Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Fort Desoto

I would check at Fort Desoto near St. Petersburg. It's one of the nicest parks in Florida combines with some national history. It's a county park but if you do a search on Fort Desoto, You will find it. Make reservations as it is very popular.

Going south, you might consider taking Hyway 100 out of Gainesville To hiway 19 and plan a stopover at Salt Spring National Forest Campground. Very Nice.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #254
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
We've been monitoring the thread and it seems like some have already met before. In an attempt to get aquainted before the rally we've been reading profiles. Some additional questions might help us with this if ya'll don't mind.
How often do you get to use your AS?
What are two or three of your most favorite places you've visited so far?
How long have you been rving?
Where would your AS dream trip take you to?

For us, we're lucky to be retired and get to use the AS quite often. We purchased the AS last Feb and have taken trips in Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Oct and Nov. We spent all of Jul, Aug, and part of Sep in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada.
So far our 3 most favorite places we visited are Prince Edward Island Canada, the whole coast of Maine and Edisto Beach SP in SC. We return to these 3 places as often as possible.
We've be rving 10 years, the first 9 in a moho. After reevaluating our camping style we felt the AS would better suit us so made the switch.
Our dream trip would be a summer in Alaska, we're hoping to get there in the near future.

Hope ya'll will take the time to help us get aquainted.
GreggH & CyndiH

Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
The K9 set

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
. . . .Sugarfoot - We didn't go alone - we had the beasts with us. Clancy and Boo went for a ride and had a ball at our expense. Two big dogs that have rarely gone on the road was a handful, not like little Daisy. They got the hang of things until Boo spotted a deer in Tims Ford and took off like a rocket. He's not so young so he came back after about 200 yards but pleased with himself. . . . . Mike and Tina
Wow, you are very brave, two Labradors in your Airstream at the same time. Just their wagging tails can reek havoc. I've done it once with my Collie-Golden mix and my "Shepherdor". Will rethink it before another round with them, especially after Lulu went belly-deep in mud chasing a duck. Yeah, they are so proud of themselves when they follow that prey-drive and raise cane.

Aluminocentricity
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #256
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Well, I'm on line and read your request and think it's a grand idea.

What got me into th RV Life style was my job. Now retired, I was a Startup Engineer at nuclear power units across our country. To attract skilled craftsmen, there were usually campgounds close to the project and in some cases constucted just to provide a living option while you worked the job. Some of the locations where I camped while working were the Palo Verde project in Arizona, the Ranch Seaco Project in California, The Watts Bar Project in Tennesee.

Well, I was hooked. Started out in a 32" Holiday Rambler trailer I inherited from my folks - upgraded to an Avion 34 tripple axle - my home for over five years.

Best spots - Wow - I tend to like them all for what they are, I thrive on the varitiy of the wonders of our country Travellng north to south in the midwest and camping in the small towns - eating at the local resterant - Watching a local football game or rodio or baseball game - having a beer after - It's kind of the people.

We gotta get spell check on the fourm
Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Getting to know you

Hi Gregg, I guess it is obvious that there are a few of us that have met before. I met Devoman, David Alan, Clancy Boy, A-Merry-Can, and Silverhobby at the Georgia Fall Leaf Forum rally in October. My first rally ever, anywhere, anytime. It was great fun. This group for Florida has really grown and I'm looking forward to meeting more Airstreamers. Clancy Boy and I have, uh, what should I call it . . . a good-natured ongoing rivalry of sorts, so you have to overlook the bantering at times. But he doesn't know what he's in for yet during the Florida get-together.

Lets see, I've owned my TW since July this year, have been able to camp three times since, so you see I'm totally new at this. Never had an RV before in my life, unless you count my backpack. I backpacked and tent-camped for years. Now I'm getting spoiled. My favorite places to visit with the Airstream so far are Harrison Bay State Park here in Tennessee and the North Georgia Mtn. Fairgrounds on Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, GA. They are the ONLY places I've visited. I have a long way to go before I catch up with you and Cindy. When you said "dream trip" my thoughts immediately went to Alaska, before I even read what you wrote. Just breathing the air in Alaska is awesome, one of the most pristine places I've been. The runners-up would be the Mojave dessert and the Grand Tetons. I need a better TV for the Tetons.

Aluminocentricity
Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #258
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
People

I have pretty much met the same people also at the Georgia Mountain Rally.This was our first one also.I have only been RVing for about a year and a half and already been to georgia mountains,The Shannondoah mountains in Virginia.Savannah Georgia.I can not tell you how many times I have been to St.Augustine in the Camper anymore.My home town area but we are talking about 45 min or so away from here.Fortunantly I am very lucky with the job I have being that it is seasonal I am able to pretty much have four months off a year from Nov1st to Feb28th.So we tend to not be home as much as possible and just travel.It is great for the little one.
My Dream trip is to retire as early as possible and tour the U.S.
St.Augustine is our favorite spot to go.You have everything and the people are the best.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #259
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
After every trip...
As I look back and reminisce...
It is the road trip and sights I enjoy the most.
I'm a driver.
Camping since 1965...in almost everything, backpack to MH, except a pop-up.

Although a nice relaxing campfire has a way of making me sit still.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #260

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Gregg H- To answer your questions

We have had our Airstream (Lucy) since June of this year.
We have spent 67 nights in Lucy so far on 6 separate trips.
We have been all up an down the east coast, and did an extensive tour of Maine and New Hampshire.
Our dream trip is to Alaska.
Our favorite place so far has been Bar Harbor, Maine.
We hate to say this, but Tops'l is probably nicer that Bar Harbor. That's hard to say since we live here. Taking Lucy 3 miles to camp might seem a little strange, but it's that nice.
We have been RVing since June, but are experienced tent campers.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #261
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Down The Road

We also live down the road from tops and henderson but we still go there because it is nice to just get away and they are great parks to camp in.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #262
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Travels

How many people are going to try and meet up on the way here to travel together?That seems like something fun to do.It would look great seeing a few pull up into Topsail at the same time.Be an eye catcher for sure.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Working on The Argosy

Hi group,
Glad to see the attendance list growing. Even though there has been talk about the "row of silver" will you still welcome me in the painted Argosy? I do have others, but the Argosy is next in line for a FL trip...
PS Sugarfoot: The new boss said I can plan the trip-- just give 2 weeks notice!!
visit my restoration blog at:
Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Yeah, Devoman, that was cool when we first met at the gas station before Lake Chatuge. Then we got to caravan the last miles. How serendipitous, it was simply elegant to see you behind us around the curves, or the shadow of your rig in my tow mirrors even when direct sight was blocked by the TW. Really cool.

I would love to travel in with another 'Streamer, but we are leaving so early, Tuesday the 2nd in the AM. Anyone going to be around Chattanooga at that point?

Hey, Silverhobby, glad the time off worked out for you!

Aluminocentricity
Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #265
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Heck yea!!!!

It might be painted but it is still an Airstream in my book.I bet when you show up the SOB's will be more curious as to what yours is more than ours.
Glad you could make it.I have never seen an Argosy yet so if possible I would love to check it out.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #266
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Bar Harbor

moosetags,
We've spent a lot of time around Bar Harbor. If Topsail tops it this trip will be great. First time in Bar Harbor was 1970, since then have laid over there yearly on the way up to PEI. The town center hasn't changed much but the ride in from Ellsworth certainly has. We were there in Jun on the way up and again Sep on the way back this year. Done a lot of hiking in Acadia NP. Even though there isn't any trailblazing some of the hikes are challenging due to the inclines and lengths. Really looking forward to Topsail now.
GreggH