Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #309
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Dutch Oven Cooking Demo

Back by popular demand, well make that John asked so its actually only one demand a Dutch Oven Demo. Jon Chillpoints, and I will make an attempt at cooking in the DO w/o making a massive mess. Yeah right.

The DO has a long history in camping, the American west remember Wagontrain Charlie and just about all the old westerns someone was always serving something from one.

Got a DO, care to assist in the demo, com' on down. Need to just get started and practice we got ya a space. Bring your DO, tools and fixin's.

We recently did a nice beef roast with taters, next a quick chili so my oven gets used dry and wet meals. Last year at camp we had a real fine turkey breast for Turkey week in a DO.

It's The One Pot that does almost it all.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #310
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Bring your iron....

....and come on down, everyone welcome.

Thanks, Gary, DO cooking is always a hot topic

Got the DO demo penciled in for 11:00-12:00 on Friday, at the pavilion. Maybe you folks can whip us up something special for lunch.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #311
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Can't Make It!

John, I am sorry to inform you that we are not going to be able to make it this weekend, due to some unforeseen medical issues. This was going to be our first and we were looking forward to it. I hope that we will be able to attend next year. Thanks and I hope that everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #312
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
John, I am sorry to inform you that we are not going to be able to make it this weekend, due to some unforeseen medical issues. This was going to be our first and we were looking forward to it. I hope that we will be able to attend next year. Thanks and I hope that everyone has a great weekend!
Just a reminder, the rally is not until 27-30. Will that help any??
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #313
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Petersburg , Illinois
Is anyone traveling to Alumilina on I64 east or I75 south? I am on my way...currently in Southern Indiana.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #314
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Just a reminder, the rally is not until 27-30. Will that help any??
Thanks for correcting my timing John. I was at UVA all day yesterday having tests and am kind of brain dead today. They scheduled me for more next Friday, which is the correct date. Thanks for the reply and maybe next year things will work out. Ya'll enjoy yourselves!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #315
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Duke,

good vibes sent your way.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #316
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
One More That Can't Make It

Departure from Nevada for our Fall / Winter trip has been delayed until the latter part of next week; so we must regretably pass on this year's Alumalina gathering. Look forward to seeing everyone next year

Cris & Elane (#124 on the list)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #317
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris911 View Post
Departure from Nevada for our Fall / Winter trip has been delayed until the latter part of next week; so we must regretably pass on this year's Alumalina gathering. Look forward to seeing everyone next year

Cris & Elane (#124 on the list)
Thanks for the note Cris & Elane, we will miss you but there will be more good times ahead.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #318
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
AIRSTREAM of SOUTH CAROLINA.....

...will have a new trailer on display Friday and Saturday at the pavilion. Ron Rawl, of John's RV will be there with a new Flying Cloud or International 27'.

For you veteran Alumalinians, Ron is no stranger. As GM of his family owned RV dealership in Lexington, SC, Ron has been a generous supporter of Alumalina many times.

Stop by to say hello, and check out what's new for Airstream.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 AM   #319
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
A few reminders.....

a schedule
We offer a schedule only so that we may all be on the same page if something interests you. Nothing is required, EXCEPT that you enjoy your self. Do only what makes you happy.

THURSDAY

5:00-6:00 Welcome, meet and greet, happy hour. Come meet your neighbors, bring your smile and whatever makes you happy.

6:00-7:00 Our fabulous hot dog feast, a Thursday night kick off the rally tradition. We have the hot dogs, we will need buns, fixins', and any other sides or deserts you would like to toss in.

7:00 until Enjoy the evening with your new best friends at the great fireplace. Firewood is furnished by the Cove.

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 Breakfast on us. Continental, not really fabulous, but it will keep you from going hungry. It's the thought that counts. We will also provide coffee.

9:00-12:00 Seminars. We have some really good ones lined up and we will publish them on a separate list.

12:00-1:00 Lunch on your own.

1:00-5:00 Craft fair, flea market, paroozing, enjoy the afternoon meeting even more of your neighbors. There is lots to see and do in the area. Be sure to go up to Caesars Head for a great view of the Cove and all the aluminum.

5:00-6:00 Meet & greet, happy hour. Just in case you aren't already happy.

6:00-7:00 Supper. Our absolutely famous, totally fabulous, sticks to your ribs Possum Bog. A meal in itself, but with the large crowd we could use some sides and deserts. If you have never had possum bog, don't worry, it tastes just like chicken.

7:00 until Enjoy the evening with friends and the fireplace.

SATURDAY

8:30-10:00 Breakfast. Our legendary, all pot luck breakfast. Definitely a feast. Please bring your best breakfast dish to share. It is always awesome.

10:00-12:00 More seminars

12:00-1:00 Lunch on your own

1:00-5:00 the REALLY good stuff.....open house, flea market, craft fair, paroozing, and of course.....RITA. Spend the afternoon in alumaland.

5:00-6:30 Supper. The best Saturday night fish fry you've ever been to. We have restaurant ''grade A '' white fish fillets, shrimp, devil crab, french fries, hush puppies. All professionally prepared and served.

7:00 until......door prizes, raffles, and of course the great fireplace.

SUNDAY

8:30 Continental breakfast and anything else that is left over and needs to be eaten up.

9:00 a short devotional service, with a prayer for the road.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #320
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
What we have and what we need
We have: 400 premium beef hotdogs, and homemade chili

We need: buns, condiments, any sides, deserts.

We have: A large pot of possum bog....possum, rice, carrots, celery, sausage, smoked sausage, okra.

We need: Any sides, breads, salads, pasta, deserts, anything.

We have: A fabulous fish supper.

We need; Slaw, salads, pastas, deserts

Remember...Saturday breakfast is ALL potluck so we need everything.

We have: continental breakfast for Friday and Sunday mornings.

We need: perhaps a few pastries.

This is a large crowd, we could use everyone's help to fill the plates.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #321
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Some good things to know....
The Cove features rally style parking, meaning side by side, back to back, in rows. We will all be close neighbors so get out and meet everyone.

No one needs an invitation to join in a ''neighborhood block party''. Don't be shy, just jump right in, you will be welcomed.

The Cove is relatively isolated, best to pack in your supplies.

The nearest fuel station: in down town Cleveland, about 8 miles away.

Nearest big grocery stores: Ingles, Bi-Lo, Walmart. All in Travelers Rest, SC about 18 miles away.

Nearest veterinarian: All About Pets 409 Old Buncombe Rd, Travelers Rest, SC 864.834.7334 About 18 miles

Nearest hospital/emergency care: Branch of Greenville Hospital, Travelers rest. About 18 miles.

The Cove is located in Greenville County, SC

The Cove is staffed by volunteer members and are great people. They are camping folks just like us. They are also a great source for local information.

Be sure to check out the area, especially Caesars Head for a look down on the park.

There is a great fireplace under the pavilion and the Cove furnishes the wood. Enjoy it. If you want a fire at your trailer it must be in a raised fire pit.

We have full use of all the facilities and they come at no cost to the rally.

The meeting hall has tables and seating for app 125. It also has a kitchen, laundry, and restrooms.

The pavilion has picnic tables, rocking chairs, and the great fireplace. We will use it for all group activities, weather permitting.

The lounge is attached to the pavilion. It has gas logs, big fluffy chairs and couches, and a kitchenette. Also restrooms.

There are no bath house facilities, only rest rooms.

Please bring your sets ups to all the meals....eating utensils, plates, bowls, drink, etc.

And please mark your serving dishes and don't forget to pick them up after the meal.

We would like to encourage everyone to wear a name tag, preferably one that includes your forum user name. One of the best parts of any rally is putting a face with a name. If you have a favorite one, any kind, please wear it. We will furnish one if you need it. We will also have markers to personalize it.

And last but not least.....

Please make every effort to stay safe. We are off the beaten path and help may be a while getting there.

Have a great time, do what you want, enjoy your neighbors....

and MAKE WALLY PROUD!!

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #322
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Dry camping....also glad you asked
We have a very good set up for dry camping. The ground is flat with thick mowed grass.

The dump station is an easy access pull through and will have water for flushing your tank.

We will also daisy chain fresh water to each rig.

Please come to the rally with a full fresh water tank, empty waste tanks, and full propane.

The biggest draw on your batteries will be the furnace blower. It can drain batteries in a couple days. Bring an extra blanket and your favorite bed warmer.

Generators are absolutely welcome, hopefully the quiet types like the Hondas and Yamahas. Run occasionally they will keep the batteries up. There may be a couple of them around we can share. It is always good generator etiquette to be mindful of your neighbors.

If you have never boondocked (dry camped), this is the place to break in. Airstreams are among the very best equipped for it and there will be plenty of help to show you the ropes.

Boondocking opens lots of possibilities to expand camping options. Might be a simple overnight stop in a Walmart parking lot, might be a weekend beside a beautiful lake or inside a secluded national park.

You will still have all the same comforts you would have if hooked up.

Do not be afraid to boondock!!! Nothing to it. We are planning a seminar on it.

Besides, the alternative is to sit at home and miss all the fun at Alumalina.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP