Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey Gary, looking forward to seeing your cardboard oven contraption put to the test. I say the heck with meat and potatoes, lets go for the pies and cakes!!

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #44
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
John,

We did a family tent campout with some neighbors back when the kids were still pretty small, about 4-5 families. We were the only ones with real cooking equipment. B-fast for many was cold cereal, we had traditional eggs and PIG. They didn't even bring coffee cups, get your cup over there in the chuck wagon (our do-it-all trailer) but for the community dinner, one lady proudly produced a frozen raw potato casserole. I fired up our oven and about an hour later, piping hot and bubbling. We produced a cake to share later that evening and everyone was asking, Oh! did you you bring that from home? Nope, see that box over there?

It's all good.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Outstanding!! If you can cook like that in a cardboard box, I can only imagine what you can do at home with a real oven.

Gets me to thinking. I had entertained the thought of fixing "greater taters" on Sat nite. Super sized taters with all the fixins'. Along with a few sides, a meal in itself. The quandary was how to cook all the taters. My Holland does a great job but has a small capacity.

So.....enter your cardboard oven. Problem solved.

If you think it will work let me know and we'll put it on the menu for Sat nite. There will likely be leftover Chili from Fri nite so we can throw it in the mix too.

Cheap thrills. Cost of admission: 1 potato.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
John,

Never done taters in the box oven. If I wanted baked taters, wrapped in foil and in the coals, 45 minutes later, got butter?

I'm better over wood or coals or even smoking. But I can make a lot of heat in the box.

One Assistant Scout Master that I showed this to in its early version went meat loaf crazy, but his oven was not quite up to the task mechanically, good intentions, yes, results no. He was a bit low on heat, added sticks, not good, went up in flames.

Can I hook up now?

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well, scrap the taters, the floor is now open for suggestions.

There is still a small chance I will be able to lay hands on another box of the flounder fillets but we will need a back up plan if I can't produce.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #48
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
John,

It's an oven, I've just never done taters in it.
S/OS #001
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Gary, I was thinking the tater thing would be a simple, set-it-forget-it cooking type of supper, minimal work for everyone. Less work = more fun time. Some pre prepped , chopped up add on stuff like ham, cheese, mushrooms,what-ever-you-like kind of stuff to build the "biggest baked potato I've ever seen in my life" kind of thing. Maybe a salad or pasta and another side or two to fill everyone up.

I also have a big 30 or so cup coffee maker. Maybe coffee and doughnuts for Sat/Sun morning, plus anything else anyone wants to throw in.. The cafe in the Service center will also be open for a good, hot, cheap breakfast.

And speaking of the service center, the latest issue of the Blue Beret lists Tom Johnson Camping Center as a new Airstream Dealer. Maybe some new silver to look at.

Also,I will have a dozen or so of the now infamous Alumalina t-shirts . This time they are white with a royal blue logo. Also once again available for about the cost of a 12 pack of beer.

I have 2 of the push up tents and a 6' table. We can make a central gathering point for the festivities.

So folks, don't be shy. Jump in here with any thoughts, suggestions, concerns.

Only about 10 days to blast off.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Tongue weight: solve the mystery

I will also be bringing along my Sherline Tongue Weight Scale for anyone interested in determining the tongue weight of their trailer. Usually just a guess. The parking pads at the campground are dead level concrete, important for an accurate measurement. Only takes a few minutes.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Can I hook up now please? I'm ready LETS GO!
S/OS #001
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Me too!! Weather looks good, leaves should be awesome. Just need the troops.

Are we there yet?
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
It is nice and cool. It will be perfect for an evening fireside chat. I am still trying to figure out how to make getting there work. I'll let you know if it is possible.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Jon, hope it works out for you to join us. We're practically in your back yard.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Just reserved a site. Will arrive well after dinner on friday. Will join in any fireside chats available.
What type of beer are we using as a comparison for the shirt. That could be a wide margin.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Outstanding Jon, glad you could get down off the mountain and join us. We will be up and waiting.

I mostly drink the cheap stuff, the 10 bucks a 12 pack kind. I did splurge today and bought a nice bottle of blended Scotch for the occasion. Along with some Bud Lite.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Closed Thread