Old 09-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Acadia Forum Rally Sept 2004

Well, we were going to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor ME, and thought it would be fun to invite our good friend "wheel interested." She and her husband enthusiastically joined in -- they are driving all the way from Michigan.

And then I told my friend "gadgetat" and he and his wife joined in. They are driving from New Hampshire.

And then he told a pal that he met at the Airstream dealership, and now they are planning to come ...

(You can see where this is going, can't you?)

AND SO, we decided to just make it a Forum Rally. The more the merrier!

So here's the scoop: There will be a Forum Rally at Blackwoods Campground, Acadia National Park, Sept 14-19, 2004. That's less than two weeks away!

We will be cycling the carriage paths, hiking the trails, taking lots of photos, and attending nightly Ranger Programs in the ampitheater (which are usually very good!) Acadia is a marvelous national park with many things to do, including historic sites, sandy beaches, gardens, boat trips, and much more!

I also have been informed by a "reliable source" that two Editors from Airstream Life will be there gathering photos and interviews for an article to appear in the magazine next summer

If you want to come, just make yourself a reservation through the National Park Service website at http://reservations.nps.gov/ and then send me a PM so we know to expect you, or post on this thread.

Blackwoods is a no-hookup campsite (dump station, toilets, and water are available). Generators are allowed. If you like to have hookups, you can go to Bar Harbor Campground, about 8 miles away.

Info about Acadia can be found at http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

Info about Blackwoods campground can be found at http://www.nps.gov/acad/camping.htm

Hope to see more of our Forum friends there!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
what not to miss in Acadia?

I am getting really excited about hooking up with other Airstreamers. Has anyone a list of "must sees" in Acadia? I sure hope some of you can join us!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Well, we were going to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor ME, and thought it would be fun to invite our good friend "wheel interested." She and her husband enthusiastically joined in -- they are driving all the way from Michigan.

And then I told my friend "gadgetat" and he and his wife joined in. They are driving from New Hampshire.

And then he told a pal that he met at the Airstream dealership, and now they are planning to come ...

(You can see where this is going, can't you?)

AND SO, we decided to just make it a Forum Rally. The more the merrier!

So here's the scoop: There will be a Forum Rally at Blackwoods Campground, Acadia National Park, Sept 14-19, 2004. That's less than two weeks away!

We will be cycling the carriage paths, hiking the trails, taking lots of photos, and attending nightly Ranger Programs in the ampitheater (which are usually very good!) Acadia is a marvelous national park with many things to do, including historic sites, sandy beaches, gardens, boat trips, and much more!

I also have been informed by a "reliable source" that two Editors from Airstream Life will be there gathering photos and interviews for an article to appear in the magazine next summer

If you want to come, just make yourself a reservation through the National Park Service website at http://reservations.nps.gov/ and then send me a PM so we know to expect you, or post on this thread.

Blackwoods is a no-hookup campsite (dump station, toilets, and water are available). Generators are allowed. If you like to have hookups, you can go to Bar Harbor Campground, about 8 miles away.

Info about Acadia can be found at http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

Info about Blackwoods campground can be found at http://www.nps.gov/acad/camping.htm

Hope to see more of our Forum friends there!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Already signed up for the Big E Rally like others, else we'd be there.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Must sees for Acadia and Bar Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I am getting really excited about hooking up with other Airstreamers. Has anyone a list of "must sees" in Acadia? I sure hope some of you can join us!!!
September is a wonderful time to visit Acadia. The weather is still good, but all of the tourists have gone.

I've been going to Maine in the summers for 50 plus years! We've stayed in Corea, a little lobster fishing town across Frenchman's Bay from Acadia.

Here's my top 10

1. On the way to Acadia from Ellsworth, the Trenton Lobster pound is a great place to enjoy a steamed lobster outdoors.
2. Have lunch at the Jordan Pond restaurant.
3. Drive up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. The highest mountain directly on the ocean.
4. See the Thunder Hole for great booming surf.
5. Dip a toe in the water at the sand beach to feel the coldest water around.
6. Bike ride the carriage trails that the Rockefeller's built.
7. Take the schooner trip out around Egg Rock Light. You'll see some Bald Eagles, but probably not any whales. The boats leave from the town landing in Bar Harbor. There are other boat rides, but the schooner is the most fun.
8. Geddy's Pub in Bar Harbor on Main St is great if you like adult beverages.
9. The artists co-op in Bar Harbor has some interesting crafts and paintings.. All of the other shops in Bar Harbor have the same stuff.
Sherman's Book Store is worth a visit. Lots of local Maine books.
10. If you have time, see some of the other towns on Mt Desert Island.
I think the Rockefellers still have a place in Southwest Harbor.
11. If you have still more time, drive back into Ellsworth, then take Rte 1 east to the Schoodic Point section of Acadia park. More spectacular surf and rocks. Or take the ferry to Winter Harbor if it is running.

A great bike ride loops from the entrance to Schoodic and but you have to get on a windy local road for the ride back after you exit the park.

On the way into Schoodic, take a right and see downton Winter Harbor. It looks exactly the same as postcards from the 20s.
The Winter Harbor 5 and 10 was featured in the Smithsonian Magazine a few years ago. Chase's Restaurant has wonderful fried clams and chowders, and you'll meet some colorful local characters. Gerrish's Drugstore still has it's soda fountain.

We're flying up on the 25th for a week in Corea. The QM2 will be docking in Bar Harbor on the 27th. They are expecting half of the state to come down to see it.

Paul & Dee
Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
queen mary and thanks

All those ideas sound great! Thanks for sharing those tips. There are quite a few I would like to be certain to take in. I am printing this out and keeping it handy. Enjoy your week in Corea.

I have heard the Queen Mary 2 is quite a ship, huge for the number of passengers it will carry and very posh. What I wouldn't give for a deluxe suite with a glass fronted balcony!!--well except for maybe the going fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul&Dee
September is a wonderful time to visit Acadia. The weather is still good, but all of the tourists have gone.

I've been going to Maine in the summers for 50 plus years! We've stayed in Corea, a little lobster fishing town across Frenchman's Bay from Acadia.

Here's my top 10

1. On the way to Acadia from Ellsworth, the Trenton Lobster pound is a great place to enjoy a steamed lobster outdoors.
2. Have lunch at the Jordan Pond restaurant.
3. Drive up to the top of Cadillac Mountain. The highest mountain directly on the ocean.
4. See the Thunder Hole for great booming surf.
5. Dip a toe in the water at the sand beach to feel the coldest water around.
6. Bike ride the carriage trails that the Rockefeller's built.
7. Take the schooner trip out around Egg Rock Light. You'll see some Bald Eagles, but probably not any whales. The boats leave from the town landing in Bar Harbor. There are other boat rides, but the schooner is the most fun.
8. Geddy's Pub in Bar Harbor on Main St is great if you like adult beverages.
9. The artists co-op in Bar Harbor has some interesting crafts and paintings.. All of the other shops in Bar Harbor have the same stuff.
Sherman's Book Store is worth a visit. Lots of local Maine books.
10. If you have time, see some of the other towns on Mt Desert Island.
I think the Rockefellers still have a place in Southwest Harbor.
11. If you have still more time, drive back into Ellsworth, then take Rte 1 east to the Schoodic Point section of Acadia park. More spectacular surf and rocks. Or take the ferry to Winter Harbor if it is running.

A great bike ride loops from the entrance to Schoodic and but you have to get on a windy local road for the ride back after you exit the park.

On the way into Schoodic, take a right and see downton Winter Harbor. It looks exactly the same as postcards from the 20s.
The Winter Harbor 5 and 10 was featured in the Smithsonian Magazine a few years ago. Chase's Restaurant has wonderful fried clams and chowders, and you'll meet some colorful local characters. Gerrish's Drugstore still has it's soda fountain.

We're flying up on the 25th for a week in Corea. The QM2 will be docking in Bar Harbor on the 27th. They are expecting half of the state to come down to see it.

Paul & Dee

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
A week away

We've gotten our reservations squared away. Looking forward to meeting everyone who is coming along! I was glad to see this thread at the front of the forums when I paid a visit today!

See everyone in 1 week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
All those ideas sound great! Thanks for sharing those tips. There are quite a few I would like to be certain to take in. I am printing this out and keeping it handy. Enjoy your week in Corea.

I have heard the Queen Mary 2 is quite a ship, huge for the number of passengers it will carry and very posh. What I wouldn't give for a deluxe suite with a glass fronted balcony!!--well except for maybe the going fare.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Paul & Dee -- thanks for the great list of things to do. We've done about half of those on prior trips, and plan to get to the rest of them on this trip!

I can add some other things we've done:

-- see the lighthouse near Seawall (SE corner of Mt Desert Island)
-- go snorkeling at Seawall (terrific sea life and good visibility, but wear a full wetsuit!)
-- walk/hike any of the many wonderful trails (easy to difficult, take your pick)
-- watch the high-speed "Cat" depart Bar Harbor, or ride it as a daytrip to Nova Scotia
-- try the blueberry ice cream in downtown Bar Harbor
-- enjoy the beautiful (free) Thuyea Gardens and historic house

It's a terrific area and there's no end of things to do!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote