Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Red face Airstream - Dutch Oven Rally

I'm putting together an Airstream/Dutch Oven Rally for October 2nd and 3rd, 2009 at Ripplin' Water Campground in Sevierville, TN. There are 5 spots reserved on the river, with more available if needed. Haven't set any schedules up for pot luck, etc., but will provide more information as we receive feedback. This will be a good opportunity for a nice Fall get together to share Dutch Oven recipes and tips. I have reserved my spot at the campground already (site 4); sites 5 through 8 are the others that are currently reserved for this Rally. Call the campground directly to make your reservation. For information on the campground, go to Ripplin' Waters Campground & Cabin Rentals, Sevierville, Tennessee. Their phone number (for reservations) is 865-453-4169 or 1-888-747-7546.
Meet and Greet and "cocktail hour" Friday night at 7.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
dutch oven rally

We will check the work calendar for these dates and reserve our spot first of next week if all is clear. It all sounds good! Have only cooked in the "dutch" once, so we are hoping to learn alot that weekend. Nothing is more beautiful than the "Smokies" in October!!! Looking forward to the rally.
Greg and LuAnn
gregth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Wish we were closer...here's our enchilada dutch over dinner last weekend, up in Calif's Sierra Nevada Mts...couldn't have been easier...

We pre-cooked at home some chicken breast meat, shredded with chopped onions and taco seasoning...and some ground beef the same way - put into plastic bags in the refrigerator...

Wraped some of the above filling in corn tortillas with shredded cheese, and made two layers - 10 enchilada's each layer -

Poured enchilada sauce over each tortilla layer, added more cheese on top and cooked in the Dutch Over for about 30 mins...YUMMY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1734 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	219
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	84041  
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Thanks for the response. I'm not a expert Dutch Oven cook by I can eat what I cook. So that can't be to bad. The enchilada's look great. I'll have to try this recipe soon.

If you are coming to the rally let me know what you are cooking so we don't cook the same thing. There is a Kroger store close by so can get the ingredients for you dish.

Sounds like we will have a good time.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Wish we could join in, but we already have a trip being planned for Sept.

We just recently got introduced to dutch ovens - but for bread making.

A friend shared this video with me and then sent me a couple of recipes.

No-Knead Bread - Video Library - The New York Times

Seems that baking bread in a DO has been a bit of a fad since a profesiional baker in NYC came up with this technique a few years ago.

Well, we tried it, and it produces the best bread I have ever eaten - bar none! Great crust and chewy inside! Makes wonderful toast too!

Matter of fact I am just havng some with my breafast with home made marmalade!

Cheers ......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hey - this looks fun! Would you like a rally ad for this event? I would be happy to make you one and it would display on the left side of the portal page (it's free).

My first Dutch oven experience years ago ended with a fire extinguisher - who new that that cherry pie filling was combustible??

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We will be camping at the beach that weekend but its almost worth changing our plans to get some of your cobbler! Have a great time and we will see you later in the month at Falluliminum. Dannie
Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Sorry about the cherry pie. My first experience was cooking 2 garnish hens. After about 4 hours we took it to the house and cooked it in the oven. Since then I have only messed up one dish. Pineapple upside down cake. I put to much liquid in the cake mix. After an hour all I had was a little thicker cake mix. I dumped that one in the trash can. Now I do a lot better.

I'm not real good with a computer and I have a hard time getting around on this forum. How do I get people to sign the list on the bottom of the calender? I would like to know who is coming and what they would like to cook. Also everyone can see who is coming and what they are cooking. If I knew how to send you a picture of one of our meals in a Dutch Oven I would like for you to make a rally ad. I'll check my photos and see if I can find a picture.

Thanks Janet

Jim
Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Opps
How do I get a photo of our Air Stream under my name?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Hi Danalee,

Sorry you can't make the rally. I'll look you up at the Falluliminum.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Opps
How do I get a photo of our Air Stream under my name?

Thanks

Jim,

We won't be able to make this one.

To add a photo click on the User CP button located on the blue bar (upper left corner of your screen). Click on the edit Avatar on the left side of the screen. There are several standard Avatars, or you can upload a picture of your MoHo if you have one.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Cooking in dutch ovens is the best! I own three, with all sorts of recipes. Will have to see if I can work the trip though, already was out two weeks in the Airstream on the Florida coast.
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
More of an expert than he admits . . .

Quote:
. . . I'm not a expert Dutch Oven cook by I can eat what I cook. So that can't be to bad. . .

Name:	FIMG_3013.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	84167
Don't let him fool you! His expertise is more than he give's himself credit for. That's Jim making a killer Dutch Oven breakfast. I was fortunate to camp next to Jim at this year's Springstream and he taught me a thing or two about DO cooking.

Man, I wish I could go to this rally. I've got an unyielding schedule that weekend. I see he has put the rally on the calendar here at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-53954.html. Y'all go sign up.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Attachment 84167
Don't let him fool you! His expertise is more than he give's himself credit for. That's Jim making a killer Dutch Oven breakfast. I was fortunate to camp next to Jim at this year's Springstream and he taught me a thing or two about DO cooking.

Man, I wish I could go to this rally. I've got an unyielding schedule that weekend. I see he has put the rally on the calendar here at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-53954.html. Y'all go sign up.

Am I mistaken Sugerfoot, or was it you with the LPG burner dutch oven rig at the Saturday morning pot luck breakfast? I seem to recall some mighty fine eats coming out of that lovely hunk of cast iron.

Sally and I were on Jim's street side at Springstream. His DO work was pretty good, but his homemade vino was primo.

We'll miss you guys at Falluminum.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
How do I get people to sign the list on the bottom of the calender? I would like to know who is coming and what they would like to cook. Also everyone can see who is coming and what they are cooking. If I knew how to send you a picture of one of our meals in a Dutch Oven I would like for you to make a rally ad. I'll check my photos and see if I can find a picture.

Thanks Janet

Jim
Jim - I made an ad for you and you should see it on the left side of the portal page. If you find an image you like - I can change the graphic for you.

To load an image into a post:

• Click reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
  • Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1600 x 1600 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 3 Meg. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

This was a pic from south africa a few years ago - different continent - same idea. This pot had a layered potato and meat thing in it that was fab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dutchoven 1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	84234  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
umm ummm...
smells like fun
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
The picture look great Janet. I copied your list on how to load pics on a thread. I'll give it a try later.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hey Jim- Great to see someone else doing a Dutch Oven Rally. I hosted one two years ago and we actually held a cook-off. There were three catagories; Starter or soup, entree and dessert. We had 23 entries and it was very difficult to pick winners. I will be bringing the rally back next year for Columbus Day weekend with more folks wanting to join in on the fun. At least 50% of the folks had never cooked in a Dutch Oven before and had a blast.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Am I mistaken Sugerfoot, or was it you with the LPG burner dutch oven rig at the Saturday morning pot luck breakfast? I seem to recall some mighty fine eats coming out of that lovely hunk of cast iron.

Sally and I were on Jim's street side at Springstream. His DO work was pretty good, but his homemade vino was primo.

We'll miss you guys at Falluminum.

Kevin
Thanks! Yes Kevin, that was me and my Volcano stove. I was using the propane burner for breakfast, but switched back to charcoal for the DO pot luck dish. Jim thought I was "cheating" with propane. I had to prove to him that I could DO cook the "real" way!

We'll miss you at the Falluminum too.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
I first learned how to cook using dutch ovens while in the Boy Scouts. It's the only way my father would cook while camping out. Dutch ovens were a very important tool for the colonialists, pioneers and cowboys, just as important as their rifles. It is intersting to note that of all that pioneers threw off their wagons to lighten the load, they never got rid of their iron.

Tags
rally, sevierville tn