Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
newf?

Dan, Are you serious??? A newf puppy will fill your AS. Looks like an upgrade to a larger hunk of aluminum is in your future!!!!
My brother had one. It was a nice and docile dog. But HUGE!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I think I can come up with a copy of the magazine that chronicled the caravan - maybe that will have some good ideas. I may also have a book that has pictures and detailed text regarding the caravan. There's also a chance I know somebody from Zimbabwe. I'll get to work on this and report back.

Lucius
Lucius,

I am interested in a chronicle of the African trip. I have not seen it, but find the potential very provocative.

Pee Wee
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
What To Eat In Africa??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Giraffe, lion, elephant, warrior, zebra, antelope, snake, warrior, baboon, rhino, hippo, warrior. That's eating!
PeeWee - Some of that was served daily at The Carnivor, in Nairobi, Kenya. A HUGE circular BBQ pit, with the meats on sword skewers. When cooked, the servers would come to your table and offer you slices of whatever meats were on offer. Obviously they only served animals that were abundant. Maybe I should add ~ VERY ABUNDANT!! Quite an experience to be sure. For the record, a fair number of those meats served DID taste like chicken !!

As we say in Texas - Bone Apitite Ya'll.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #104
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
My Memory May Be Failing Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Lucius,

I am interested in a chronicle of the African trip. I have not seen it, but find the potential very provocative.

Pee Wee
I may have spoken too soon. If Pee Wee is not familiar with the magazine I may have dreamed it. I thought it was a National Geographic or maybe LIFE or LOOK.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I have a 1957 issue of National Geographic about the European caravan with Adrean Miller photography. Maybe that's what you were thinking about. It's in the Airstream so I'll have it at the rally. Excellent article and photography.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Catch em, eat em, Ya'll

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
PeeWee - Some of that was served daily at The Carnivor, in Nairobi, Kenya. A HUGE circular BBQ pit, with the meats on sword skewers. When cooked, the servers would come to your table and offer you slices of whatever meats were on offer. Obviously they only served animals that were abundant. Maybe I should add ~ VERY ABUNDANT!! Quite an experience to be sure. For the record, a fair number of those meats served DID taste like chicken !!

As we say in Texas - Bone Apitite Ya'll.
Great tastes!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
We're in

Dan,

We're in. We'll need to go back through the posts to figure out how to register, but there will be two of us. This is a great idea and should be a lot of fun.

By the way, I met you and your son, Drew, briefly during your caravan toward the International. Timing didn't give me a chance to introduce you to Marie that evening, but three days in the Wilds will, I'm sure.

Thanks for thinking this out and making it happen. Although, it doesn't surprise me that someone that will drive around for two hours to find a set of GPS coordinates is a person that can make things happen.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Roy,

Glad to have you and Marie along! I'm confident we will all have a great time!

Sorry I didn't get an assignment out today, I actually had to work at work!

Don't forget, tommorrow is the "official" meeting day 50 years ago in Capetown. PeeWee, be sure to have a toast on me!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Dan

Can you tell me where the nearest campground is?

Thanks!
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
State Parks

I don't know the private campgrounds in that area, although there are quite a few advertised near Chandlersville, OH.

Wolf Run State Park seems nearby. Larry and I have not been there but here is the link:Ohio State Parks - Wolf Run State Park

Larry and have used Salt Fork State Park and Dillon State Park are both beautiful places to stay if you want a little longer drive. Pets are welcome.

Guess some other members in that area may have to jump in here and tell us about some other campgrounds.
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Blue Rock is the nearest State facility. Nice park but nothing fancy. Two camp areas - lower and upper. I'd recommend the upper area - very lightly used - latrines but they were new and very clean 3 years ago. Near the lower camp ground is a "beach" with a shower house. No water or electric at the sites.

Last time there - we had the upper area to ourselves for all but one night.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
electric

If you are taking pets along for the weekend, you probably want to have electricity available, right? I know that Aug. is usually pretty warm and you may want to leave fans running for them.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #113
Alumaholic

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
Wolf Run is probably the next closest and is a very clean, quiet park. Some sites with elec, some without. Clean showerhouses, pit toilets. Nice lake also. We live in Cambridge and prefer Wolf Run to Salt Fork even though S.F. is much larger, closer, and has more amenities. W.R. to us is just quieter and more relaxing. Also better maintained. Dillon is nice but it's been many years since I last camped there so can't really comment much on it.

Enjoy, Brad
campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
For you enjoyment, the following is provided by Pee Wee!

All you rally are expected to abide

WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU

On this tour our little group will be living and traveling together for at least 6 months through Africa, 3 months in the Holy Land and from 4 to 6 months in Europe. It will be an exceedingly interesting journey with great gobs of unusual experiences. But, in the same breath, there will be hardships, none that are insurmountable nor downright dangerous, but some might be on the tiresome side, monotonous in places and with a faint tinge of danger.

Although the responsibility and the dollars and cents of this undertaking is great, the amount of physical energy I am expending and will continue to expend means a great deal more to me. Therefore, you can obviously see that on this tour we must reduce the possibility of personal misunderstandings, bickerings, arguments, dissention, etc., to the very minimum. No person is as important to me as the peace of mind of the entire organization. And, although the Golden Rule is the only rule of the Caravan, to be more specific, we have worked out a "Ten Commandments of the Caravan," which we hope will set forth our desires in a friendly and not autocratic manner.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF THE WALLY BYAM CARAVAN

(1) THOU SHALT LOVE THY FELLOW CARAVANNERS AS THYSELF AND DO ALL IN THY POWER TO AID AND ASSIST THEM.

Since this Caravan is going into a rough country on an adventorous journey, we must all realize that each must rely on his neighbor. We all must be ready, willing and anxious to help each other in every way possible.

(2) THOU SHALT CONDUCT THYSELF FOR THE GOOD OF THE CARAVAN AND NOT FOR THY SELFISH INTEREST.

This is a one for all and all for one Caravan. The whole of the Caravan is more important than anyone individual. If any one Caravanner has special privileges, the same privileges should be available to all.

(3) THOU SHALT ALWAYS CONDUCT THYSELVES AS LADIES AND GENTLMEN FROM A CIVILIZED COUNTRY.

All of us -every individual one of us- must realize that once traveling abroad that we are all Ambassadors of Good Will for America, and must conduct ourselves accordingly.

At times, beligerent loud-mouthed American tourists harmed the reputation of Americans abroad. This must not happen.

(4) THOSE IMBIBING IN INTOXICATING BEVERAGES SHALL CONDUCT THEMSELVES LIKE KENTUCKY GENTLEMEN (AND LADIES)

Much of the territory we will be traveling through will be Mohammedan country where liquor is expressly prohibited by religious mandate. Need more be said.

(5) THOU SHALT NOT CRITICIZE THY HOST COUNTRY NOR ITS CITIZENS.

We must all realize that each of the countries we will be traveling through has its own long history of its culture and customs, and it is not up to us to criticize whether they are better or worse than our own.

(6) THOU SHALT ALWAYS ABIDE BY THE MAJORITY VOTE.

Democracy is a distinguishing factor of America. We realize that the members of the Caravan are all rugged individualists, but where it is necessary for the good of the Caravan individualism must be subordinated to majority rule. If you are so constitued that you cannot abide by the majority vote we would rather that you not join on with us.

(7)THOU SHALT IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES PRESERVE THE UNITY OF THE CARAVAN

As a group of American tourists traveling together we are somebody. We get special attention, special receptions, special entertainment. WE ARE IMPORTANT. As a group we can get more than any of us can get singly, or in smaller groups. When you sign up with this caravan we expect you to become a wholehearted part of it. We do not want any small splinter groups operating as or within the Caravan.

(8) THOU SHALT NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PASS THE WAGON BOSS UNLESS HE SPECIFICALLY GIVES YOU PEMISSION TO DO SO.

The Wagon Boss travels at the head of the Caravan, sets the daily run, picks the daily route, arrives first at the parking site. We have had unpleasant instances in the past when a few Caravanners jumped ahead, met the city officials, gave misleading information to the press, stole the thunder of the Caravan, representing themselves as the Caravan and leaving no reception when the Caravan came in. This is obviously unfair. Thus the Wagon Boss. It is not necessary that you travel the same road as the Caravan or that you travel with the convoy. You can lag behind, set your own schedule or travel on adjacent roads on either side. You just can not be ahead of the Wagon Boss nor arrive in the parking site in any village or city ahead of him.

(9) THOU SHALT NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SPREAD RUMORS BUT RATHER BRING THEM UP AT MEETING WHERE THEY CAN BE PUBLICLY DISCUSSED.

You all know how distorted a message can become when it is passed from ear to ear. Bring it up at Meeting Time so that we can all benefit from it or check its true value.

(10) THOU SHALT REALIZE THAT THE LEADERSHIP OF THE CARAVAN AT ALL TIMES DESERVES THY WHOLEHEARTED CO-OPERATION.

Leading an adventurous group of this kind is a heavy responsibility. The leader must think first, last and always for the good of the Caravan. You must realize that he is devoting his ALL to the happiness and safety of the individuals who comprise it. Sometimes he might have to make quick decisions on his own which he will expect to be complied with until the whole matter can be brought out in meeting time.

You can readily understand that on an operation of this magnitude
that there must be a great deal of advance planning. Without advance planning there could not be a successful tour. A schedule is made up showing when and where the Caravan will be and governmental and tourist officials are so notified. It is thus necessary that we adhere to our schedule. For these reasons changes in the schedule will not ordinarily be subject to vote.

www.campnova.com

Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dan...you beat me to posting this on the Cape to Cairo Rally thread.

Oh well...looks like I will be copy catting from you!

Thanks to Pee Wee for the document.

Steve
Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Glad Pee Wee sent them. Wally is the kind of leader we need today. Hmmmm, I think I could convince him to be the Wagon Boss for the Wilds!

Also I forgot the proper credit "Thanks to Pee Wee and the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn for the document"

www.campnova.com

Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We're coming!

I'm coming from Virginia, My sister will be joining me - she lives in Akron, OH. Please let me know if there will be an extra charge for her car to be at the campground.

We'll both plan on going on the safari and buffet.

Looking forward to meeting you PeeWee! And of course to meeting new and old friends. Loudruff, which Airstream are you bringing, the Argy or the Big'un?

Paula
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm coming from Virginia, My sister will be joining me - she lives in Akron, OH. Please let me know if there will be an extra charge for her car to be at the campground.
We'll both plan on going on the safari and buffet.
Looking forward to meeting you PeeWee! And of course to meeting new and old friends. Loudruff, which Airstream are you bringing, the Argy or the Big'un?
Paula
Dagnabit! We knew that we were a "maybe" with this one, but it has turned in to a "not gonna be able to make it". Sorry we won't get to meet you there Paula and Karen. We committed ourselves to a band boosters pancake breakfast event and can't undo that date. It is a three day commitment and Larry and I set up the whole deal. Hopefully some newbies in the boosters will learn how this time and take it over for the Spring event and we can dismiss ourselves gracefully this year. We are sorry not to get to do this because we have been looking at the Wilds for awhile and hoping to get there. This would have been a fun thing! P.S. We were going to be bringing the Excella (big un)! LOL! Hope you have a great time!
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Two questions: Is the sunset tour sold out (if anyone knows) and is anyone else thinking of going to a campground?

Also, I recently bought several old issues of Art in America from the 60's. In the July-August 1966 issue there is an article entitled "Mobile Architecture". Included are two pictures of Airstreams, one of which is a picture from the caravan. It shows the AS's parked inside a Roman ruin outside Jerash in Jordan.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi Wannaroam,

The Sunset tour is still available. I'll be providing some updates this week, I'm on vacation! yea!

www.campnova.com