Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
great timing

You guys have great timing because I JUST made reservations to camp at Casitas over the kids' Spring break at the end of March. We have Fox #30!

Jack is from Ojai and we still have family living there, so we visit often. So, some facts about Ojai for your reading pleasure:

Ojai is the home of a wonderful spa named the Ojai Valley Inn and Resort. I've been there a couple of times and it's pretty swank. You used to be able to pay a small day use fee and enjoy the spa, but I'm not sure they do that anymore. Even so, they DO have a great bar, a to-die-for resturaunt, and even a beautiful herb garden dotted with little tea houses for private picnics.

Another great place to visit in Ojai is Human Arts. They have two shops - one is home furnishings and such, and the other is jewelry. Most of their stuff is made by local artists. Jack's wedding band is from Human Arts!

Another one of my MOST favorite places to go in Ojai is Barts Books. Check out the website, it's pretty cool.

And, Ojai has the best pizza joint in the world. It's called Boccali's Pizza and Pasta. Really great stuff, and a fun little spot to hang out with the locals.

And, Ojai has a great bike path through town for anyone who might want to get some excersise after all the eating and drinking....

Ok, so that's my tour of Ojai for you girls!

Cheerio,
Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
So I guess we are down to Santa Barbara Area or Ojai area.
Which one ladies? Then we can decide on a camp ground.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Both Casita and Cachuma sound good to me. I'm liking the sound of Casitas, but I'm flexible if anyone has other preferences. Who's in so far? Laurel, Meredith, Michelle, Cat? How about the rest of the crew? Deb? Paula? Kristiana? Anyone else? You don't have to do the towing you know, and I probably won't this time (Don't worry, I'll shake him once we get there~)
A great chance to see some lovely areas near Santa Barbara and Ventura!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Thanks Meredith for the quick tour. Sounds like there will be lots to see and do in Ojai. My last visit there was a couple of years ago to their state park, and my girlfriend and I went hiking to a waterfall somewhere in the park. It was nice and beautiful there if anyone like to explore more nature.
Needless to say, Lake Casitas itself have lots of beautiful area for hiking and picniking.

I am voting on that for sure. Since we've been to Cachuma already, it'll be nice to try out somewhere new. The lake is at a lower elevation before you drive up further the hill to Ojai, so it shouldn't be too hard to tow to. If I am not mistaken, please double check with Google map or your GPS, there are two ways to get to Lake Casitas. One from the north on 101 before you get to Ventura City Limit, I believe it's Hwy 150 from Carpinteria. From the South, take 101 north then Hwy 33 to 150.

Meredith, do you think we can still get reservation for the first week of March there?

=^^=cat
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
I would not recommend the highway 150 route to Lake Casitas. We drive that way to visit Jack's brother, but it's a very twisty, narrow two lane highway and it has a lot of traffic, including bikes. Personally, I think it's better to take the 101 to Highway 33 and go through Miner's Oaks and Oak View to the 150. A little farther for those of us coming from the North (about 15 minutes more), but not as stressful!

I'm not sure about getting reservations for March, but I would assume that it would not be a really busy time for them. If we are a large enough group, we may be able to secure the group camp area anyway (?)

Ocean Mesa would also be fun. I could try and pull some strings to see if we could get a break on the price for our group.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Meredith, I love your avatar! Do you have a larger version?
And thanks for all the Ojai info. Nothing like having inside scoop!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Silver at Sedgwick

Thanks, Janet! Check your e-mail - I sent you the file.

xxoo,
Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Whoooo Hoooo!

WOW! I'm glad I caught this thread before I got too far behind..

You can count on me and I'll bring either Evie again or another buddy who loves to travel and explore...or even...gasp....THE CHILD!

I'm leaning for the Ohai area if that's still a vote...there's so many places to go that I'd hate to repeat so soon even tho doing the 'Sideways' tour was UNBELIEVABLY fun....and... I can't remember what exactly....something about Fess Parker and some animal fur???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furthingy.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	50384  

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hooray for Deb and friend who could be The Child! Or Evie! Or *hopeful gasp* both!
So I'm going to call Casitas tomorrow about getting sites together and will get back with the scoop. Meredith--any more suggestions for ways to go about this? Are the group sites as nice as your favorites?
Bam, is Casitas good for you too? Cat, sounds like you're on board, and so is Michelle. Would love to hear from Paula, Paula, Kristiana, and anyone else who would love a little travel, bucolic scenery, the best of comraderie, good food and drink, hiking, shopping, reading, gazing, Airstream discussions (and yes we do swap recipes as well as hitching tips) and if Kristiana's there--maybe she'll bring some of her beautiful A/S jewelry! And I know there are other SB vicinity Airstream ladies out there who might want to just stop by for a visit and chat, and that would be terrific.
More manana,
J
Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Just talked to Casitas, and at this time they have 3 full hook-ups and 7 partials (water and elec.) available in the Fox area (their most popular) for that week end. All other RV sites are partial or dry camping, but they do have some availability. The group area that's available--Owl--has 5 partials and scattered water spigots, but she couldn't tell me if we'd all fit comfortably with our rigs.
Check out the web site Cat posted. It's really thorough.
Sites are going fast, and there are no hookups avail. at all the following two weekends.
What do you think?
Janet
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Janet, thanks for the thorough investigation. I am fine with partials for the weekend, since I do have a big tank considering. And if I am alone (without John), I shall be alright through the weekend with only water and electric. This way, the smaller trailers with small tanks can have the full hookups site, or whoever might be staying the longest, like Michelle.
I guess that we need to make a decision soon and start making reservation.
If all of us (the few who are for sure) agree with the date and place, we shall start the process soon.
=^^= Cat
Old 12-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
new streamer here

I have been following this post, because I lived on Hollywood Beach (Oxnard) 20 years ago, and get back to SB area every year to visit my brother. I just bought a 67 Overlander, and although I trailered it 1500 miles to return to NM, hope to do a "maiden voyage" sometime this spring to the west coast. I would like to hear how Casitas worked out, and for those with experience in the state parks on the coast the plusses and minuses. I know I stayed tent camping on the beach at Dana Point near Laguna, have stayed at Leo Carrillo Carpenteria and El Refugio...but when tent camping none of the RV accomodations mattered to me.

Enjoy your trip.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Thanks Janet!

Hi Girls,

I prefer full hook-ups, but I can dry camp or take a site with partial hook-ups. I guess I am trying to say is that I'm easy .

That didn't really come out right. I mean, um, I'm flexible...well, I can't do cartwheels anymore, so I guess I'm not that flexible, but I can make any site work for me.

Thanks for doing the legwork, Janet! I can't wait to get together again.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Alrighty then

I just made my res. @ Casitas for one of the partial h.u. sites: Fox 24.
In the partial area ("deluxe"-even numbered sites) 7 sites, 14-16 and 22-30 are avail.
In the full h.u. area ("executive") 3 sites, 17-21 are avail.
$40 for deluxe, $50 for exec...+$7.50 res. fee.

805-649-1122.

Hope this works for you Bam! Really looking forward to seeing everyone. Cat, are you going to tow with Big Red? Yowza!
Take care,
Janet
Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Cat, are you going to tow with Big Red? Yowza!
Take care,
Janet
I will be working on that ASAP. Still getting used to it for one. Though it's a few feet shorter than Big Yellow, and a lot quieter...our neighbors thanks us...it's not me that doesn't have the courage...it's him...it's hard for him to set me free!!!! Imagine the places I went with my Prius...and now with this setup????

I'll look into the reservation right away! Janet, which date(s) did you reserved?

=^^=Cat
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
My reservation request is in....

I tried calling to make my reservation but they stopped answering the phone at about 2:30 this afternoon. The website says the reservation number is open from 8am to 3pm, hmmm.

Anyway, I sent in the online reservation request form for 7March - 9March, 2008. I asked for one of the Deluxe sites on the lakeside (even numbers) but I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.

Do you think we should put this event on the rally calendar?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Yes,
Do we have dates?
I suggested March 7-9 Fri-Sun 2008.
Approve?
dis-approve?
Poll if could figure out how.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
So far, March 7-9, 08 works for me. One way or the other, I'll call tomorrow to reserve a Deluxe (water & electric only) site for those dates.
Janet, can you confirm when your reservation is for?
Thanks.
Cat =^^=
Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oops sorry. I went with the original dates of March7-9.
And just to clarify: all the sites I mentioned above are in the "Fox" area.
The calendar's a good idea Meredith. I'll give it a try and holler for help if I can't figure it out...
J
Old 12-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I put it in the rally list.
March 7-9 Ojai? That is where it looks we are headed.