Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2008 Moraine View Rally

Greetings Rachelle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Are you a strong swimmer??? YIKES!!
I am a non-swimmer and since 1993 have had near panic reactions to flooding. Something about looking out one's picture window to see the neighbor's car hauler being pushed by the current toward that window increases one's respect for the power of flood waters! The shock about that flood was that it was in Kansas and the house that I owned was nearly 100 years old and had never had water inside (being surrounded by water was a fairly common occurrence). Waited too long in that flood and had to be evacuated -- my nextdoor neighbor and I often discuss the funny picture of me passing my Chihuahua out of the bedroom window to another passenger in the boat and then following out my bedroom window into the boat.

I feel very fortunate to live well outside of the flood plain -- my place of employment, however, is in the flood plain -- and from reports may be nearly surrounded by water.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
OMG Kevin, that really is scary.. where do you keep your vehicles.. in particular your trailers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Rachelle!

I am a non-swimmer and since 1993 have had near panic reactions to flooding. Something about looking out one's picture window to see the neighbor's car hauler being pushed by the current toward that window increases one's respect for the power of flood waters! The shock about that flood was that it was in Kansas and the house that I owned was nearly 100 years old and had never had water inside (being surrounded by water was a fairly common occurrence). Waited too long in that flood and had to be evacuated -- my nextdoor neighbor and I often discuss the funny picture of me passing my Chihuahua out of the bedroom window to another passenger in the boat and then following out my bedroom window into the boat.

I feel very fortunate to live well outside of the flood plain -- my place of employment, however, is in the flood plain -- and from reports may be nearly surrounded by water.

Kevin
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2008 Moraine View Rally

Greetigs Rachelle!

Quote:
OMG Kevin, that really is scary.. where do you keep your vehicles.. in particular your trailers??
My family farm is about 10 miles from the Mississippi River and is well out of the flood plain so the trailers are well away from flood dangers. In fact, the Minuet makes its home on the side driveway next to the house and the Overlander resides in the side yard North of the Crimson King Maple tree and Grandiflora Magnolia trees. The photo below is of the Airstream and Argosy in their homes:

My experience with the Kansas flood pre-dated my purchase of the Overlander by two years. I still have the house in Kansas -- not much value for real estate in a flood plain in an isolated very small town. The Airstream and Argosy have both spent some time parked in the driveway of my house in Kansas, but only while on vacation and in good weather.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #164

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
JACK, help! Shine some light on this situation!

FOOD? THEMES??
Let go to the food topic first. Normally we don't start talking food until later on in April. You all are really early in wanting to talk about that.

As far as theme goes I haven't picked one personally since I'd rather you all talk about it together and we then will settle on what everyone likes or I'll break the tie. From a formal status I've heard two recommendations, one was for a UFO theme and another was a food related theme which was sort of based on Midwest food. That particular one could translate to favorite food where you could bring to the potluck, your favorite or something that the area you come from specializes in. Another thought would be bringing a recipe or possibly on open house day do a small food tasting event where those visiting could get a small bite of a regional specialty.

For example St. Louis is the city where toasted ravioli came from. If you don't know what that is, a chef at an Italian restaurant accidently dropped a ravioli into a pot of hot oil. From that mistake came a breaded ravioli fried in hot oil dipped into a marinara sauce. Makes a good snack and might be great for a tasting or an open house item.

The only shortcoming of doing something like this is how to deal with food and the open house. Although you don't have to offer the food itself, a recipe could be offered. As it ends up during tour hours some trailers are closed due to the owners walking around but everyone usually gets back at some point and opens up. So we can think about this further.

So lets see what other ideas are out there and we will get the theme settled and then later on in April we will put up the food list for the Saturday night pot luck.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #165

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Bob!

Here in Southern Illinois, today, an appropriate theme might be "a mobile Noah's Ark". In the past 24-hours, we have had 14 (yes that's fourteen) inches of rain. (and it is still raining)
Hoping for some warm, calm, spring weather!!

Kevin
Well we didn't get that much but we approached over 5 inches here in my neck of the STL suburbs. I was up all night emptying the shop vac sucking up the water that was working its way into the basement from the gutters which had saturated the ground next to the side wall of my basement. Once I dropped a tarp on the ground and redirected the flow, it was a matter of the aftermath which meant emptying the shop vac every 15 minutes till about 5am. Needless to say I stayed home from work today.

Tomorrow will be a different story since the local river close to my home is cresting at its highest historical reading. Unfortunately the storm drains at the entry to I-44 where I get on to go downtown tie to a creek to that same river. Last time we had serious flooding that intersection was underwater. It may take an hour or more just to get to the Interstate tomorrow if the closing occurs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Major Bummer

I was just told by my Guard unit that they are schedueling me for annual training from June 13-27. Originally I was told we would not be having annual training this year, but that has apparantly changed.

Sorry to all of those who wanted to see the new trailer. Guess you gotta make it to the Spring or Fall Branson Rally.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Let go to the food topic first. Normally we don't start talking food until later on in April. You all are really early in wanting to talk about that.
Jack
I think it's just because this winter has been scary and horrible.. REALLY horrible. we have broken records for sold AND snow, and falling off roofs.

Moraine is something to look forward to.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I was just told by my Guard unit that they are schedueling me for annual training from June 13-27. Originally I was told we would not be having annual training this year, but that has apparantly changed.

Sorry to all of those who wanted to see the new trailer. Guess you gotta make it to the Spring or Fall Branson Rally.

Steve
WHAT?/ NO armadillo eggs??
Old 03-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #169
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Steve,
Bummer. I was hopping the kids could get together.

Food theme, maybe a medieval banquet?

Idea.... Medieval Banquets: Information and Much More from Answers.com
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #170
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
No dillo eggs...sorry
Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Headcheeses of the world! --- anyone? anyone?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Gary's Idea

Those of you who know me know that my trailer is Area 51.

BUT the UFO theme idea for Moraine View this year was not mine.. it was Gary's.

After what happened in Allen, TX with all of the UFO sightings, he thought that we should say that Allen TX has NOTHING on us and we could host our OWN UFO convention.

This would possibly gain a LOT of attention.. it would be fun if the newspaper showed up.

The idea also instantly gives an idea for a movie : Close Encounters :-)

Keep the ideas coming, but give this one some thought.. there are LOTS of possibilities for decorating!!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Headcheeses of the world! --- anyone? anyone?
Headcheeses of the world would be my SECOND choice.

Sylta anyone??
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #174
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
How about a Desert theme? You know "Life is short eat desert first!"

Twinkies anyone????????
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Sugar Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
How about a Desert theme? You know "Life is short eat desert first!"

Twinkies anyone????????
Do you really want to be locked in your trailer with your four kids on a sugar high?

You'd better run that past Laurie.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
DO give us an update! I haven't heard one peep for a long time...
Jack and Patti, are you both safe and dry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well we didn't get that much but we approached over 5 inches here in my neck of the STL suburbs. I was up all night emptying the shop vac sucking up the water that was working its way into the basement from the gutters which had saturated the ground next to the side wall of my basement. Once I dropped a tarp on the ground and redirected the flow, it was a matter of the aftermath which meant emptying the shop vac every 15 minutes till about 5am. Needless to say I stayed home from work today.

Tomorrow will be a different story since the local river close to my home is cresting at its highest historical reading. Unfortunately the storm drains at the entry to I-44 where I get on to go downtown tie to a creek to that same river. Last time we had serious flooding that intersection was underwater. It may take an hour or more just to get to the Interstate tomorrow if the closing occurs.

Jack
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Bob; a couple weeks ago, you said that you could fix the problem I was having with the forum. I now have 2 addresses; Mike Johnson and Airtandem. If you would like to eliminate the Mike Johnson account, so be it. Thanks for the help.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay Mike -- it's done. The posts from each account are saved & added together and Airtandem appears as the username for all of them now. It doesn't look like you get your 5-post first rivet with merged posts. Hmm... You might need another post or two under Airtandem.

Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #179

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
DO give us an update! I haven't heard one peep for a long time...
Jack and Patti, are you both safe and dry??

Yep, other than the all night vigil we came out fine. Our only issue was the water from my gutters and the saturated ground. I'm high on a hill so the problems from the river about a mile from my home were limited to road access.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #180
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem
Bob; a couple weeks ago, you said that you could fix the problem I was having with the forum. I now have 2 addresses; Mike Johnson and Airtandem. If you would like to eliminate the Mike Johnson account, so be it. Thanks for the help.
mike
Mike, Welcome to the forums! It is nice to have another Quad Cities member on the sheets! Enjoy the reading and learn lots mabout your trailer here... Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote