Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #741
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Changing subject from food to activities...
Anyone bringing their kayak...bikes..

We will have our kayak and bikes with us, so maybe those of us wanting to get some fresh air, enjoy our beautiful surroundings and keep our bones lubricated so our bodies don't freeze up can gather to paddle, ride, hike or all.
Bringing both!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #742
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Okay, just don't tell me that possum is greasy and that it is also bad for ya.

And hey Gaven, I actually have a date in mind for the Fall rally but need to check with the Park first. The ladies at the desk are a mother/daughter team. Mom works the weekdays, daughter the weekends.

John

Cool, thanks,
G
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #743
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Changing subject from food to activities...
Anyone bringing their kayak...bikes..

We will have our kayak and bikes with us, so maybe those of us wanting to get some fresh air, enjoy our beautiful surroundings and keep our bones lubricated so our bodies don't freeze up can gather to paddle, ride, hike or all.
We have our bikes.

I have also added to my bucket list to kayak If I feel brave enough, possibly some kindly fellow camper will.......

Maggie
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #744
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
bikes

Yes, I will be bringing my bike, hope there are some nice trails nearby. I am also an avid hiker, and want to try kayaking. 28 days from now I will be arriving at Wateree!!!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #745
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
FYI
  • This 238-acre park is located on Lake Wateree, one of South Carolina's premier fishing lakes, with over 13,700 acres and 242 miles of shoreline. The lake is popular for fishing, boating and other water-related activities. The dam was completed in 1919, making it one of the oldest lakes in the state. The park provides a habitat for many species of wildlife, with an abundance of whitetail deer, gray squirrels, raccoons, opossums and wild turkey. Bird species include egrets, blue heron, mallards and wood ducks. A large oak tree in the picnic area dates back over 100 years.
  • Walking/Nature Trails : The Desportes Island Trail is a moderate .7-mile loop trail.
  • Biking Trails : Biking is allowed on the paved roads of the park and along the Desportes Island Trail.
  • Fishing Information : Fishing for bream, catfish, crappie and bass may be enjoyed in Lake Wateree. Visitors may fish anywhere from the banks of the park. A valid South Carolina fishing license is required.
  • Check out Old English District and Camden on line sites for lots of additional information on the history and tons to do in the area.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #746
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
My Dr. Agrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
not to throw cold water on that recipe but you all need to check into how bad white flour and extra gluten are for your health. Sorry !! I just had to say as it has made a tremendous difference in my heart health cutting those out.. Read Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis.

not preachin' hopefully teachin'...
Yep I am not yet 50 and my Dr. agrees that this may be what is causing me some problems. Apparently I have a "gene" that likes carbohydrates and stores them all in very bad ways. I am on a extremely low carb diet with no refined sugars or flour. It has been an adjustment for me for sure. There is a lot of "LOVE" in a carbohydrate. I have been on the diet for the past 2 months and have lost 15lbs. I am supposed to have a follow-up appointment in early April. Thinking about having him take my levels before the trip as my guess is they will not be as good when I return. The good news is possum is still on the "healthy" list. Looking forward to cooking lots of goodies and eating in moderation what I can. I will enjoy watching others who are fortunate enough to eat differently than I am.

I do have a wonderful recipe for mixed greens in a Dutch oven that is the best. My Dr. approves as well.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #747
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Yep I am not yet 50 and my Dr. agrees that this may be what is causing me some problems. Apparently I have a "gene" that likes carbohydrates and stores them all in very bad ways. I am on a extremely low carb diet with no refined sugars or flour. It has been an adjustment for me for sure. There is a lot of "LOVE" in a carbohydrate. I have been on the diet for the past 2 months and have lost 15lbs. I am supposed to have a follow-up appointment in early April. Thinking about having him take my levels before the trip as my guess is they will not be as good when I return. The good news is possum is still on the "healthy" list. Looking forward to cooking lots of goodies and eating in moderation what I can. I will enjoy watching others who are fortunate enough to eat differently than I am.

I do have a wonderful recipe for mixed greens in a Dutch oven that is the best. My Dr. approves as well.
Glad to hear you are getting a grip on this. There are so many who are not aware of the problems. I have reversed my coronary artery disease by following Dr Davis recomendations. Best of health to you...I have a great low carb no grain bread recipe if you PM me I will send it to you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #748
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
It appears that we may not be Jeep camping with you fine folks. My husband has to work that Friday, and so we would be coming down for Sat/Sun. We are slated to leave for St. Croix the following Tuesday, so money will probably be tight as we prepare for that trip. We'll have to play it by ear...I hate to miss out on all the fun. But if fall dates are announced, I will be making a reservation!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #749
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
We took our bikes last fall...it is a great place to ride. Now if I could just figure out how to load our kayaks...

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #750
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
yard sale

OK, here is an almost new A/C cover (was a replacement for a Coleman TSR) that I need out of the garage. it is a two piece shroud that I bought/ never used. Can anyone going to Alumalina use it? John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC shroud.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	206532  
Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #751
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
ride

RoadRunner, where there did you ride? I mostly do rails to trails and such. I enjoy 15-20 miles in an afternoon. i have been looking on the SC state park site, not sure what I will find. Suggetions welcomed. John
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #752
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
RoadRunner, where there did you ride? I mostly do rails to trails and such. I enjoy 15-20 miles in an afternoon. i have been looking on the SC state park site, not sure what I will find. Suggetions welcomed. John
Go back a few posts to my post 745: Biking Trails : Biking is allowed on the paved roads of the park and along the Desportes Island Trail

LIFE STYLE: NO salt, NO caffeinated coffee; NO convenience meals, NO preservatives, NO chemicals, NO fried foods, NO sat fats. NO white foods (pastas, rice, potatoes, flour) except cauliflower.
Avoid refined sugars, use honey and real maple syrup. If you can't read the back of it, don't buy it. Replace all of the above w DARK CHOCOLATE.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #753
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
bike trails

The park site says the Desportes trail is .7 of a mile, not quite as long as my driveway, LOL. I am researching biking in the area. I have found some trails in the 15 mile lenght. I hope they are very small unused roads, or real trails. John
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #754
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
It appears that we may not be Jeep camping with you fine folks. My husband has to work that Friday, and so we would be coming down for Sat/Sun. We are slated to leave for St. Croix the following Tuesday, so money will probably be tight as we prepare for that trip. We'll have to play it by ear...I hate to miss out on all the fun. But if fall dates are announced, I will be making a reservation!
Too bad.

Let everyone know for sure, as we get closer, as we will then have room at pur site for an extra vehicle, if someone who hasn't been able to get a site wants to buddy-up.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #755
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:

Go back a few posts to my post 745: Biking Trails : Biking is allowed on the paved roads of the park and along the Desportes Island Trail

LIFE STYLE: NO salt, NO caffeinated coffee; NO convenience meals, NO preservatives, NO chemicals, NO fried foods, NO sat fats. NO white foods (pastas, rice, potatoes, flour) except cauliflower.
Avoid refined sugars, use honey and real maple syrup. If you can't read the back of it, don't buy it. Replace all of the above w DARK CHOCOLATE.
sounds great...maybe we should start a new heathy eating thread so others herre don't have to weed thru our posts,, I did that-

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1421354

I do drink coffee though And I eat healthy fats...coconut oil and olive oil and grass fed butter
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #756
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Too bad.

Let everyone know for sure, as we get closer, as we will then have room at pur site for an extra vehicle, if someone who hasn't been able to get a site wants to buddy-up.

Maggie
We already have a taker to share our site, if lonewolf is unable to attend.

A very popular rally.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #757
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
sounds great...maybe we should start a new heathy eating thread so others herre don't have to weed thru our posts,, I did that-

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1421354

I do drink coffee though And I eat healthy fats...coconut oil and olive oil and grass fed butter
Yes!

Much more appropriate place for all this.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #758
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1971 18' Caravel
Charlotte , North Carolina
Roadrunner can you give (Sandlapper and Big Hooter) us an assist with this diet issue?

The possums are starting to move around down here in the Tar Heel state, but most of them are really fat? But I have been reading the thread and everything I like is bad for me? I am concerned about the air we breath since it was in China just five days ago. I guess it is time for me to fly back into my nest tree?

Big Hooter

Big Hooter
Big Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #759
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Hooter and John...I'm afraid I can't be of much help. We eat groundhogs up here and they have a high level of fat. But put them in a pan with some potatoes and beans...um um. Since you'll be our neighbor...I'll be sure to fry some up...just follow your nose!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #760
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Let's see here......

stewed possum

fried fish

bacon, sausage, eggs,

pies, cakes

specialty beer

single malt

Wilkes county spring water

and.....Rita

sounds good to me. Everything is good in moderation.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote