Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Hmmm, this sounds like fun! Any Georgians want to caravan?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Hmmm, this sounds like fun! Any Georgians want to caravan?

Ahhh, I smell a road trip brewing. There are some Georgians in the mix, and I85 will bring you real close to the party. Take I85 north to Charlotte, then I77 south about 10 or so miles to Carowinds Blvd. Probably exit 1 in SC. Continue past the entrance to Carowinds about 1 mile or less, look for the sign for Camp Wilderness on your right. Turn right there. Entrance to the campground is then on your left. The lodge/office will be straight ahead. You should see some shiny tubular rocket looking things parked on your left. They are not part of left over Carowinds amusement rides but do look like they could have been. Screaming, yelling, arm flailing, smiling, laughing ,ear to ear grinning, and other signs of good times have been associated with them. That would be us.
Come on, the drinks are on me.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Are campfires allowed at each site? That's a biggie for my husband and kids! And is this kid-friendly? We have a few!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Skatiero, their campfire rule says no ground fires, cooking fires must be inside each sites grill. Don't know if they allow fires in a raised fire ring, I will try to find out. We like campfires also. And heck yea kids are welcome. Both of our sons will be there. EVERYONE is welcome. They have a playground there also.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
We won't kiss and tell.
Now I don't know if I should be relieved or disappointed...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We both now have permission to be off the 23rd of March. I don't know if I can handle a 3 day weekend, though. I may have to bring a screwdriver and fix somebody's trailer...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We both now have permission to be off the 23rd of March. I don't know if I can handle a 3 day weekend, though. I may have to bring a screwdriver and fix somebody's trailer...
Glad you can make it. Reminds me of a story a Doctor friend tells. Every time he goes to a family reunion, his kin folk line up for a free check up!
We won't do you that way, but go ahead and load up on rivets and some spare parts just in case.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Details to follow, but we're in!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
BRAD that's great news, we look forward to seeing you and Karen up here in our neck of the woods. Shaping up to be a good time.
John

Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
it will be fun, and we're gonna need a drummer! Start practicing Wipe OUT.
Wipe Out? I believe that the PizzaChop clan had more to do with that than Brad.

Well, I've never been to Charlotte, but I've been to Oklahoma.

(just kidding about Oklahoma, the phrase just kept going once I typed Charlotte...this is an obscure stretch at a reference to Three Dog Night).

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey you guys, I know Three Dog Night. Still hear them often up here on a classic station out of Charlotte. Had 'em on an 8 track tape, one of my favs in my Fairlane while crusin' with my girlfriend, who happens to be my wife of nearly 40 years now.. Funny how the good things just hang around and get better with age.
I've seen Brad whacking on the bongos and the drums, keep waiting for him to break out on WIPEOUT! A classic drumm'n tune.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Directions and information on the campground can be found at Carowinds.com. There is a link, with a map of the campground. The pull thru sites in the Maple section look good, #'s 149 - 171. Also back in sites #'s 139 - 148. Should be plenty to choose from when you arrive. And Skatiero, sorry, looks like they took the playground out. They do have a pool table & some other games inside the Lodge.
John

Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #53

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey John,

Sounds like you started something here. We can't make this one but we may drop in for a visit Saturday evening. Save us some cold ones

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Hey John,

Sounds like you started something here. We can't make this one but we may drop in for a visit Saturday evening. Save us some cold ones
Kevin
Kevin , wish you could join us , hope you and Sally can drop by Saturday. We will have the cold ones waiting. Trying to get this thing jump started. Seems like there are Forums Rallys all over the place but none here in the Carolinas. Hope to fix that beginning this March, it is overdue. Things seem to be rolling along pretty good. See you there.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
rally arrival

John:
We are thinking we might try to come but it would be a late Friday evening arrival. Do you know if that would be a problem? Maybe 9:30-10:00 PM. Do we need to make prearrival arrangements to secure a spot? It would be the first trip in our new 25 foot Flying Cloud-just traded our 20 foot Safari.

Tom and Deborah and Winston Schnauzer
Fuquay Varina, NC
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Tom & Deborah, great to hear you may be able to make it. A late arrival won't be a problem, there is no gate, there will be plenty of sites, and the red carpet will be rolled out for you. We will be easy to spot, look for the shiny things on your left as you approach the lodge. There are pull thru sites available to make it easy. And congratulations on the new FC. It will be an honor to have you join us for the first trip! John

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Alumalina update

The campground has some sites set aside for us, all pull thrus. If you would like to reserve, tell them you are with the Airstream group, they will book you in one of them. If you don't want to reserve, don't worry, there will be plenty of sites, still in the same area (the Maple section), probably in the same row.
They have 20 -30 -50 amp, water, sewer. There may be some other folks scattered around in the area but for the most part it will be ours. Park anywhere you want, the sites are all pretty much the same. You can probably stop by the office, plunk down the green backs, go park, then walk over and tell them which site.
Exit onto Carowinds Blvd from I77. Don't enter Carowinds itself, continue about 1/2 mile, see the big wooden roller coaster on your right. turn at the lite. There is a sign for Camp Wilderness.
There are plenty of gas stations, restaurants, quick sacks, even a discount beverage store, all close by. It's not exactly isolated there.
Susan will have a big pot of homemade soup for Friday nite, and I am still planning to fry up some fish & chips late Saturday afternoon. Call it early supper. If you have a favorite something, bring it. If you don't, just bring yourself. That will be plenty good enough.
I have a 10 x 10 push up tent, perhaps if anyone else has one, might be nice. Lets hope for some splendid weather, but just in case, tents could be handy. There are no shelters there, and the lodge/office closes at 7pm.
So, come on, don't worry, be HAPPY! Let me know if you need any info. John

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #58
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
even a discount beverage store, all close by.
Hmm.... Mudslide ingredients...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yup, it's one of those really BIG beverage shops that has every brand, every size , every flavor, every ingredient for everything.They even have shopping carts so you can haul it all around. 1 block away.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #60
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Yup, it's one of those really BIG beverage shops that has every brand, every size , every flavor, every ingredient for everything.They even have shopping carts so you can haul it all around. 1 block away.
And they have wino winnebagos as well? Cool! Uhh, can you get a DUI in a shopping cart?