Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
What a perfect job for you! I bet their sales double. Have fun and we will see you in Jan.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
What a beautiful day today. Here is a site if you want to know how to get you dutch Ovens back to bare metal. This is not my idea just one I found on the Forum. Try it if you want or throw it away.
Rust Removal using Electrolysis

Also I start work at the Lodge Outlet store on Monday. This should be fun. I get to talk to a lot of Dutch Oven cooks and learn a little more about all of the Dutch Ovens that Lodge make. come down and visit with me.

The next big rally will be the Can Opener in January in Florida. Need details give me a shout.
Good for you, James! I am envious, although would probably find working at a Lodge store very dangerous in terms of being tempted to add and add to my already VERY large collection of cast iron.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Cleaning Rusty & Old Cast Irons

Quote:
What a beautiful day today. Here is a site if you want to know how to get you dutch Ovens back to bare metal. This is not my idea just one I found on the Forum. Try it if you want or throw it away.
Rust Removal using Electrolysis
Also I start work at the Lodge Outlet store on Monday. This should be fun. I get to talk to a lot of Dutch Oven cooks and learn a little more about all of the Dutch Ovens that Lodge make. come down and visit with me.
The next big rally will be the Can Opener in January in Florida. Need details give me a shout.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
Jim
I have a much better way and a whole lot less dangerous because you dont have to deal with electricity, unless you have a problem using a drill.
This is what my father did and he was a welder who knows metal as a welder and has fixed just about every kind of metal known.
I have also used this method over the years and it works very well.
This is best done on a hot sunny day.
All it takes is;
electric drill,
round wire brush disk wheel that fits the drill with a long shank,
small hand wire brush.
Dishsoap
SOS Pads

Use the drill wire brush and clean the pan inside, try to follow groves.
Wash with non abrasive brush/pad & dishsoap-
NOTE ((Do not use SOS pads yet, they leave soap in the metal groves and hides the rust.))
dry completely let set in direct sun for 1 hour to dry groves. (Pans do have groves)
Use a magafying glass and check for any rust residual
If any rust residual is found use hand wire brush to get those small spots.
Wash & Dry again
Once Dry- If no rust is found, look for any cracks in the metal, if there is any I trash them at this point.
Now wash throughly with the SOS and then 2 times with dishsoap.
Dry & sun dry.
Once you have completed the inside then if you wish you can clean the outside this way as well, but,, I would strongly suggest that you not with the exception of SOS, because as you fire the pan it will generally get rid of the rust.
Place pan on a direct flame and season as recomended by Lodge. Seasoning process must be at least 3 times in a row to build up.

NOTE: you must complete the wire brush cleaning and get the first oil seasoning done to prevent rusting again.
NOTE: If any cracks are found in the metal it is better and less costly to discard and replace. Welding the crack changes the metal and the heat temperment, it can be done but the results are usually less than favorable. Like I said my father was a welder for 50 years and had everyone consult him on metal repairs because of his knowledge of being able to repair metal beyond and better than most and even he found that repairing moms pans was alot easier to sneak out and get new ones.
NOTE: if 3 seasonings do not do the trick do it again until desired results are obtained.

Sarge
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
DutchStream 2010

Quote:
Sarge hope to see you at the next "Dutchstream".If you get over this way give us a call and we can meet up with you.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
Already on the Calender, I also plan on practicing on my bean caserol to cook then as well.

Sarge
Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Hello,

The Corn bread festivel is coming up April 24 & 25, 2010. Anyone want to get togther at a campground close by and do some cooking ? I think Johnny Nix will be there doing a demo. . Let me know. I think Lemontree lives close to South Pittsburgh. Lodge has their factory there and you can get a tour of it. Also they have a factory store right there.

I'm putting a new furnace in my moho. The front one had some issues so I had to retire it. Anyone need parts for a Duo-Therm furnace 90125? All but the heat exchange. That is cracked beyond repair.

See you all at Springstream rally April 8 -10, 2010.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
dutchstream : dutchstream

Check out this site and let me know how you like it.

I think this is what I have been looking for.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Don't forget to check out our new site at dutchstream : dutchstream
This is a yahoo group site so you will have to join yahoo. It is FREE

Here are some rallies that are coming up

Springstream 2010 at Hiawassee, Georgia, In April
Dutch Oven cooking at Lodge in Sevierville, Tn in April
Corn Bread Festival, South Pittsburg, TN in April

Hope to see you at one or all of these.

Jim & Regina
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
If anyone is interested in going to the Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, TN. Let me know. I'll be camping at Hales Bar Marina and Resort on Nickajack Lake, Tennessee 423-942-9000 call and reserve a site soon. They said that a lot of people are calling already. My reservations are for April 23 - 26, 2010. For more details go to my yahoo site at dutchstream : dutchstream
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
If anyone is interested in going to the Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg,
TN. Let me know. I'll be camping at Hales Bar Marina and Resort on Nickajack Lake, Tennessee 423-942-9000
Call and reserve a site soon. They said that a lot of people are calling
already. My reservations are for April 23 - 26, 2010. [Festival days are April
24 -25, 2010. Campgrounds are 18 miles from festival. And on Lake Nickajack.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Don't forget to start making plans for our

"DUTCHSTREAM 2010 RALLY"
September 30 - October 3, 2010
Ripplin' Waters Campground & Cabin Rentals, Sevierville, Tennessee or call 1-888-747-7546

Keep an eye on this site or on mine dutchstream : dutchstream
Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Let me tell you about the American Chuckwagon Association. They had a cook off in Pigeon Forge this week end. It was really a treat to watch them cooking over an open fire with their Dutch Ovens and other cast iron stuff. I made friends with Richard Holmes who was doing some of the cooking. They are going to be at Del Rio, TN April 1-4, 2010 [for 4 days]. I thought some or all of you might want to come out and camp with us for that event. I think you would really enjoy watching them. They had real chuckwagon and all the authentic garb on. I am going to check the availability for that week end. I'll post more here on the availability when I find out.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
OK I just found out they do not have a campground. Admission is $25.00 a day or $90.00 for 4 days. We might go for one day but not sure. You can look at their site on http://www.frenchbroadriver.com/feedbackthanks.com
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I have started a new web site. Please take some time a visit it. I have posted photos of our rally last year, the Chuckwagon cook off in Pigeon Forge and the DOG we attended at Panther Creek last week end.
Dutchstream - Home

I think this will be the last of my exploring around for a site for "Dutchstream". This web looks promising. Check it our and get acquainted with it. I'll be using this site for my Dutchstream rallies. I'll also use the Air Stream forum to list stuff.

I'm pretty exited about this site.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Just a quick note to let you know we went to the Dogwood & Bluegrass Rally this past weekend, and I adamantly promoted your Dutchstream Rally while there. I also gave an impromptu demo. hope that helps encourage more people to attend.

Regards, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, sevierville tn