Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #701
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
DO liners are available at WalMart.

A roll of parchment paper might also be helpful, if you are going to do bread.

I pirated this idea from another thread and bread recipe.....much, much simpler than what I had been doing.

We baked a loaf this am for friends who are having company for Mardi Gras week. They had graciously taken us in for a night so we can accept delivery of a part at their address.

Maggie
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #702
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been using the black metal base of a disposable charcoal grill to do DO bread.

Line it with foil to help with cleanup, works perfectly and leaves no scorch or burn marks beneath.

Maggie
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #703
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
DO liners are available at WalMart.

A roll of parchment paper might also be helpful, if you are going to do bread.

I pirated this idea from another thread and bread recipe.....much, much simpler than what I had been doing.

We baked a loaf this am for friends who are having company for Mardi Gras week. They had graciously taken us in for a night so we can accept delivery of a part at their address.

Maggie

Maggie,
I must have missed it -- did you, or rather, would you share your whole wheat bread recipe? It looks delicious!
I'm Dense here -- where are the recipes?
Some people don't like to share recipes - that's respected but I still don't understand it.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #704
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Maggie,
I must have missed it -- did you, or rather, would you share your whole wheat bread recipe? It looks delicious!
I'm Dense here -- where are the recipes?
Some people don't like to share recipes - that's respected but I still don't understand it.
I haven't shared my current recipes just yet.....but I will. If you look at the recent Dutch Oven size thread, someone posted a beer bread recipe there that looks delicious....although my recipe is less complicated.

If you look back on this thread, I have been using a single loaf recipe I found.....modifying and perfecting it as to content and variations , and now outside, with charcoal.

I am going to post the recipes on this thread soon. Have been working up tried-and-true variations to include. Will send Gary a pdf., if I can ever stop tweaking it, which he can post but I cannot from the iPad,

We and a number of others, I believe, will be doing at least this bread with charcoal at this rally in about a month. If you are available, maybe you can drive over, if it's not too far......I'll have pretty potholders for you.

The bread is exquisitely delicious, equally and exquisitely easy and adaptable to all manner of variations.

Doing it with well with charcoal has taken some work, as it has some quirks, but 8-10 road loaves later we have pretty well got that figured out.

Stay tuned.....or come and join us.

Maggie
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #705
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Seems like bread is "covered up". So, as in past years, we will be bringing that favorite of dishes, the Cranberry Scat. People seem to love it, or at least it seems to get a lot of press.

We will also be bringing about 8-10 folding tables. Now John has asked me to coordinate making sure we have tents to cover the food and/or us in case of inclement weather, so please let me know, or post on the site, who is able to bring tents for this auspicious event, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	206376  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #706
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Hey Dave...feel free to throw your tent on site 59. Might even have room inside...don't know who is making the trip yet!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #707
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Bob,
I will take you up on that!

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #708
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm......Cranberry Scat.

Maybe I'll make Frogeye Salad.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #709
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
peach cobbler recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Not this year.

I have a great peach cobbler recipe that I have made successfully in the DO, and that is my tentative plan for Saturday night. Equally yummy, but not quite as labor-intensive.

Starting to get excited about the rally....it's getting really close.

Maggie
If you could share that peach cobbler recipe via p/m or post it, it would be much appreciated. We bought a DO years ago and have used it very little. The recipes I tried in it for peach cobblers seemed to be more sugar cobblers that were peach flavored. I've found at the ripe old age of 53 that I'm more sensitive to sugar headaches. Although the ones I made were good, they were way too sweet. I have to drink my sweet tea 50/50 now (sweet/unsweet)...a "mixed drink".

Thanks, G
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #710
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Watch for bears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Seems like bread is "covered up". So, as in past years, we will be bringing that favorite of dishes, the Cranberry Scat. People seem to love it, or at least it seems to get a lot of press.

We will also be bringing about 8-10 folding tables. Now John has asked me to coordinate making sure we have tents to cover the food and/or us in case of inclement weather, so please let me know, or post on the site, who is able to bring tents for this auspicious event, thanks!
That reminds me of the difference between grizzly bear scat and black bear scat. They say in an area where there are bears that you should put little bells on your showlaces. If you come across black bear scat, it will be brown and lumpy...black bears don't like noise and will shy away from the sound when you are walking on a trail.

Grizzly bear scat is easily identifiable on a trail as well...it looks the same as Black Bear scat but it has little bells in it...

Thanks, G
Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #711
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
If you could share that peach cobbler recipe via p/m or post it, it would be much appreciated. We bought a DO years ago and have used it very little. The recipes I tried in it for peach cobblers seemed to be more sugar cobblers that were peach flavored. I've found at the ripe old age of 53 that I'm more sensitive to sugar headaches. Although the ones I made were good, they were way too sweet. I have to drink my sweet tea 50/50 now (sweet/unsweet)...a "mixed drink".

Thanks, G

Maggie,

My bad...in my speed reading, I didn't see your previous post advising you weren't sharing recipes just yet...or I wouldn't asked same question as previous so, please disregard. That's cool. I admire your tenacity at perfecting your recipes. Unfortunately, I work two jobs jobs and just don't have the time for the repeat, change, repeat process...thus why my Dutch Oven has been parked nearly since I bought it. I'm really good on a Green Egg type grill and guess I will stick to that until my schedule frees up...which appears to be about the Summer of 2022!

thanks, G
Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #712
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Thanks, G
I'll do that for you in a pm in a bit.

I don't hesitate to reduce the sugar amounts in things like cobbler, also use half sugar and half splenda sometimes, especially with brown sugar.

I also double the fruit quantity and then use just one recipe of topping..

Maggie
Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #713
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Maggie,

My bad...in my speed reading, I didn't see your previous post advising you weren't sharing recipes just yet...or I wouldn't asked same question as previous so, please disregard. That's cool. I admire your tenacity at perfecting your recipes. Unfortunately, I work two jobs jobs and just don't have the time for the repeat, change, repeat process...thus why my Dutch Oven has been parked nearly since I bought it. I'm really good on a Green Egg type grill and guess I will stick to that until my schedule frees up...which appears to be about the Summer of 2022!

thanks, G
It's okay. I'm fixin to share here the bread recipe for a traditional DO. People can practice with it as they like beforehand.

Not going to share the charcoal technique until after the rally. There has to be something for the event, don'tcha know.

I love the idea of a group of us baking, en masse, at the rally.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #714
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
John, do you have a date for the next Alumalina? Fall?

I just made approximately the 50th call to the campground office for cancellations...and I have to say that Patricia, Aiden and James all patiently checked for us each time. We've also been checking the website and signed up more than two months ago for the email cancellation list but it doesn't look like anything is going to come up...so we're throwing in the towel. My schedule is a little more flexible but my wife's job has to get someone in advance to cover her position while she is out...off days are a big deal for her job as she only works full days W, T and Friday. We considered just towing up there thinking someone might not show that day but it's a 5.5 hour trip and I'm not known to have the best luck.

I don't get on the forum often, I had never heard of this rally until talking with Sandlapper at Falluminum. It sounds like a great one and hopefully, we can make it next year...or later in the year if there is a Fall one.

My wife's sister lives nearby and we were hoping to coordinate a visit so she could see her as well as they don't get to see each other often.

In addition, thanks to an unnamed friend coming to the rally that offered to let us stay with them. A most gracious offer.

Someone has hired me to polish a Bambi, so I'll use that weekend to slave away on that while you guys are living it up...or frying it up!

Thanks, G
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #715
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Cow-ward campers....

Nilesrob/Brad, I'm not sure what your cow pic is about but here you go...

thanks, G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cow-ards.photo.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	206429  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #716
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maggie's Dutch Oven Artisan Bread

Okay, going to post in parts the bread recipe I have worked up....so as to not be so anal about it and so folks can play with it beforehand, if they like.

As I said, going to save the charcoal technique for the rally, will then post that part and have Gary do it in its'' entirety in a pdf.

Maggie

Maggie's DO Artisan Bread Part 1
(an adaptation of Jim Leahy's "No Knead Artisan Bread")

Basic Loaf Ingredients.....for a 12", 5 quart or larger DO:

3 cups unbleached white flour
3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (Red Mill, top shelf of baking section in your grocery store)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm tap water

Extra flour for shaping
Coarse cornmeal

Variations

Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup whole wheat flour

Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup rye flour, add 2 tablespoons caraway seed

Add 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oats, cracked wheat, 7 grain cereal, etc., to flour mixture

Substitute 1 cup unbleached white flour for 1 cup 7 grain bread flour, reduce salt to 1 teaspoon

Add 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans and grated rind of 2 oranges to flour mixture

Add 1 cup raisins or chopped dried apple, 1 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to flour mixture

Whisk 1/2 cup cooked, cooled oatmeal into warm water before adding to flour mixture, reduce water by 1/4 cup

Optional add-ins:

2 tablespoons one of the following:

ground flax meal
coarse cornmeal
wheat germ
wheat bran
sesame seeds
(whatever you might like...dried herbs?....use your imagination)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #717
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Part 2

Tools needed:

Large, 3-4 quart, bowl
Heavy whisk, beater or wooden spoon, rubber spatula
Elastic bowl cover or similar item
Waxed paper
Parchment paper

Step 1--mix: The day before baking, mix all dry ingredients together in bowl. Add warm water and stir/turn by hand until all flour is incorporated. Dough will be wet and sticky, rather the consistency of a biscuit dough. Scrape bowl down with spatula, cover with elastic bowl cover and set aside at room temperature 18-24 hours. Exact amount of time is not important. When ready, dough will have at least doubled in size and appear spongey.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #718
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Part 3

Step 2--shape/rest: Prepare a sheet of parchment paper, cut generally to fit the inside bottom of your DO, sprinkling generously with coarse cornmeal, oats, wheat bran, etc. Set aside.

Sprinkle a few tablespoons of flour onto a sheet of waxed paper or other work surface. Scrape dough from bowl onto floured surface.

Using the floured wax paper to begin, gently fold and press edges of dough toward center, about 6 times, shaping into a rough rectangle or square. Pinch edges together, brush any seriously excess flour from dough and place seam-side down onto prepared parchment paper. Place parchment paper bundle back into your bowl. Cover with bowl cover or saran wrap and let rest about one hour.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #719
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Part 4

Step 3---Bake

Preheat your oven and a traditional DO (together) to 450 degrees

Remove bowl cover from dough. Snip top of dough 2-3 times with sharp scissors. Sprinkle with wheat bran, seeds of your choice, cornmeal, oats, etc., if desired.

Lift dough by parchment paper, place all quickly into DO and replace lid.

Bake 30 minutes, covered.

Remove lid and bake about 10 minutes more. This allows this moist bread to dry and crust to crisp.

Bread is done when browned and crusty, feels light and airy when you pick it up. Cool on a wire rack.

Don't overbake. We have seldom gone much over 40 minutes, but for the fruit filled breads, which are a bit more dense and take a couple more minutes.

Let bread cool several hours before slicing. Store in airtight something.

Keeps well several days....it is the vital wheat gluten, methinks.

Enjoy! Bring your favorite to the rally and we can all bake with charcoal together.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #720
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks for the detailed, tried and true recipe!

Much appreciated!

G