Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #533
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Brad, the stress and strain of a year's worth of rally plannimg has taken its tole on my Clint Eastwood looks, not to mention what it's done to my brain. Not much left.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #534
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Talking Soothing my regrets

John,
Although Di and I won't be able to attend I discovered a way to be there in spirit, . Last weekend went so the furthest reaches of NC and bought a 74 Argosy 26. 5 hrs of driving only to discover a driveway at least 1/2mi long at a 12 degree uphill pitch, solid ice and snow. Not one to let a little hill deter me went to the top and found this IMG_20131229_141851.jpg

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #535
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Oops
Pic did not load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131229_141851.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	204135  
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #536
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

Congratulations!

Maggie
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #537
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Oops
Pic did not load.
Great looking Argosy. I guess the driveway issue was to make sure that you really wanted it. Good thing that you weren't towing it up a 12 degree snow and ice covered drive. Looks like they cleared the snow and ice from around the trailer for you.

Dan
Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #538
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Steve, nice find.

Now you can have a his and hers.

Maybe we see it at an Alumalina soon.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #539
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Argosy

Sadly the trailer is still a 1/2 mi up a 12 degree driveway. Waiting for PO to call me when driveway is snow/ice free. Don't think it will be ready to use by then. But, hey with "global warming" I'm sure it will be an early spring.
Steve
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #540
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well heck Steve, we know it isn't gonna thaw out any time soon. Weatherman says more cold coming.

Now I'm just hoping for semi warm weather for the rally.

BTW, I love that stripe on the side of your Argosy. Is that original or custom? Looks really good.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #541
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Paint

John,
Not sure if its an original paint job or not. Planned to ask all the good folks here what they thought. By the way this started out in South Carolina.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #542
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenville , South Carolina
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thinking more about doing Dutch Oven workshop(s), (I'm a compulsive planner, and only have 4 months) it might be helpful and fun to do some cook-together things, for those that have DO's and are interested.

I am perfecting at home a new, single-loaf, bread recipe that is super-simple and can be done by anyone....will fine-tune it in the DO when we are next on the road in January. Certainly, bread is what we do most often in ours, but we have a couple of other easy and predictably good items, too.

I was thinking Gary & I could plan a couple of items people can do together, give an ingredient list ahead of time for those that want to participate, then at an appointed time we just all do them together.

????

Maggie
Got my DO the other day at Walmart (6 qt with legs). This is a cool idea, and I'm ready to learn! Think how good it will smell with all those DO's cooking! I've not tried this before. It will be fun!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #543
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great! I have also had some emails from folks on what to get. This is going to be great fun.

It is going to be near 60 degrees here today, so we are going to bake Road Loaf #3. Whole wheat and steel-cut oats in the same loaf. Should be yummy.

We think we have the briquette numbers and outdoor technique figured out, so cross your fingers and I'll post a pic later.

I showed my southern MS cousins how to make this bread in their home oven a week or so ago. They were amazed at the simplicity. It came out great, and the two of them had eaten half the loaf by themselves by the end of the first day.

Did you know Bayou Classic makes a DO with an inverted lid for coals but a flat bottom surface for putting on a grate over a firepit? Might be fun to play with something like that, if anyone has one. Seems like this would be perfect for something like a stew, chili, pot pie, etc., with a bread or crust topping.

I have put together a few pages just on DO outdoor cooking basics, info gleaned from online and written resources, which Gary suggested be put into a pdf format.

Once my son helps me figure out how to do that from the IPad, , I will post it here....hopefully in the next few days, so folks will have a chance to familiarize themselves with some of the fundamental how-to's. Will also bring some hard copies to the rally.

Will do the same with the bread recipe and instructions, closer to rally time.

The sun is shining here in southern LA. Feels like spring!

See y'all later,

Maggie
Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #544
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Road loaf #3.

Much better!

Note to self: winds last time likely made a big difference.

Timely adjustment to the top coals would have eliminated the dark spot. Next time.

All in all.....comin' right along.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	204316  
Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #545
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Great! I have also had some emails from folks on what to get. This is going to be great fun.

It is going to be near 60 degrees here today, so we are going to bake Road Loaf #3. Whole wheat and steel-cut oats in the same loaf. Should be yummy.

We think we have the briquette numbers and outdoor technique figured out, so cross your fingers and I'll post a pic later.

I showed my southern MS cousins how to make this bread in their home oven a week or so ago. They were amazed at the simplicity. It came out great, and the two of them had eaten half the loaf by themselves by the end of the first day.

Did you know Bayou Classic makes a DO with an inverted lid for coals but a flat bottom surface for putting on a grate over a firepit? Might be fun to play with something like that, if anyone has one. Seems like this would be perfect for something like a stew, chili, pot pie, etc., with a bread or crust topping.

I have put together a few pages just on DO outdoor cooking basics, info gleaned from online and written resources, which Gary suggested be put into a pdf format.

Once my son helps me figure out how to do that from the IPad, , I will post it here....hopefully in the next few days, so folks will have a chance to familiarize themselves with some of the fundamental how-to's. Will also bring some hard copies to the rally.

Will do the same with the bread recipe and instructions, closer to rally time.

The sun is shining here in southern LA. Feels like spring!

See y'all later,

Maggie
Ooooh..the whole wheat/steel cut oats recipe sounds wonderful! I got the Lodge DO at Walmart. We're into whole grain, fruits, vegs thing these days because of my recent breast cancer diagnosis in Sept. (All is well, caught very early and post surgery/radiation) Would love that recipe!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #546
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
Ooooh..the whole wheat/steel cut oats recipe sounds wonderful! I got the Lodge DO at Walmart. We're into whole grain, fruits, vegs thing these days because of my recent breast cancer diagnosis in Sept. (All is well, caught very early and post surgery/radiation) Would love that recipe!
Sorry to hear of your illness. Hope all continues to go well.

I will include this as one of the bread variations, when I post the recipe and baking instructions a bit closer to rally time.

This came out as delicious as all the others.

Maggie