Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was at Naval OCS in Neuport, RI the summer of '66 and was the shore patrol officer there for the fall of '68 for a few months. We lived in nearby Tiverton, RI and lots of lobster was the norm at $1.00 a pound. The smallest one that could be sold was 1.25 pounds, so $5 and a six pack made a great meal for the wife and I!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #102
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Smile

So all kidding aside (I myself included the Duluth Trading cartoon as a pretty good replica of me...) I imagine the thing about nudists is literally comfort in one's own skin. I get "sophomoric" at the thought because frankly, I don't have that level of comfort and if I'm being really honest, I'm envious of those who can live their life without worrying about what commercial advertisers say is an acceptable body. Maybe 0.000000001% of people look like Tom Brady or Halle Berry - why should 99.99999999% of the population be ashamed of that?

I dunno - just thinking out loud.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
"If you remember the 60's you weren't there"

Robin Williams
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #104
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Late 60's & early 70's Onward thru the FOG. Wild Mountain Grape wine & no name cigarettes that were twisted on both ends.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Weird Fixation

Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
The rally is on with a date of May 16-18, 2014 at the Suwannee Valley Resort in White Springs, FL.
I have sent PM's to some of the early posters that I thought, from reading their post, might be interested. If you got a PM and are offended, please accept my most humble and public apology.
For those who wish to attend, we are going to have a great time. I recognize that there are many who will not want to attend, for a whole lot of reasons, for you folks all I ask is that you leave us in peace as we will you.
For those who may wish to attend but are reluctant due to physical or moral reasons, feel free to PM me as a public forum is no place to discuss things of a deep personal nature.
Let me assure you however that the vision of Barbie and Ken is a myth. 99.9% of all attendees are just common folks with just common bodies. We have those who are handicapped, wheelchair bound, scarred and amputated. The overriding issue is what is inside a person; their character, not the temporary body that they have been assigned.
For those with a morality question, we have a broad spectrum of religions, from atheist to orthodox in our ranks. I will be happy to put you in touch with pastors and Biblical scholars that can help putting your mind at ease.
Go to the AANR website AANR | Nudist | American Association for Nude Recreation for more information and better explanations than I could ever provide.
If you think that a Naturist gathering is about sex, let me tell you right up front that nothing could be further from the truth. Overt sexual activity will get a person tossed from a naturist gathering without any warnings or second chances. It is just not tolerated.
We are about having fun, sharing good times and making happy memories. Join us if you wish, we are going to have a great time.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I guess I don't look as good as I like to think I did decades ago, but I've learned to not care. What is really important is whether I'm healthy and that is what I am concerned with. I'm not as healthy as I once was, but work hard to keep healthier than I should be in my 70's. That's the real challenge. When I was porking up—easy to do with a wife who is a gourmet cook and because there's a tendency to eat as much as I always have though my metabolism has slowed, I decided to lose weight and have lost 40+ lbs. in a couple of years. But that was done not to look good (my wife thinks I do no matter what, but it glad that I lose the weight because it is better for me), but to feel good. How I look matters, of course, I'd be less than honest if I said otherwise, but being as healthy as you can be also results in looking better.

As we age together, we still think the other one looks great. No women, young or old, is as beautiful as my wife, even after almost 28 years together.

If a naked rally was nearby, we might attend, but it is no big deal. I can always go to the hot springs if I want to be naked outside. But thanks, Snedwid, for the information and a good explanation how it works. Making fun of nudists is often a reflection of never having done it or a nervousness about how you look naked. It is ok with me to make fun of it (or anything else), but skeptics who try it usually find it is not a big deal.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have never been exposed to it, but my concerns are things like arousal and the embarrassment associated with- and lust and coveting- or being turned off or digusted by people that should have kept their clothes on- I don't think it would work for me-
I'd rather keep my clothes on.
Shucks- I'm the guy that goes in the pool or hot tub with a t-shirt on because I am self conscious and fair complected- I don't want a sunburn-
Don't look, Ethel!
It was too late! She'd done got a free shot!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Count me out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
But what would Wally think? All dressed up his beret and jacket.
...but you might have to count Wally in!

"Accounts vary as to exactly who or what Wally Byam was. To some he was the patron saint of trailer travel, free enterprise, invention and salesmanship. To others he was a foul-mouthed nudist with a predilection for female members of the club." Wall Street Journal 9/85

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #110
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Everyone looks—curiosity makes you do so. Does anyone care? Most don't and the others are people you don't want to know. I don't think I'd want Wally around though. When nudity is the norm, no one gets aroused. It is semi-revealing clothing that causes arousal as your imagination runs wild.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Thats what you think Gene.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I still think it would take some time to become accustomed to it before arousal would stop. Seems like that thing has a mind of its own...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
To m.hony
"...my concerns are things like arousal and the embarrassment associated with- and lust and coveting..."
A very common concern among non-naturist. As a lifelong naturist, I have never seen this problem occur. Being naked and being sexy are in fact polar opposites. If this were not true, Victoria's Secret and Fredrick's of Hollywood would be out of business. The fashion industry spends millions annually; not to design clothing that is warm and functional, but rather, to make us look good to the opposite sex. If this were not true, a person's wardrobe would consist of a snowmobile suit for winter, and gardening overalls for summer, with a poncho thrown in for rainy weather.
One might also think about an old fashioned Burlesque Show. It wasn't about the nakedness. It was about the elaborate costume, that came off little by little, and ending with a small strip of cloth and a couple of pasties. As the strip tease progressed the crowd was on the edge of their seats and hollering, "take it off". Contrast this with the supposition that the artist comes out on the stage, stark naked and dances around. The audience will slowly go to sleep. After all, once ya seen it, ya seen it--- crickets.
However, having read the forgoing, should one still harbor the fear that he was going to embarrass himself, I would say that at the pre-onset of such a state, just go sit down with a towel over your lap. The moment will pass. Guaranteed. The bottom line, you'll never know until...
To InideOut,
"Accounts vary as to exactly who or what Wally Byam was..."
Sorry to say, but I cannot shed light here. Personally, I try to live my life in a non-judgmental way, trying to never criticize or condemn others, especially the deceased who are unable to defend themselves. An exception to this would be those who practice force or fraud, making victims of the less fortunate and helpless. For them, I hold nothing but contempt.
On the grammar school playground, we learn to belittle and tease. We annoy those who are different. We poke fun at them and make snide remarks. This of course brings the squeals and delight of our peers. This makes us feel better about ourselves. Today its called bullying. Most of us outgrow this behavior, and enter adulthood as caring grownups. Some of us don't. Those at the Wall Street Journal, to whom that quote is attributed, did not.
Why is it that some of us must constantly criticize those who are different? What is it in that small slice of humans that compels them to mockingly degrade those who are different? I wish I knew the answer to that. I wish I knew what it would take to get the entire human race to live in peace with each other. Accepting, if not celebrating those things which make us different in the weave of human nature. As the old song says, "I'd like to teach the world to sing..." Ya, and if I could, I'd buy everyone a Coca Cola, and drink a toast to live and let live.
The bottom line; I think your concern meshes with mine, and we both join many others in expressing our gratitude to Wally for passing on the legacy of his wonderful Airstreams.
To Gene, I think we are in agreement on most things.
To Melody Ranch, "Thats what you think Gene."
Could you expand your thoughts a little, I'd love to discuss this with you, but with all due respect, I really don't understand your position.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Since Christmas season has just passed, I would like everyone to think about the song"Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer".

"... they laughed and called him names, they never let poor Rudolph, play in any Reindeer games"

"then one foggy Christmas night, Santa came to say, "Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight"

"..then all the Reindeer loved him, and they shouted out with glee 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, you'll go down in history"

A classic story of bullying and intolerance, but made "right" by the Santa saying it was OK to have a red nose, and be different, and in fact valuable.

I think too many of us have been in Rudolph's situation some time in their life, maybe even when they were naked.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
To In(s)ideOut <SNIP> Sorry to say, but I cannot shed light here. Personally, I try to live my life in a non-judgmental way, trying to never criticize or condemn others, especially the deceased who are unable to defend themselves.
I was not siding with the WSJ, judging or condemning anybody's lifestyle choices, only shedding some light to Wally's nudist leanings in reference to an earlier post suggesting his stuffiness in a "beret and jacket". I was suggesting that he would approve.

There are many other references to his penchant to hang loose at nudist camps, unfortunately most are these swept under the rug by "the keepers" of Wally/WBCCI-history.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #116

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
I wish I knew what it would take to get the entire human race to live in peace with each other. Accepting, if not celebrating those things which make us different in the weave of human nature. As the old song says, "I'd like to teach the world to sing..." Ya, and if I could, I'd buy everyone a Coca Cola, and drink a toast to live and let live.

I'm with you on that one! We optimists have to stick together Wally thought the thing that would make us all more accepting was getting out there and meeting people who weren't like us, so we could discover that they really ARE like us, and aren't so different after all. World peace, distributed by Airstream.

Seems like all the more reason to have a nudist rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I find the popularity of this posting incredibly interesting from amen anthropological perspective of course.
Air streamers seem to favor the naturalists bent on life I'm thinking...
Very intriguing
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
They can all live like they want to live- I just think it isn't for me-
As for nakedness not being associated with sexual arousal- whatever- I disagree, homeboy! I disagree! Nakedness is plenty stimulating to me personally- I like my women like chicken- two breasts, two thighs, and two legs- but- whatever- I can't even believe I'm even having this discussion...
Y'all do what you want- hang out around the campfire nekkid as a jay bird- count me out...it just isn't for me. The one picture someone posted of a couple posing nude in their Zip-Dee chairs outside their trailer was amusing, just not for me-
Canopenerians- keep yer clothes on!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess our Airstreams are nekkid- They ain't got no paint on! Nekkid is beautiful!
I wish a DeLorean could tow an Airstream!
I think pregnant women are beautiful- that looks natural and very attractive to me- I guess it is supposed to- to keep the human race going and all-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #120

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm keeping my clothes on at the rallys, but we have a few nude beaches around here, and I've always wondered if I'd have the guts to try it...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote