Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Affinity-group Rally/Caravan Proposal...

Following on threads that have discussed ad hoc rallies, I have an idea/proposal to throw open for discussion extending a bit what Uwe has been doing, for example.

My idea is for a calendar of locations built around affinity-groups. The two I have in mind for starters are flyfishing and photography, which might even be combined into one since flyfishing locations are beautiful places for photography buffs.

People interested in building say a flyfishing rally calendar would suggest dates and locations for getting together. The calendar would follow the fish by picking out the best times and places and stringing them together to maximize stops in a state and in contiguous states over the entire fishing season. Some places are better at one time of year or another so this would take quite a bit of input from knowlegeable fisherfolk. There might be several calendars for different parts of the country.

The affinity group would post the calendar with the understanding that anyone could come and join the comaraderie whenever they like. In that way people could chose one or more, in sequence or not, as time and interests allow. In this way the group would expand or contract, travel together for a while or not, involve people with lots of time to participate or with just a couple of days to visit. Y'all come whenever you like would be the standing policy.

Nothing formal; nothing rigid; nothing obligatory. No dues; no officers; no rules; just good old American ingenuity and spontaneity. People would make their own arrangements for sites at the designated campgrounds.

Certainly, it would be nice for all the Airstreamers to locate side-by-side, but that would probably be too complicated or involved. I suggest that participants in the ad hoc rally have a standardized way of identifying themselves as affinity group participants. Perhaps a sign to display in the window with names or some flag or both.

Okay, enough of my chatter. Now, what do you all think?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
That is a FANTASTIC idea!!! I am a photographer and would love to combine that with airstream social events. I think the way to do this would be for those of us to let others know where we are going to be traveling so plans to meet up can be made. If all goes to plan I will be bumping about in southern NM during April, some of you camera minded types will be in the area and want to do some shooting.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Very interesting idea. I think it has a lot of merit. Right now we have all the events located on a single calendar. Having regional calendars might be the solution we need to make it easier to sift through what is going on in your area. Then I could setup joinable groups or add profile fields for the affinity groups coupled with your location (region) would help make a system to let others in your area know about impromptu rallies.

Let me mull over the options on how to set a system like this up. I think we can do everything we need right out of the box but it will take a somewhat sophisticated implementation. Keep discussing things here and I will chime back in...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was also thinking regional calendars might be helpful. I think by the time rally season really gets going, the calendar could have a lot of stuff on each day all over the country.

I also think special-interest group rallys would be a great idea. I know we've mostly just been doing general rallys, but I would love to go to a flyfishing rally. Or maybe biking, or kayaking, there's so many possibilities!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I also think Mike’s has a great idea.
Let me expand with my dream: Within the next few years I would like to travel from my home in Virginia to Alaska and back. But not in a well-planned, scheduled & organized WBCCI caravan. It would be nice to join-up, caravan and camp with others for segments of the trip, and do whatever the special-interest or ad hoc group wants to do for a period. A semi-independent caravan of loosely connected pilgrims. I have enough confidence to feel safe going solo or with a few others. As a young man I traveled the world by myself, because not one of my friends who could, wanted to invest the time or had the interest to see what was out there.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do." - Mark Twain
Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Andy,

I welcome your suggestions and expertise. Having a limited and standardized set of key words where those key words are the affinity-group names like "flyfishing", "photography", "kayaking", etc. would allow ready grouping of calendars I should think.

Then each affinity group ought to have a forum to put together their thoughts and suggestions with perhaps a moderator or group leader or group of people who collectively assemble the calendar.

I'm encouraged by the other responses so far. I think that meeting by group interests rather than rallies with little or no prior knowledge of the interests of the participants will strike a responsive chord with many.

Thanks.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Trying to get things on the calendar now is easy, I think that later, as Steph said, it will be harder to see what is available each weekend. Things may get a bit muddled. I think regional calendars would be great!

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think for simplicity sake, it might be a good idea to stick with the WBCCI Regions as our forum regional basis. That way, those rallies & activities could also be included for folks wanting to check out the club between forum events. Here's a link: WBCCI Regions

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
My idea is for a calendar of locations built around affinity-groups. The two I have in mind for starters are flyfishing and photography, which might even be combined into one since flyfishing locations are beautiful places for photography buffs.
That's a really neat idea.

However, are you REALLY sure that flyfishing and photography can be combined? If so, count me in. (Oh, and you just might find that that cutthroat up near that big rock would make a nice picture too.)

(I only got to camp in my Airstream and flyfished for 90 days straight last summer - maybe with your idea we could extend the time a bit more!)

Old 12-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Now that is the type of country I want to see and camp in. Not a Fairgrounds parking lot.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJones
Now that is the type of country I want to see and camp in. Not a Fairgrounds parking lot.
Are you serious, or is that just a lot of BULL?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Awesome pictures, Flyfisher!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Great idea

I love the idea of being able to follow the particular interest group type functions in stops and progression of the year schedule optimized for the activity. Maybe the calandar can be color coded or key word as you say so that the many other events could be separated. I have interest in photography, hiking and biking for certain.

Flyfisher breath taking photos especially the elk (?)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Fantastic idea! If there's ever a photography, biking, and shooting rally, I'm there.