackson Center.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Cloudland Canyon is very nice, but FYI the road into the park from I-59 is very steep and twisty. Lots of switchbacks and a pretty steep grade.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Road from I 75 is the best route from the south. Both are ok, with patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
I have courtesy parking off I 75 in North georgia if needed
1 Happy Life
tin.can.twinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Depending on when you leave, you may make the uncomfortable discovery that virtually no campgrounds will offer a single night stay over the Memorial Day period. They seem to want 3 nights, or nothing.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Thanks Tin.Can.Twinkles for your offer. We may have to change our plans, but if we are able to go, we might take you up on that!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
It's there if you need it! There's a nice cracker barrel down there if you want to stay there too... ate there many a time.
1 Happy Life
tin.can.twinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
We'll be there, SoFlo! Hope to see you again. If you get to the site over the Memorial weekend, Aluma has a special rate for you to stay until it's starts.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin.can.twinkies View Post
I have courtesy parking off I 75 in North georgia if needed
We will be going to Jackson Center for the rally after all. I was wondering if your offer to park overnight is still available. We would be staying Sat. Night of Memorial Day weekend, and should be able to arrive by 7 or 8 pm. If so Iyou cam message me and provide directions to your home. Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
We'll be there arriving early, and then a week or so afterwards while going through warranty issues. Can't wait! We're camping just outside of Elkhart for another few days then got to find a location for Memorial day...Could be Wally World, or Cracker Barrel LOL
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
We'll be there arriving early, and then a week or so afterwards while going through warranty issues. Can't wait! We're camping just outside of Elkhart for another few days then got to find a location for Memorial day...Could be Wally World, or Cracker Barrel LOL
How many nights do you need? We're camping at Maumee Bay State Park (Ohio) Fri-Sat-Sun nights before heading down to the mother ship on Monday afternoon. At 9:50 AM I see there's one site available Sunday night.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Panama City Beach , Florida
For those of you that have been before, tips on meals you had to prepare?
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

I think we are on our own for:
All breakfast
3 Lunch
4 dinners (2 of these are open grill)

Looking for ideas

Thanks in Advance
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
I attended last year, and have a question for those of you who are attending or have attended before.

We don't have an Airstream yet, but live about half an hour from JC & really wanted to see some Airstreams in person. However, the day we went there (I don't remember which day of the week) most of the owners were off doing activities, and those who were at their trailers weren't particularly interested in showing them off to folks like us who were just wandering around.

Are most people there just to socialize at the events and such, or are there certain times when most owners are at their trailers & willing to let others have a look? We're considering going back again this year, but my wife says she doesn't want to go if our experience will be like last year's.

One side note to that report - those who were willing to show us their trailers were VERY helpful. I know a few of them are Airforums members, so a shout out to those of you who went out of your way to show some clueless noob wannabees around. One nice lady with a new Pendleton was in the middle of making lunch, but was happy to let us look at her beautiful trailer. Another couple spent a good 45 minutes educating us on a whole bunch of aspects of Airstream ownership that we hadn't considered. So, I don't mean to complain about the Airstream community as a whole, as I know there are lots of nice, friendly, and helpful people out there - I'd just like to know when/where to find them at Alumapalooza!
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Alumapalooza 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dreamin View Post
For those of you that have been before, tips on meals you had to prepare?
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

I think we are on our own for:
All breakfast
3 Lunch
4 dinners (2 of these are open grill)

Looking for ideas

Thanks in Advance

We have never been to Jackson Center, but we did go to Alumaflamingo this year which was held at a regular campground. Since we are only provided with 15amp electric, we are relying on previously prepared frozen meals that just need reheating on the stove or in the oven, i.e. we already seasoned and cooked taco meat, chicken fajita strips, and breakfast burritos. We are also bringing some wings and sausage for grilling. If we run out of food or fixins there is an IGA grocery store in Anna about 10 miles from there. I know it's not the healthiest menu, but we can make up for it when we return home.

We are heading to Northern VA after the event. Hope to see you there.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by soFlo View Post
We have never been to Jackson Center, but we did go to Alumaflamingo this year which was held at a regular campground. Since we are only provided with 15amp electric, we are relying on previously prepared frozen meals that just need reheating on the stove or in the oven, i.e. we already seasoned and cooked taco meat, chicken fajita strips, and breakfast burritos. We are also bringing some wings and sausage for grilling. If we run out of food or fixins there is an IGA grocery store in Anna about 10 miles from there. I know it's not the healthiest menu, but we can make up for it when we return home.

We are heading to Northern VA after the event. Hope to see you there.
From what I remember talking to people at Alumapalooza last year, 15 amp circuits were shared by many people - maybe even a whole row of trailers. Some people said it was enough for lights, but that's about it - they were not cooking or anything like that.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The 120v supply is essentially 3 amps. That's enough to run the converter, and possibly a television. If you try to run more than that, you will probably trip a breaker, and knock out power to a lot of other trailers. You will be a very popular person when that happens.
Fridge needs to be on LP, water heater needs to be on LP, use the furnace, not the heat strip or heat pump, and don't even think of the air conditioner or microwave. Most Airstreams have stoves and Fantastic vents. Use them.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I'm on my way now from Clearwater. Stopped at Florida Caverns, now at FDRoosevelt SP near Columbus Ga. tomorrow head to Burnside Ky for the requisite three nite stay for the weekend. One nite at friends in Cincinnati. Then in to JC for the rally. Maumee Bay after that and then on to Canada for a month or so. Figured I came this far north may as well keep on going
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Open house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I attended last year, and have a question for those of you who are attending or have attended before.

We don't have an Airstream yet, but live about half an hour from JC & really wanted to see some Airstreams in person. However, the day we went there (I don't remember which day of the week) most of the owners were off doing activities, and those who were at their trailers weren't particularly interested in showing them off to folks like us who were just wandering around.

Are most people there just to socialize at the events and such, or are there certain times when most owners are at their trailers & willing to let others have a look? We're considering going back again this year, but my wife says she doesn't want to go if our experience will be like last year's.

One side note to that report - those who were willing to show us their trailers were VERY helpful. I know a few of them are Airforums members, so a shout out to those of you who went out of your way to show some clueless noob wannabees around. One nice lady with a new Pendleton was in the middle of making lunch, but was happy to let us look at her beautiful trailer. Another couple spent a good 45 minutes educating us on a whole bunch of aspects of Airstream ownership that we hadn't considered. So, I don't mean to complain about the Airstream community as a whole, as I know there are lots of nice, friendly, and helpful people out there - I'd just like to know when/where to find them at Alumapalooza!
I don't see an "open house" on the schedule, but at some rallies there is a time scheduled to go around and see others' trailers. Check the schedule or call Alumapalooza to see if one's scheduled.

At any rate, you may come by our trailer if you can find it and if we're there! #2407
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valrico , Florida
Open House?

DPRoberts

We are on our way to the rally from Florida. Should be in by tomorrow night. We would be happy to show you our 2016 FLying Cloud Rear Bedroom if you are interested. When we find out our location, I can private message you and let you know where we are if you like.