Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #541
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Paint

John,
Not sure if its an original paint job or not. Planned to ask all the good folks here what they thought. By the way this started out in South Carolina.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #542
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thinking more about doing Dutch Oven workshop(s), (I'm a compulsive planner, and only have 4 months) it might be helpful and fun to do some cook-together things, for those that have DO's and are interested.

I am perfecting at home a new, single-loaf, bread recipe that is super-simple and can be done by anyone....will fine-tune it in the DO when we are next on the road in January. Certainly, bread is what we do most often in ours, but we have a couple of other easy and predictably good items, too.

I was thinking Gary & I could plan a couple of items people can do together, give an ingredient list ahead of time for those that want to participate, then at an appointed time we just all do them together.

????

Maggie
Got my DO the other day at Walmart (6 qt with legs). This is a cool idea, and I'm ready to learn! Think how good it will smell with all those DO's cooking! I've not tried this before. It will be fun!
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #543
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great! I have also had some emails from folks on what to get. This is going to be great fun.

It is going to be near 60 degrees here today, so we are going to bake Road Loaf #3. Whole wheat and steel-cut oats in the same loaf. Should be yummy.

We think we have the briquette numbers and outdoor technique figured out, so cross your fingers and I'll post a pic later.

I showed my southern MS cousins how to make this bread in their home oven a week or so ago. They were amazed at the simplicity. It came out great, and the two of them had eaten half the loaf by themselves by the end of the first day.

Did you know Bayou Classic makes a DO with an inverted lid for coals but a flat bottom surface for putting on a grate over a firepit? Might be fun to play with something like that, if anyone has one. Seems like this would be perfect for something like a stew, chili, pot pie, etc., with a bread or crust topping.

I have put together a few pages just on DO outdoor cooking basics, info gleaned from online and written resources, which Gary suggested be put into a pdf format.

Once my son helps me figure out how to do that from the IPad, , I will post it here....hopefully in the next few days, so folks will have a chance to familiarize themselves with some of the fundamental how-to's. Will also bring some hard copies to the rally.

Will do the same with the bread recipe and instructions, closer to rally time.

The sun is shining here in southern LA. Feels like spring!

See y'all later,

Maggie
Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #544
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Road loaf #3.

Much better!

Note to self: winds last time likely made a big difference.

Timely adjustment to the top coals would have eliminated the dark spot. Next time.

All in all.....comin' right along.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	204316  
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #545
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Great! I have also had some emails from folks on what to get. This is going to be great fun.

It is going to be near 60 degrees here today, so we are going to bake Road Loaf #3. Whole wheat and steel-cut oats in the same loaf. Should be yummy.

We think we have the briquette numbers and outdoor technique figured out, so cross your fingers and I'll post a pic later.

I showed my southern MS cousins how to make this bread in their home oven a week or so ago. They were amazed at the simplicity. It came out great, and the two of them had eaten half the loaf by themselves by the end of the first day.

Did you know Bayou Classic makes a DO with an inverted lid for coals but a flat bottom surface for putting on a grate over a firepit? Might be fun to play with something like that, if anyone has one. Seems like this would be perfect for something like a stew, chili, pot pie, etc., with a bread or crust topping.

I have put together a few pages just on DO outdoor cooking basics, info gleaned from online and written resources, which Gary suggested be put into a pdf format.

Once my son helps me figure out how to do that from the IPad, , I will post it here....hopefully in the next few days, so folks will have a chance to familiarize themselves with some of the fundamental how-to's. Will also bring some hard copies to the rally.

Will do the same with the bread recipe and instructions, closer to rally time.

The sun is shining here in southern LA. Feels like spring!

See y'all later,

Maggie
Ooooh..the whole wheat/steel cut oats recipe sounds wonderful! I got the Lodge DO at Walmart. We're into whole grain, fruits, vegs thing these days because of my recent breast cancer diagnosis in Sept. (All is well, caught very early and post surgery/radiation) Would love that recipe!
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #546
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
Ooooh..the whole wheat/steel cut oats recipe sounds wonderful! I got the Lodge DO at Walmart. We're into whole grain, fruits, vegs thing these days because of my recent breast cancer diagnosis in Sept. (All is well, caught very early and post surgery/radiation) Would love that recipe!
Sorry to hear of your illness. Hope all continues to go well.

I will include this as one of the bread variations, when I post the recipe and baking instructions a bit closer to rally time.

This came out as delicious as all the others.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #547
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Calling all cabana boys/babes

We need to plan on creating our own cabana in case of inclement weather. Let me know if you have one of those 10 foot "tents" that we can cobble together. We probably need about a dozen, so PM and let me know if you can bring a tent and/or are willing to help with our equipment team.

We will be bringing around 8-10 folding tables ourselves, although we may need a few more, and everyone will need to bring their own chairs. Let me know if you can help - thanks!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #548
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1971 18' Caravel
Charlotte , North Carolina
Sandlapper(aka King Possum) Big Hooter here.... after the last couple of weeks of Arctic winter deep in the woods along the Blue Ridge Parkway, I have seen one half frozen possum out trying to make a living. John, I will tell you how cold it has been in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just yesterday I saw a Beagle with a set of jumper cables trying to start a rabbit, to have a good chase. Now that is cold.... -8 degrees with wind chill factor!

I need to fly back into my nest hole in my big oak tree to warm up. I will try to find a couple of possums in a couple of weeks when it warms up a little.

Sandlapper, remember the Big Hooter gives a hoot.

John
Big Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #549
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, no, no!!!

There will be NO inclement weather!

Maggie
Old 01-27-2014, 04:11 AM   #550
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks Darrell and Darrell for coordinating tent city. Even with the perfect weather the tents will be nice for gathering. Long long weather forcast is all smiles.

Hey Big Hooter, been wondering about our local possum......whether they are road kill or just plain ole frozen. Either way, they are preserved.

Closer than ever.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #551
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1971 18' Caravel
Charlotte , North Carolina
John,

The problem with gathering Road Kill it is to cold for the possum's to get out and move around on the roadways? It is an automatic RK if they get near the highways, because they move slower in cold weather. I will be checking out barns to see if some have found a warm place out of the weather. Being a Great Horned Owl, I plan on visiting my cousins that live in barns. My tree nest is getting really cold when the wind blows all the time.

Remember, the Big Hooter gives a hoot.

John
Big Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #552
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey John, might need some snow removal Tuesday.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #553
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
What we have.....and what we need

For the early arrivals on Thursday....

we have: 100 premo hot dogs, chili,some chips
we need: buns,m-m-k,slaw, onions,deserts, anything you want to add.

Friday night......

we have: our almost famous Possum Bog
we need: any breads, salads, pasta, deserts, anything you want to add

Saturday breakfast.....

we have: a big 30 cup coffee pot and coffee
we need: a pot luck breakfast. Bring your specialty.
Anything/everything. There will be some campfire hot
cakes and other DO delights.

Saturday supper.....

we have: Premo white fish fillets, devil crab, shrimp, hush puppies, french
fries, tarter sauce.
we need: Slaw, salad, deserts,ketchup, anything you want to add.

Some other needs....

we have: a humongus big blue tarp (just in case)
we need: 10x10 push up tents, to lash together to form 1 big one

We have: pikka nikka tables at each site, way to heavy to move
We need: portable folding tables to go under the tents.

Many hands make light work.

John

Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #554
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Food for thought...or thoughts for food

If you would like to bring something to the table to share, this may help.

hot dogs. No matter how you dress it, it's still just a hotdog.

Possum Bog. a big pot of "stew" consisting of possum(don't worry, tastes just like chikken), smoked sausage, rice, celery, carrots, onions, spices, anything else we can catch to throw in the pot.

Sat/Sunday breakfast..it's potluck, bring anything you want.

Fish fry Sat nite. Fried white fish, shrimp, devil crab, hp, ff.

Make it easy on yourself. Breads, salads, pastas, deserts. Your choice.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #555
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
Tent...check, Buns.....check, Baked beans for doggie night....check, Etc Etc Etc...check...... Is it march yet?

WBCCI 11239
Towjob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #556
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Some good things to know

There is little to no cell service in the park. Some of the lake fronts sites have a bit. Talk fast, it will likely break off.

We are 10 country miles off the interstate, and at least 18 country miles to any emergency services. Take care to stay safe.

The nearest small town is Great Falls, SC about 12 very country miles away. Nothing much there. A grocery store, Dollar General.

The nearest little bit bigger town is Winnsboro,SC about 18 country miles away. Walmart, big grocery stores, motels, Hospital

Remember to be discrete with any adult beverages.

The park office/tackle shop has some basic supplies, it's best to pack in what you need.

The campground road and sites are paved, the sites mostly level. Some blocking may be necessary to level completely side to side.

We are all on 1 paved loop, so it is very easy to parooze. A walk is fun. Everyone is close to all the fun stuff. It is all either at your front door, back door, or side door. 1 of the 2 bath houses is located in the gathering area.

There is no pavilion so we will be at the mercy of the weather. The tents will work just fine. Please bring one if you can.

The park is dark after sundown. Bring a good flashlight. Tiki torches through out the campground would be a nice touch.

Each site is 30a, water, has a fire ring and pikka nikka table. Trees. The dump station is located as you leave the CG.

We won't have much 110v power at the tent area, plan accordingly.

Gonna be fun.

John

Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #557
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjob1975 View Post
Tent...check, Buns.....check, Baked beans for doggie night....check, Etc Etc Etc...check...... Is it march yet?
Lisa, don't forget your camera....you are the official documenter of this shin dig.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #558
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For those who want to DO, mght be good to think about bringing your own portable cooking surface to this rally.

Gary had mentioned paving tiles, which can be picked up at Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc. We often use a sheet of heavy duty foil on a gravel or dirt surface, but that may not be feasible to do for large numbers.

We will also often cook in a suitable fire pit.....but all are not.

We will likely pick up a tile, although I haven't looked at them. It would need to be 15" square, I would think.

John, are the picnic tables wooden or cement? A tile on cement might work without marring the surface.

Suggestions, anyone?

Maggie
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #559
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Maggie, the tables are wooden. There is a fair amount of dirt in the vacinity of the fire pit, well worn from lots of use. a tile or heavy foil may work just fine. And there is probably ample room for the particpants. the Gary knows the area and can speak to that. I have seen folks use one of those aluminum "scaffolding" bench type things to cook on. Makes a nice work area and ya don't have to bend over quite so far.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #560
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
Camera...check

WBCCI 11239
Towjob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote