Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Mike as a supplement to your post I'm trying to get a better handle on the food situation for the organized other half:

1. Friday evening - Dan do we need to bring anything to add to the meal. Wife is thinking about some munchies - cheese/crackers sort of thing... she also asked about hot dogs and buns...?

2. We are bringing roast wildebeest rump for the potluck (it tastes a lot like ham) and cookies

3. We will have two Coleman lanterns and a small folding table with us.

4. Who all is bringing firewood - I'll bring what I have in the back yard for the fire pit but you can burn a lot of wood in two evenings. I'm presuming the Wilds won't mind us collecting what's on the ground in the woods nearby...?

Looking forward to this also.....

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Sorry folks,about the parking passes and stuff. After reviewing it, thier really isn't anything that I haven't already provided. The passes can be given out on site. The rules are as stated previously. The map is OK, but basic. I'm sure most everyone can do better, but I will see if I can post it.

Mike, you are definitlely registered.

- Friday night, I will have a grill going with Hot dogs & beans. The idea is just for something quick to eat if you want when you pull in. Please feel free to add to the "public menu". I like the idea of being able to much all night long!

I'll bring the dogs, buns, & condiments. If someone else wants to provide the beans, that would be great.

2. Wildebeast is good this time of year....

3. A few old picnic tables are on site. I'll probably be gathering these together for a group setting near the fire ring. Regarding fire rings: several are on site.

4. Collecting firewood on site is not a problem. Obviously, if you have a good saw, bring it. Again, I'm not familure with laws regarding firewood transportation. But, yes, I suspect we could go through a bunch. Bear in mind that this campsite has not been used for a while, so fallen wood SHOULD be plentiful.

BRING BUG SPRAY

I did get an update on our service project. Possible work involves the dismantling of 12 old outdoor classroom benches. This could end up being firewood!

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Map to The Wilds

Here is the camping permit I will be distributing when you show up.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE STAYING IN WHAT IS LABELED "SCOUT CAMP"

Also note that I have been warned not to believe the directions given by GPS. Evidently thats a problem.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf map.pdf (220.1 KB, 52 views)

www.campnova.com

Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Friday Evening

Dan,

I'll set us up with a dutch oven full of baked beans.

Roy
Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Just to be safe I'm repeating some important info in case anyone missed it.........

..............Here is a map directly to our campsite:

Airstreams in the Wilds - Google Maps

I'm going to try to descibe as best as I can. This area is a old unused scout camp. It was last used several years ago. There are NO facilities. If you happen to get cell phone coverage, you are lucky.

We will have a clean, just delivered porta john on site. I will have a limited amount of drinking water.

Fire rings are available. Please bring or purchase wood as allowed by law.

The road directly off of the main road is gravel. A red barn and white farmhouse sit on the corner to turn at. Travel up the road about three minutes. The road is actually in good shape.

You will need to make a sharp left turn into the gated campground. It is about a 120 degree turn, but you should have plenty of room.

Travel thru the first grass camping area. The gravel road continues up to our upper campground. This road is more tight with some low small branches. I'll do my best to clear them prior to arrival time. A tight right hand turn on a grade exists, but I'm fairly confident everyone should make it without problem. Turnaround space at the top is available.

The campsite itself is shaded with trees in various weird places! Please remember this isn't an RV park! Spaces are not marked, so please feel free to pick an appropriate spot. Please arrive with all tanks full or empty.

Although this isn't a campground that overlooks the great vista of the Wilds, I think we will be happy.

Here is our schedule:

I'm going to try to travel down Thursday late. Drew (my son) has a football game, so I may make a late night game, out of it and drive down to the general area and sleep at a rest area.

I've scheduled for the gate to be open at 9am on Friday. If absolutely neccesary, I can have it open Thursday.

Friday night, I'm thinking of having something ready to eat as people arrive. Probably a beans and weenies type thing. This will probably be a great time for Pee Wee to share stories also. If everyone could PM thier idea of arrival time, I could keep track a little.

Saturday will begin with the Service Project at 9am for those who signed up. The first tour bus at the Wilds starts at 10am for those electing to do a day tour.

Our potluck will be a lunch at about 1pm. We are hoping to have a special program at 2:30 ish. This will be informal, but enjoyable.

We need to be at the visitors center at 4pm for the Sunset Safari. We will probably carpool over at 3:45.

The Safari is quite long, with special stops. I'm told their is nothing like petting a rhino......

Buffet dinner is at 7:30. Fresh food and two meats. This will be overlooking the plains.

I've told them that we will probably be gone by about 2 on Sunday. This is just a guess. If anyone chooses totake the tours on Sunday, you probably want to hook up an take your trailer over to the visitors center.

If anyone wants to stay later, let me know and I'm up for adjustment!

And the Safari is sold out.

For any wishing to sign up still, please contact me. We definetly can get you in.

And finally, if anyone isn't coming due to not having a trailer, the Wilds opened up a new area called Nomad ridge. Pricey, but dang it nice....

The Wilds | Visit Us | Nomad Ridge

Also note that hotels are available 25 minutes away.

www.campnova.com

Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
4. Collecting firewood on site is not a problem. Obviously, if you have a good saw, bring it. Again, I'm not familure with laws regarding firewood transportation.
A note here since I have to abide by firewood laws since I heat my home with wood and because Ashland County (where I live) was just added to the firewood quarantine:

Muskingum County and it's neighboring counties are NON-quarantined counties so those wanting to bring firewood need to be from a NON-quarantined county of Ohio. An additional note for our out of state attendees: it is illegal to transport hardwood firewood across the state border into Ohio. Either of the above (if you are caught) is worth $4000 to the state of Ohio. So, if you're local to the Wilds and non-quarantined then please bring wood. Otherwise, we're stuck with gathering what we can on-site.

-Jason
Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #203
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I believe there are several moratoriums on moving firewood in Ohio. I would like to offer to bring my fire dancer along if someone can spare the propane. It worked great while boondocking at the Cape to Cairo Rally.

Steve

Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I loves me a natyural fyr, but dat looks darn purty

I'll donate some propane to the cause. I just filled both tanks on the AS so I should have plenty to carry me through furnace usage in Oct. camping and into storage over the winter. But, I'd still like the fire dancer to be a backup plan only if we can't scrounge enough wood for a real one.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fyr Dancer

I have two spare small tanks, I'll bring them.

Let there be fire, even if it's propane.

Paula
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #206
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hank Hill - Propane and Propane Accessories

Hank Hill recommends using propane. It burns relatively clean and does not pose as much threat to burning down The Wilds since it does not create floating embers. In addition, you don't have to keep changing your chair position to avoid the smoke and your clothes and trailer don't smell like smoke.

I have a Yukon Legend propane campfire and Sugarfoot has a Volcano. Combine that with the unit Soldiermedic is bringing and maybe we sould have a propane campfire showdown!
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Heading out tomorrow.... Hooray! See you all soon.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Safe travels

Safe travels to all of you! We are very sorry not to be able to make this journey into the Wilds with all of you. We will be waiting to hear about the adventure.
Larry and Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I'll be bringing a small starter supply of very dry processed lumber and a saw in case we decide to have a traditional fire while boondocking.....

Just pulled to old boy into the development - the first time he's been here in two years. A little problem adjusting the new brakes - they are touchy - other than that he pulled like a dream....
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #210
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Too bad we are without power. I was tempted to bring my leak testing equipment.