Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Organization isn't cheap...

I believe the Major WBCCI Rally leaders are also compensated, and all fees are included, from ferries to camping reservations to events and misc fees, plus all meals are expected to be communal and shared expense from Kitty.. I agree the 4 to 6 week models have very limited target audience, and some 6 to 10 day versions could be a hit...

There are issues with finding sites as well, as many of State/Federal park campgrounds will be "full" during touring season (though I see lots of mpty spaces on drive-thru's, and wonder about incentives for rangers/hosts to keep all the spots full every night..). In addition, private campgrounds HATE requests for a dozen or more spots "together", since each space is occupied and vacated at random, and holding a bunch together is a chore, or means trying to negotiate to move people out of the way.. It is especially difficult to get 20 or more people to agree on meal planning, as some enjoy early meals, others enjoy later dining, and some enjoy large full meals with alchohol and others enjoy small snacks and home-made sandwiches..

That said, idea of Forum Caravan for a week (2 weekends) seems intriguing, either on west coast, or northwest, or area around Glacier Park/ Yellowstone/Canadian Rockies for western US. Suggestions could include maximum of dozen or so units, schedule small number of communal meals and let folks adapt to remainder of eating opportunities, and arrange general schedules and stopping points, plus touring agenda... If not being adjacent in parks was tolerable, and not eating all meals together worked, it could be managed... You'd still have companionship, emergency backup or assistance for breakdowns, a planned route and interesting things to see and do.. CB Radios or GPRS for communication between vehicles. Sort of like difference between Forum Rallies (semi-organized with single meal planned and casual hours/activities) and WBCCI Rallies (lots of organization and planned activities..) Hmmm. I'm gonna send PM to Big Dee and see if this could work...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
I hope that the mistery caravan is still around when I can finally hit the road with my Ambassador!!! I for one like the idea!!!!!

Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #17
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I led several mini Forum Caravans to Mexico's Baja California.
It's really not that difficult, as long as everybody understands that it's a group effort. No one pays in advance, no one does anything they don't need or want to do. We had a fabulous time!
I can see that in crowded areas, and especially during summer months, the degree of difficulty in organizing such an event grows exponentially.
the next one is scheduled March 15-19 2006 for a few days of boondocking on a beach south of San Felipe. It's listed in the Rally calendar, if anyone is interested.
We will decide ona meeting place once the date gets closer. It will be either in Desert Hot Springs, or somewhere near I-8 and El Centro.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by wheel interested
. Why is that a nightmare Jack?

The nightmare would be attempting to do a caravan where you didn't make reservations and hoped that space would be available on a drop in basis. There is no problem if you can reserve space ahead of time.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Since Texas State Parks do not allow sites to be pre-reserved (only a class of site can be reserved), we are thinking one host would go a day ahead to each park, appear at the park office first thing when they open in the morning with the reservation numbers in hand, and tie-up sites as close together as possible..
I don't know the rules of the Texas parks but we ran into a problem last year at Moraine View in Illinois. Upon arrival I found out that a couple of sites that were reserved by forum members would be available since they wouldn't be coming. I attempted to get those sites for some other forum members who wanted to come, but called too late for reservations. The park refused to let me pay for those sites, stating that I couldn't pay for a site and hold the sites for those coming. Even though the original reservation was from someone with our group. Bottom line in Illinois state parks upon arrival, you can only pay for the site you are occupying.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote