Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #381
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Wow... we're going to do well to get there on Friday night... don't know for sure what we'll be showing up in... but hopefully we'll be there before Saturday morning.

Don't have flags... don't know what we're doing for food yet... life has been more than hectic here... writing from 300 miles from home tonight... been here all weekend... have to take our son to college near Des Moines for an indoc over-night on Thurs nite/Friday... so we'll be there when we can.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #382
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325

Don't have flags... don't know what we're doing for food yet.
Roger
Roger, we have been coming up with a similar problem with food. Difficult packing food for our first trip out since we have never been out before, and truely don't know what to bring. Also difficult since our fridge is electric only, and all our food will be in coolers until our refer cools down enough.

I assume we will really over pack since it is our first trip. Live and learn.

Steve
Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #383
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Roger, we have been coming up with a similar problem with food. Difficult packing food for our first trip out since we have never been out before, and truely don't know what to bring. Also difficult since our fridge is electric only, and all our food will be in coolers until our refer cools down enough.

I assume we will really over pack since it is our first trip. Live and learn.

Steve
Not trying to tell you what to do but I believe there is a KFC nearby in Leroy. I think I would consider that if it was our first time out and our fridge only ran on electric.

There may be other similar places, but that one came to mind; Just a suggestion!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #384
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I will be bring cherry cobbler Schabica will be bring brats. see you all thursday night
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #385

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The fact that it only runs on electric sounds like you have a regular compressor type fridge. Obviously its cool down time will be much faster than the typical RV refrigerators. Since there is a grocery store in town and much bigger one's in Bloomington, you could leave the refrigerated stuff at home and buy it up there. That way you aren't dealing with coolers (although you may need them on the way home).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #386
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Jack,

You are correct about my fridge. It is an electric dorm size unit. The way the PO refurbished this trailer was for a comfortable sleeping area with a very large bath/shower area. He didn't add a gas refer since he wanted a particular layout. We plan on having most of our food frozen to it stays cold

Amy did a dry run packing of it today and it worked fine as long as we keep our soft drinks and large containers in the cooler.

Steve
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #387
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Jack,

You are correct about my fridge. It is an electric dorm size unit. The way the PO refurbished this trailer was for a comfortable sleeping area with a very large bath/shower area. He didn't add a gas refer since he wanted a particular layout. We plan on having most of our food frozen to it stays cold

Amy did a dry run packing of it today and it worked fine as long as we keep our soft drinks and large containers in the cooler.

Steve
A person I know has a regular fridge like you. He had it set up with an inverter to keep it running while traveling. I'm not sure what size you would need but that is another possibility.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #388
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Inverter -- interesting idea Bill. Steve would have to rely on electric sites having an electric only fridge, so he would do less boondocking and less need to recharge via driving (slow process that that is -- 150-200 miles minimum required). Alternators don't have a lot of extra capacity and the distance thru the umbilical is pretty significant. I wouldn't look for a lot of amperage back in the trailer while underway and an alternator would probably result in further loss. What is the fridge amperage demand? Any damage if doesn't get enough? Might be a good topic for a separate thread and getting lewster involved.

I plug in my Safari in the driveway and have the fridge on 24 hours before a trip if I can. It's slow ... but I'll leave it unplugged and start the fridge on propane if I want it to cool down real fast!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #389
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Inverter -- interesting idea Bill. Steve would have to rely on electric sites having an electric only fridge, so he would do less boondocking and less need to recharge via driving (slow process that that is -- 150-200 miles minimum required). Alternators don't have a lot of extra capacity and the distance thru the umbilical is pretty significant. I wouldn't look for a lot of amperage back in the trailer while underway and an alternator would probably result in further loss. What is the fridge amperage demand? Any damage if doesn't get enough? Might be a good topic for a separate thread and getting lewster involved.

I plug in my Safari in the driveway and have the fridge on 24 hours before a trip if I can. It's slow ... but I'll leave it unplugged and start the fridge on propane if I want it to cool down real fast!
If I plug into my 110 household current, is that enough to get the fridge strting to cool a day before I leave?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #390

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
If I plug into my 110 household current, is that enough to get the fridge strting to cool a day before I leave?
Yep, that should be ok. I'll start my fridge up on electric 24 hours before I depart. It's plenty cold by the time I start loading food the next day or the evening before.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #391

Fenton , Missouri
For you first timer's heading for Moraine View here are a couple of driving tips. Once you exit at the LeRoy exit, there will be signs pointing the way to Moraine View. The easiest thing to miss though is one turn as you travel through town. That's a right turn where there is a Casey's gas/convenience store on the corner. I remember missing that turn on year 2. So follow the signs, and watch for that right turn at the corner where the Casey's is. After that point just watch the signs.

One other point is that the local gas stations are somewhat tight for maneuvering when you have a trailer in tow. If you are pulling anything over 25' in length, you may want to pick up gas at a station before you exit at LeRoy, or go back after you unhitched to refuel.

Other tidbits....there are two dump stations in the park. As you enter the park you will pass a station on your left. There is also a dump station in front of the check in area at the end of our loop. When you head for home, if the close by dumps are busy, you can still stop at the other one close to the park exit.

The weather looks like it might moderate and it looks like Thursday will be the hottest day. Highs for the balance of the week will be the low 80's with nights between 60-65. Be sure to bring a jacket or a pullover for movie nights..it might be a little nippy.

Those of you coming from the south might be coming from some warmer climes. I know last night's forecast for the STL area had temps in the upper 90's for Thursday. Since most of us will be carrying in full water tanks, watch your inflation levels of your tires and your towing speed. That hot pavement can take a toll on tires if you are under inflated or driving over the speed rating of your tires.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #392
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
food

I have perused all three of my White Trash Cooking cookbooks and Ruby Ann's Trailer park Cookbook, and can't find anything I want to inflict upon my friends. Then I went to my Roadkill cookbook.

So we're bringing tacos and fixings and since I love my 24 hour fruit salad, that, too.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #393
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Its going to be a hoot

You guys are going to have a blast, I really enjoyed it last year. I gave some thought to making a last minute dash up the interstate but between gas prices and family demands I have decided that isnt in the cards. Everyone have a little extra fun for me.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #394
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just spoke with Morraine View front office and told them we are arriving early. I also asked to be moved to a spot with better shade. The suggestion from them was to arrive and get a non-reservable "B" site that is behind the A spots. I want trees for more than shade...they offer some rain protection as well. I guess I will see how the area looks at P29 when we get there, and change if I need to.

Steve
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #395
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Well, I'm a HAPPY CAMPER now!
We got our camper back today and I don't have to wait any longer. That anticipation was killing us. Now we can start getting ready for the trip to Moraine View.

I don't even have to go back to work until the 21st of June.

YEAH!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #396
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
For you first timer's heading for Moraine View here are a couple of driving tips. Once you exit at the LeRoy exit, there will be signs pointing the way to Moraine View. The easiest thing to miss though is one turn as you travel through town. That's a right turn where there is a Casey's gas/convenience store on the corner. I remember missing that turn on year 2. So follow the signs, and watch for that right turn at the corner where the Casey's is. After that point just watch the signs.

One other point is that the local gas stations are somewhat tight for maneuvering when you have a trailer in tow. If you are pulling anything over 25' in length, you may want to pick up gas at a station before you exit at LeRoy, or go back after you unhitched to refuel.

Other tidbits....there are two dump stations in the park. As you enter the park you will pass a station on your left. There is also a dump station in front of the check in area at the end of our loop. When you head for home, if the close by dumps are busy, you can still stop at the other one close to the park exit.

The weather looks like it might moderate and it looks like Thursday will be the hottest day. Highs for the balance of the week will be the low 80's with nights between 60-65. Be sure to bring a jacket or a pullover for movie nights..it might be a little nippy.

Those of you coming from the south might be coming from some warmer climes. I know last night's forecast for the STL area had temps in the upper 90's for Thursday. Since most of us will be carrying in full water tanks, watch your inflation levels of your tires and your towing speed. That hot pavement can take a toll on tires if you are under inflated or driving over the speed rating of your tires.

Jack
Jack, thanks for the warning about the tires. Our camper had 42lbs. of air pressure in them. I was thinking they looked a little low but taking a closer look it was rated for a max of 80 lbs. I would imagine that the camper will even pull somewhat easier now that I pumped them up.

Also, about the gas stations; if my memory serves me correctly, I believe there is a truck stop just across the interstate from Leroy.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #397
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
Jack, thanks for the warning about the tires. Our camper had 42lbs. of air pressure in them. I was thinking they looked a little low but taking a closer look it was rated for a max of 80 lbs. I would imagine that the camper will even pull somewhat easier now that I pumped them up.
We blew a brand new tire coming back from the VAC in Colorado two summers ago. Jack is right!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Barbecuing

Do any of the Thursday early arrivals want to have a barbecue in the evening? WE probably will be, you are welcome to join us. We can sit and watch for other arrivals :-)
Old 06-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #399
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I know we want to BBQ.....and I am bringing birthday cake. Interesting enough, Zamboni's daughter is having a birthday as well on Thursday.

Maybe Jack can set up movies on Thursday too......or maybe we can play Wii bowling.

Steve
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #400
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Angry nuf said

Time does indeed change things and so has our travel plans. Our plans for being at the rally have fallen thru and as of today we have had to cancel out. Site A09 is open should anyone want to change sites. I was looking forward to meeting all---perhaps next year---Have fun, but be safe--is that possible?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote