Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #241
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
John,

I'm a DO and cast iron open fire cooking enthusiast. Maggie is a DO Pro favoring baking which I think is a challenging task to master the heat for baking in the DO. I had some good fun with my DO this week in camp and the idea for this spring was to just demonstrate and share DO cooking and maybe make a few converts to this versatile tool. While nothing seems to be cast in iron yet, we'll be cooking and sharing.

Got one, bring it. We'll share and learn from each other.

Bought a new to me used piece of cast iron this week too, need to test it out.

I'll be getting with Sandlapper regarding breakfast ideas, pancakes are a top idea we'll just get the line a bit better laid out this time and maybe something different for Sunday b-fast too.

Really looking forward to Maggie getting me going on a bread in my DO.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I'd be interested to see how others clean their DO. I always have trouble cleaning mine which is why I don't use it very much. I've used the liners which work but I'd like to figure out how to cook liner-less with manageable cleaning. Learning the techniques for bread sounds great too!

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #243
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Karen,

Right of the top two thoughts. Is it well seasoned? A good well seasoned surface helps everything, cooking and cleaning. And maybe been running a bit hot. If it's not burned cleanup should be pretty easy. I'm using non abrasive cleaning pads.

Bring it, let's cook.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Seasoned cast iron cleans well, but I still coat it before each new session and after cleaning, I warm and re-oil it. I find warm water and a nylon scraper (REI has inexpensive ones) work best for me.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER use soap, unless you plan to start over.

I use parchment for pineapple upside down cake. I also use it if water for clean up is not available.

Looking forward to cooking together.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #245
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia

I've only made cobbler in it before. Maybe I do need some parchment for that as it was hard to get the crusted fruit off the sides even with the scraper. Other things may be easier to clean. I do here that lots of people make breakfast casseroles in them. I think that might be hard to clean off too. I'm going to bring mine and learn from the experts -looking forward to it.

Karen
Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #246
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Karen, is that what you were cooking in the front yard bonfire on Thanksgiving?
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
I've only made cobbler in it before. Maybe I do need some parchment for that as it was hard to get the crusted fruit off the sides even with the scraper. Other things may be easier to clean. I do here that lots of people make breakfast casseroles in them. I think that might be hard to clean off too. I'm going to bring mine and learn from the experts -looking forward to it.

Karen
The liners are really great for sticky/sweet things like cobbler, monkey bread, etc. The sugar tends to caramelize and stick, then bringing bits of the iron with it when and if you finally get it loose.

I have found, too, that the cast iron tends to absorb cinnamon from pie, cobbler, apple brown betty, etc., and then succeeding items take on the cinnamon flavor. Cinnamon is good, but not in all things, and the liners provide a good barrier.

My experience is that cast iron likes grease best, If ours starts to look unhappy, like it isn't seasoned well enough, we will set it on a fire and fry bacon or sausage in it. Wipe it out good and wipe again with some hot water...voila!

Cast iron is also happiest when it is well-used. Cook something in it on a regular basis, with a good coating of oil in the surface even if you are using a liner.

Maggie
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #248
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My wife uses browning bags in crockpot and other difficult to clean pots. You just peel out after use. Yeah, it is a heavy plastic.. Hard to dispose but when you compare to busted knuckles, lack of water.. Well, it makes sense to me..

But, I am only a guy!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #249
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia

Karen, is that what you were cooking in the front yard bonfire on Thanksgiving?
__________________________________________________ __________

Heard you were in the neighborhood on Thanksgiving . That would be a good idea for next year - cobbler rather than pies.

Karen
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #250
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Alien invasion

Susan and I spent a long weekend at Wateree over Thanksgiving. When I checked in at the office, told the nice lady who I was, she laughed. " Your friends have been calling like crazy".

She said when she drove through the campground back in September to take a look, "it looked like some kind of alien invasion, all those shiny Airstreams parked amongst the trees".

My reply was "you ain't seen nothing yet, we have 50 coming next March, twice as many as last time".

She said "oh yea, I know, I've been checking them all in".

Invasion of the silver tubers.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Maggie
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #252
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1971 18' Caravel
Charlotte , North Carolina
King Possum (aka Sandlapper)

Wait till they see all the silver tubers and everyone cooking with DO's outside with the Chairman Gary and Co-Chairman Maggie teaching the seminars all over their State Park. Best yet we will be using charcoal not fresh cut green pines. That only happens in the Tar Heel State parks in case of emergency.

We may be able to smoke out a couple of Lake Wateree State Park possums? That may be the reserve possums we need in case we have a lot outside visitors coming in to see what is going on with this group of shiny travelers.

We do need to think of cooking pits when the classes get going? We will have to save room in the fire pits for cowboy coffee?

That is my two cents on this subject.

One last comment John, I hope State Park people are Prepared for this fun loving group of Airstream people that is on our way the last of March?

Back up on my branch to watch the forest.

Regards,

Big Hooter
Big Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hooter View Post
King Possum (aka Sandlapper)

Wait till they see all the silver tubers and everyone cooking with DO's outside with the Chairman Gary and Co-Chairman Maggie teaching the seminars all over their State Park. Best yet we will be using charcoal not fresh cut green pines. That only happens in the Tar Heel State parks in case of emergency.

We do need to think of cooking pits when the classes get going? We will have to save room in the fire pits for cowboy coffee?

Back up on my branch to watch the forest.

Regards,

Big Hooter
Please don't oversell me, BH.

Just a mere mortal here, with a bit more experience with DO baking than some.

When we want to use our DO and no firepit is available, we put a sheet of heavy duty foil on a patch of dirt or sand and do the coals there.

Works great and, once the coals are cooled, you just wrap it up and throw it away.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #254
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I'm loving it already.....

........the DO thing. I'm for focusing on it as the main Sat am seminar, along with the maintenance/fixer upper/repair something theme. A March rally is a break out rally, so perhaps we can help get everyone off to a good start for the travel season.

Who knows, we may even create a new recipe with baked possum.

Gary, lead the way. You've got back up.

Possum
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #255
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
John,

Been doing a little practicing last week and more to follow. Linda likes a bean and ham hock soup, might do that Thursday. I'm leaning towards a beef roast possibly on Friday and Sat I'm hoping to present a bread with Maggie's help. B-fast you mentioned the DO mangled egg dish so we've got lots of possibles plus?????

I think the big thing will be demonstrating a bit and coaxing a few DO's to come out of storage and get to cooking. If anyone is looking for a bit of info visit Lodge - Videos for videos and some recipes. They show how to clean (they even address the S O A P question!)and re-season cast iron even if its been neglected, if you have an old piece and want to dump it, I'll dispose of it for you just bring it next spring.

John, I'll give you a call one night this week but one thing we may need a bit of OK from the SP on is permission to expand our hot zone for the DO cooking, we'll chat. Remember, its just like the BSA leave the campsite better than you found it.

O Boy, almost forgot and don't have a pic right now I'll get it later. We have 2 Possum logs to burn too. Those that sat with Thor at Carowinds will know what those are.

Gary
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm up for baking bread as a group Saturday morning.

Anyone who wants to get into this will find it an amazingly simple process that turns out a yummy, chewy loaf of bread.

I have this great recipe, with a couple of variations (new pic coming tomorrow, post-baking), which we will start on Friday and bake on Saturday.

We can perhaps do some sides and dessert on Friday and/or Saturday night, too.

Gary and I will get this pulled together, by the rally, and with a plan.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #257
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
John,

O Boy, almost forgot and don't have a pic right now I'll get it later. We have 2 Possum logs to burn too. Those that sat with Thor at Carowinds will know what those are.

Gary
I've always found the toughest part of cooking possum in a DO is to get them to sit still long enough o get the lid on. Can't wait for the possum logs - awesome!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #258
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
My backyard, possum log with about 6 big pine cones in it NO WE WILL NOT BE PUSHING IT LIKE THIS this was at my home. But they still work great by them self.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3168510606.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	201102  
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #259
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
For those of us who have never cooked with a DO, and don't own one...what do we look for when purchasing? Size? Preparing it for use? Where to buy? How long does it take to cook with one of these? Looking forward to the seminar...

Bob "Roadrunner"
Indiana, PA
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #260
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Bob,

If you can get Lodge you are getting a really good one. I think Maggie likes the 12" camp oven as a general use, not too big not too small. Lodge is preseasoned and ready to get started. I think the challenge is learning temp control. If you're cooking meat in it a heat that sounds like bacon cooking is a good starting temp, just a little sizzle.

Look at their website for info but even Wally World carries lodge along with sporting goods and even hardware stores that favor outdoor cooking.

Gary