Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
3 AMP / Daisy Chain?

Hi, I haven't been to any Rallies that have the 3 AMP service and Daisy Chained water hoses. What is 3 AMP service? How do they only get 3 amps from a 120 volt system? Why do you need 50 feet of shore line? What type of "Y" water adapter do we need? How does this work? Will there be any water pressure at the far end or if your neighbor is running their water at the same time. Is there a time limit on running generators? Is there security for items left out while your away, so generators aren't stolen? Is there a pet sitter to watch Boo-Boo for us? I rather ask all of these dumb questions now, than to find out [the hard way] after we get there.

Explanations and pictures would be very helpful.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've been to a number of 3 Amp and Daisey Chained rallies, and each one seemed to be different. This is based on my experiences only, and I hope to be corrected if there are inaccuracies. Based on your request for information yesterday, I'm assuming you are referring to Alumafandango. I'm not an electrician or a plumber, so forgive any errors in terminology. If it's anything like the setup at Alumapalooza, I paid a little bit of attention, and it goes like this:

-I believe they ran a separate four gang electrical box for every four trailers in the row. We were told was told that each box was provided 15 AMPS, so essentially each trailer had a little bit more than 3 AMPS to share. They told us not to not use air conditioners, microwave oven, hair dryers, or anything that had a large draw, and to set our refrigerators on gas only. Nobody checked your draw, it was self policing. Use too much, and the breaker popped. No breakers popped on my rows in three years of Alumapalooza.

-At Alumapalooza, there was a temporary 2 inch water main running the length of the rally field with a tap for each row. Each trailer was responsible having for one or two hoses and an open "Y" (no shut off valves) to split the hoses to your nearest neighbor. Alumapalooza even supplied these, on request. Nobody checked to see if the "Y" valves were open, but I noticed several had valves. No problems. If you weren't there during the initial hook up, you had to tap in later. There were no water pressure issues at this event. But, I've been to rallies where over 20 trailers were hooked to one spigot, and there was an occasional water pressure issue, mostly during shower time. It's always fun when the people nearest the tap leave early on the last day. Usually, there is enough hose to leave the rest of the trailers hooked up, but not always. I always take plenty of hoses to these events to help out those who may not, and have found it better to take a few short hoses, rather than one long one.

-Typically, they separate the generator section from the electric section. I believe there was a time limit on how late they could be run, but I don't know if it was enforced.

-I've never been to a rally where pet sitting was provided. I saw plenty of improvised fences and enclosures around trailers that seemed to work nicely for most people, but each rally seems to be different. This year, our neighbor had three large dogs with such an arrangement, and it worked rather well. When they left the rally field, they took the dogs with them. I saw a lot of dogs on leashes at a variety of the functions. Nealy all of them got along just fine.

-I haven't been to any rally where formal security was provided specifically for the event. But Alumapalooza was at the Airstream factory, where it's gated, and they had some security on the premises. When rallying with fellow Airstreamers, we tend to look out for each other. I had zero concerns at any of the Alumapalooza events, or any of the Airstream rallies I have attended. In the generator section, I noticed some generators were left out unsecured while the trailer was hauled away for repairs. Again, each rally is different, so your mileage may vary.

-Additional information: At this particular rally they provided a pump out service at $20 bucks a pop. I noticed quite a few people using it. If you have a blue boy, it may be helpful if you use a lot of water.

Hope this helps.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"Is there a pet sitter to watch Boo-Boo for us?"

Bob,

This was our sitter arrangement during our dog show daze, not cheep though and probably a little over-the-top for Boo.
Now it's just 50' of 1/4" nylon tied to the tongue.
Granted we're not your typical camping with dog's rally type as "Fado" comes everywhere with us.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N AT THE DOG SHOW WITH BO.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	620.5 KB
ID:	160465  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
"3 amp" is simply a number of trailers hooked to the same 20 or 30 amp breaker.
The 3 amp part is simply a request to voluntarily limit your usage to keep it low. The usual request is battery charging only, and run the fridge on gas. We usually do run the fridge (1.6 amps) on electric, but do all charging by solar.
Don't use your electric frying pan , coffee maker etc.

The water is typically daisy chained with Y water connectors at each trailer.
They prefer that the Y be unrestricted and the hose be 5/8 th diameter (white). Some feel that the Y with the shutoff creates to much restriction. The unrestricted Y seems to be harder to find these days.
We prefer to put a shut off on our hose and fill the water tank and run off it so we don't have pressure issues.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
It's been mentioned here already but to put it more bluntly:

3 amp elec. means you use nothing 120V AC in your trailer. Your battery charger will pull less than 3A and as long as your running everything in the trailer off of 12V DC, you'll never pull more than 3A off of the 120V AC supply to the trailer.

Daisy chain water means you fill your fresh tank and then shut off the supply. Water pressure in the trailer should come from your 12V water pump, not from the water supply line. Although if people are judicious, as mentioned above, water pressure from the supply could be sufficient for many trailers since our trailers *should* have a regulator to step the pressure down to about 40 psi anyway.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post

3 amp elec. means you use nothing 120V AC in your trailer. Your battery charger will pull less than 3A and as long as your running everything in the trailer off of 12V DC, you'll never pull more than 3A off of the 120V AC supply to the trailer.

Daisy chain water means you fill your fresh tank and then shut off the supply. Water pressure in the trailer should come from your 12V water pump, not from the water supply line. Although if people are judicious, as mentioned above, water pressure from the supply could be sufficient for many trailers since our trailers *should* have a regulator to step the pressure down to about 40 psi anyway.
This about the best explanation I have seen!

And as others have pointed out, take plenty of extra hoses and cords with you.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I spent 5 days at the Florida State Rally back in February with 3 amp power and daisy chain water. Absolutely no problems. It was astounding how they parked 300+ trailers and mohos. Hot weather and no AC could be an issue though.
Take your hoses, y's, heavy drop cords, and have a great time.
John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:

Daisy chain water means you fill your fresh tank and then shut off the supply. Water pressure in the trailer should come from your 12V water pump, not from the water supply line.
That's interesting. We've been rallying for about 10 years now and we've never shut off the water supply when daisy-chaining water (nor has anyone ever asked us to) and it's always worked fine.

Our first Airstream had the old pressure-tank water system and I did find that it paid to put a check valve in the supply line so we didn't lose our tank pressure if somebody disconnected their hose!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
That's interesting. We've been rallying for about 10 years now and we've never shut off the water supply when daisy-chaining water (nor has anyone ever asked us to) and it's always worked fine....
Same here. Water pressure was great at Alumapalooza, as good as any campground (at least on my row), but at many other rallies, not so good. In those cases, I used both the tank and the street water. Again, everyone's experiences and perceptions are different, and is why I usually base my responses on my actual experiences and try not to speak in absolutes.

Bob, don't forget your 30-15 AMP adapter. You'll probably need it.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
That's interesting. We've been rallying for about 10 years now and we've never shut off the water supply when daisy-chaining water (nor has anyone ever asked us to) and it's always worked fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Same here. Water pressure was great at Alumapalooza, as good as any campground (at least on my row), but at many other rallies, not so good. In those cases, I used both the tank and the street water. Again, everyone's experiences and perceptions are different, and is why I usually base my responses on my actual experiences and try not to speak in absolutes.
Since my post has been referred to twice now, I'd like to point out that my statement was conditional:

Quote:
Although if people are judicious, as mentioned above, water pressure from the supply could be sufficient for many trailers
One can stay 100% on water connection and not use their tank. Likely many trailers can do this from one source since water is an intermittently used resource. If everyone fills their tanks and runs their pumps, then everyone can wash dishes at the same time, take a shower at the same time, flush the toilet at the same time. Not filling your tank and using your pump while daisy-chained relies on the statistic that not everyone will perform those acts at the same time. Personally, I like knowing that I can do those things whenever I want rather than getting caught in a situation where I can't.

Same goes for electricity. One person could pull 10A and get away with it so long as another trailer on the same breaker doesn't decide to do the same thing.

The fundamental under 3A + daisy chain water is that you treat your Airstream as the self-contained unit that it was intended to be. You get enough elec. to keep your battery(ies) charged and you can fill your fresh tank whenever it gets low. Anything beyond that is a bonus.