Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Hey Dan,

Keep us posted, I think the kids would love this one. Maybe by the time we get to KY you have more info for us all.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
A quick update.....

I'm meeting with The Wilds staff on April 11. I should have a very good feeling about the event after that.

After giving it some thought, unless someone can give me a compelling reason, I'm going to shoot for Sept. 18-20 as the date.

Notification has been made on the Rally Calendar. Although preliminary, please sign up if you are considering attending. This will help me sell it to the staff.

Thanks!

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
This is a great idea. I hope you can pull it off! The September dates look the best for us. Good luck with the plans. Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
This Sounds Like a Great Idea

September would work for us. This sounds very interesting - we'll definitely keep an eye on this tread.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
A Quick Request!

This weekend I'm making the three hour trek down to the rally site to coordinate with their staff.

It would be great if I could go into the room telling them I have a handfull of participants that have expressed interest. In order for me to truthfully do that, I'd like to ask that if you have any interest in this rally, please either PM me, post here, or go to the Rally sign-up post located here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...=2009-9-18&c=1

Doing so in no way commits you to going! It only provides me with a gauge of interest.

Thanks in advance,
DanB

www.campnova.com

Old 04-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
We are in

If this looks like it can be done, we would like to try it. Keep us posted please!
Larry and Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Yesterday, Dawn & I visited The Wilds. I need to save our complete results until we get everything compiled, but in general, everything looks great so far.

The Wilds is truely a unique place. I was warned that it is located 17 miles from anything. Well.... they are not kidding! There is a part time general store a few miles away, but doesn't expect a quick escape to get a burger or fuel. Good news is the roads are very good. Perhaps a little more curves and hills than I would generally expect in Ohio, but certainly nothing to be concerned about. Just take your time.

My first impression of The Wilds is "this place is huge...". The actual area used for the animam mangement is actual small(?) compared to the overall size of the property, but it is still larger than any zoo I've ever been to.

I shouldn't compare it to zoos. That isn't what The Wilds is. You will not find cages here, only fences to seperate species.

Picture one of the opening scenes in Jurassic Park when the doctors look over the and discover the park full of different dinos. The dinos are in herd, in the lakes, and walking around.

This is exactly what the main overlook in The Wilds looks like. The best description given to us by our host is " This landscape is a close to Africa as you will see on this continent."

We have identified two possible rally sites. Both are full grass. The smaller one is actually "overflow parking". It is very stable, drains well, and is obviously very accessable.

The second, and preffered, is across the road from the parking lot. It is more primitive. It is somewhat less developed than a typical open feild in a campground. It is more secluded from the public. A slight grade exists that will dictate parking configurations.

I have one exciting addition to announce, but I will wait till I have more time to fully publish the details. Suffice it to say, this Airstream specific event will be one that all attendees will be excited to hear!

A will release a couple of detail now:

Price is yet to be determined, but expect it to include an open-air sunset safri tour and buffet. This "mandatory" reservation may be our ticket to free overnight parking. Please note that this is preliminary.

No pets are allowed on premises. This is non-negotiable and understood given thier mission. We cannot afford to compromise thier program. I understand that this will be a deal breaker for some. I can only suggest that you may consider camping nearby at a state park.

Happy Easter to all!

www.campnova.com

Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
DanB,

Although I'll be deploying to Guam this summer, if the option is still open next year, count me in. I've still got a lot of work to do on my A/S, but I think that I can project that I'll have a somewhat usable trailer for next year. I love Cedar Point and always willing to go there and the Wilds just sounds awesome. I'll keep an eye on your posts.

I should be coming home next February, which will give me several months of working time on my trailer. While I'm away in Guam, my brother-in-law is going to pick up on my trailer when I'm gone. He's going to assist with re-building the cabinets and such. I just have to get the thing road worthy by July to pull it up to Michigan Flat bedding is still an option, but I don't know if my truck would be able to pull the A/S on the trailer. I guess that I could always rent a truck, though.

Keep up the good ideas. I've also thought about an Alaskan trip. I remember watching my grandfather's old 8mm tapes on his Alaskan road trip, which is what inspired me to try it someday. Of course being in the Navy, I'll have to request about a month of leave, but I think that I could do it. Unless you want to wait about 7 years when I finally am eligible for retirement

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
We're Excited - Keep Us Posted!

This rally really sounds interesting. My wife and I are interested even though it involves a significant drive for us. Please keep us posted.

All you people on the fence... go ahead and sign up - I registered. You won't want to miss this.

Lucius
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
If it is Sept. 18-20 that would be great. Count the children and I in. Is there elec. and a water station. I have been there but never camped. Also if any fisherpersons are attending the Ohio Power area has countless remote fishing holes that hold BIG BIG Bass. Robert
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Any Further Information?

The idea of this rally sounds so cool! Is there any new information? I can't believe this thread is not at the top of the portal listing every day.

Anybody else interested in signing up? This is surely a unique event - I hope DanB can pull it off.

Are generators okay during the day if it turns out to be a little warm? I don't have a generator but this could be the turning point - maybe a dual fuel unit is on the horizon.

Lucius
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Would LOVE to do this!

Dan, we talked briefly about this at the Dogwoods and Bluegrass rally before I left. I'm definitely interested but have to work on rearranging time off. I'll sign up as a maybe pending work arrangements.

I'm curious about generator use too. Guess my dog will have to sit this one out in the kennel.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
Alumaholic

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
All,

Hi ,I'm usually a lurker but had a suggestion if your dates are not nailed down yet. (Or if anyone is interested or will be in the area then)

I'm a member of the Freeland Valley Antique Power Club (of Chandlersville/ Freeland/ Cumberland, OH). We have our annual show the last full weekend of July (24,25,&26th this year).Our show grounds is only about 5 minutes from The Wilds on State Route 146. We have HOMEMADE ICE CREAM (made by John Deere Engines). We show tractors & farm equipment, antique hit & miss engines, HOMEMADE ICE CREAM, model engines, large and small gas engines (largest is a 110 horsepower Bessemer natural gas compressor engine weighing around 26,000lbs, which is a permanent exhibit on our grounds), HOMEMADE ICE CREAM, Also, displays of miscellanous antiques and other interesting items, Door prizes, Wrench toss (men's),Skillet toss (women's), Kids pedal tractor pull, and other games. Live country music on Fri/ Sat nites., HOMEMADE ICE CREAM, Sunday morning church service, and a Flea market. Food service is available. The show has a nice variety and theres usually something to pique most peoples interest. Admission is $3 (I believe) and the show can be seen in a couple hours or enjoyed all day. We are a very informal, "down home" group and enjoy visitors from all over, and get many compliments on our show and hospitality. And lest I forget, we have HOMEMADE ICE CREAM!

I'm not trying to compete but just noticed this thread and it's in our "neighborhood" so I thought I'd mention it. I live in Cambridge and am about 20 Minutes from Salt Fork State Park (nice, been camping there since I was a kid/Park opened) Also,you may want to see www.visitguernseycounty.com (Cambridge area) and www.visitzanesville.com (Zanesville/Muskingum county area) for other tourist info for the area.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'm stillworking on locking us in. A draft handout was available at the rally, butt a little has changed. It does not look good that we will be able to do any kind of caravan directly on the "tour" road. Seems the animals are loose to the road and it could be difficult to get a rhino horn out of a bambi.....

I don't see a problem with generators, provided they are used within reason. I'm really considering "hiring" a boondocking expert to help out those that don't do this usually.

I'll have more news in the next couple of days, but I don't expect major changes. (I hope!)

www.campnova.com