Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Boulder , CO
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshuaTonbo
Airstream Art Ralley...

Hey Airstream Forumers...
The SiO2 Mobile Gallery is about to hit the road. We have gotten a lot of good advise here on the forums and now that we are almost finished, I wanted to invite you all to come and see what we have done

Here is a preview:

Come see the rest in person!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
glasstream

Hey guy's,
Thanks for all the project photos. Great idea. Good luck and be safe on the road,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
very cool. Excellent! I haven't had time to get up to Boulder to see youse guys--sorry. But I'll see you at an exhibition.

I got sidetracked by starting the simple project of putting a new bed in the Sovereign, which morphed into a new water system, new converter and arrangement of electrical, removal of carpets, fixing the fridge, cleaning the sticky off the walls, changing out vents... don't even think about polishing!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Joshua,

Looks like alot of work! (but worth the effort)

It's looking great.

Looking at the pictures you posted it looks like you stripped the vinyl of the interior walls?

What product did you use for that nasty task?

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Boulder , CO
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshuaTonbo
stipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
Joshua,

Looks like alot of work! (but worth the effort)

It's looking great.

Looking at the pictures you posted it looks like you stripped the vinyl of the interior walls?

What product did you use for that nasty task?

-T
Nasty chemical is right on...methyl chlorode...CH3Cl

First we stripped the vinyl with aircraft stripper. It worked very well, but left an epoxy residue behind. To get that off I use Jasco paint and epoxy remover, agressive synthetice steal wool (3M). After scrubing the epoxt off I rinsed it with cold water and them sprayed it with mineral spirits and wiped it clean.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Missoula , Montana
Howdy,

I work for Airstream. As many of you may or may not know, a vintage 63' Bambi is about to be installed in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. This is a big development for Airstream, Inc. and a testament to the timeless, art-world-worthy silver-streamlined designs people have cherished all these years.

It would be great to flood the opening at MoMA with Airstreamers. People who own and love Airstreams are the reason why the Airstream legacy has carried on so long. It would be great to have your support during this very important and interesting chapter in our company's life.

Let me know what you think! I think it would be really fun to get a bunch of people together for this. I'd love to get some feeback.

Thanks!
MontanaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Montana Guy,,, welcome to the Forum,,, thrilled to see another Airstream afficionado,,, although i love the idea of a great turnout in New York,, i can only support it with well wishes,, sorry,, New York is a bit far from Hamilton,, Montana,,, glad to see you join this wonderful group,, happy trails and keep up the good work,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I'll be in NYC this June....I'll definitely support the cause and get some pics to share! (in the Airstream sightings thread of course!)

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
congrat's - really nice work (airstream and artwork) - what a great project.
t.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
You can paint the vinyl

T-man: depending on what you want to do, you don't have to strip the vinyl. I faux-painted mine. I'm gonna be an evangelist for not having to put up with the boring vinyl.
Surface preparation is perhaps as time consuming as stripping, but not as nasty. I used Sherwin-williams Bonding primer. I even painted the formica on the front of the fridge and sticks beautifully. Here are some pictures Zep snapped at the recent 4CU rally in Az. I'll put more up when the gallery gets up and running again.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Susan,

Airylle looks great! I love the cabinet work with the colors you chose. The front bed came out great as well. Have a big 'ol time in that beastie!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Susan,, wow,, finally get to see your trailer,,, love the copper,,, glad you can paint over the vinyl,,, i have a white floral thing going on in the Safari,,, great idea for the fridge,, thought about copper sheeting,, this sounds better,,, great job,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
dieterdog and Lew: Thanks for the compliments.
I really would like to prevent people from thinking they have to strip off the vinyl to get a more contemporary or even just different look. The Sherwin-williams bonding primer is truly amazing. It worked great for me and when I was getting the last quart (because I needed about 1/4 cup more to finish...isn't that always the way?) the guy at the store told me that Bonding primer isn't even the most effective stuff they have, that Sherwin williams has something that you can even paint over glass! So, for everyone out there who would like the polished aluminum look--like the cool art trailer. It won't look exactly like polished aluminum, but you can get pretty close and pretty cool with faux painting.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
A resurected Thread...Airstream Art.

I know there are those interested in both subjects involved here...COME ON....I can see polished aluminum and rivets here....
The Branded Cowgirl Presents: The Painted Bra Project | Facebook