Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Holey cow, 3 posts while I was composting.! and Shadow is on! Hi! I want 3:00 too.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #72
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
it starts

Zep, GREAT job on the drawings. Both designs have there advantages. You may remember the at BSC a conversion bus drove right into the fire access lane in the dead of night, dumped it's gray water and would not leave till a stink was made, (pun intended)

Defending space will be a full time job.

I think drawing #2 defends the perimeters with the least number of rigs.

As time progresses we will need to firm up on attendees and a meeting place. Pyramid Lake is a idea for folks who have a few extra days. There is also a gas station off the main hwy which we could rally at on the day of arrival.

This will be a "No Spectators" rally and volunteers will need to step forward for things like clean-up, flag making would be cool, parking markers, and some administrative duties like Honey pot sign-up and the like.

Zep mentioned a central shade structure! sounds like just the ticket. How about gen sets, who has um and who don't.

I'll come up with a list of tasks and you can choose which may suit your talents.

Over and out!

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I haven't signed on yet but will probably be, unless we come up with something for our local StoneyPlain owners group. Maybe we could be adjoining neighbors, to reduce the border patrol duties. Theme camp helps you get set up earlier, but there's so much more you gotta do to be a theme camp.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
...Defending space will be a full time job.

I think drawing #2 defends the perimeters with the least number of rigs.
Michael, I have no experience on this topic, since I arrived on Wednesday last year as a Virgin. I was fantasizing that if 4 of us arrived and marked the "corners" that that would work for a day or so, enough time for others to arrive and fill in. You are right about #2 requiring the fewest space defenders, but if we arranged the first arrivals as "defenders," then it will be difficult to maneuver the later rigs into the inner circle, plus you penalize the early people by putting them on the border--maybe they want to be inner circle. Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
...As time progresses we will need to firm up on attendees and a meeting place. Pyramid Lake is a idea for folks who have a few extra days. There is also a gas station off the main hwy which we could rally at on the day of arrival.

...volunteers will need to step forward for things like clean-up, flag making would be cool, parking markers, and some administrative duties like Honey pot sign-up and the like.
Michael, you da man. I appreciate you taking on the task list, but what else would we expect from Da Leeda? We await your instructions.

Once we get a consensus on the parking plan, I would be pleased to bring the bigass tape (sorry, NevadGeo, it's only 250'), flags, pegs, etc. Do we need plastic yellow chain and Mace? Yellow police tape? Fierce bigdogs?

I would like some feedback [eventually] on how many rigs will use awnings, both Zip Dee and vintage rags. The awnings don't impact so much on the circle design (#2), but do on the eye design.

Dr. Quark
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #75
ChopperPilot

1964 17' Bambi II
walla walla , Washington
Send a message via AIM to ChopperPilot Send a message via MSN to ChopperPilot
Awnings

We have a old school awning with our 17' Bambi II, it will need room for the tie-downs. Also, I usually carry 1, and sometimes 2 - 10X20 shade assemblies. I only used one of them last year, so thats most likely what I will take this year. I can bring the other if needed. They are very strong and do not have issues with wind if tied down.

Our neighbors that are going with us here in the Walla are bringing their 26' Land Yacht with a large zip-dee awning and he usually has a 20X20 pavilion - perfect for group shade. Another friend is bringing our spare trailer, but it is not a Airstream, but a 1952 Western - old school cool. It has a big ole butt on it - we call the trailer "the Donk". That also has a old school awning.

If you wanna see these trailers, check out my pics from the burn at:
Burning Man 2007
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #76
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I just checked out your pictures - Are you a Mac couple? If so - kudos!!!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #77
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Nice photos.

The first Bambi in your slide show is ME.

I was apparently out playing on the playa...

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Burnstream Court on hiatus

For those of you who don't know me, I am Arc, a 7 year burner and avid Airstreamer. I founded Burnstream Court in 2002, with a little list server and a notice in the Jackrabbit (Burning Man's email newsletter). A guiding principle of Burnstream Court was radical inclusivity...you didn't even have to HAVE an Airstream to camp with us, you only had to LIKE them, and we took all comers until our planned (or later, when we were a registered theme camp, assigned) space was full. Yes, we had folks in tents and boxy campers, too, and we met some really wonderful people that way.

I was happy to see this thread start, and I applaud the efforts of Michael and any other organizers to put together an Airstream rally at Burning Man this year. I wish them and all of you great success in putting together a rally-type event within the framework of an official Burning Man theme camp (spacial constraints and interactivity requirements, most notably). I regret that as a named Airstream rally, it is less likely that Airstream enthusiasts who don't actually own one will be included, but that is completely up to Michael and the rest.

For the record, here is the text of the announcement that we sent out over the Burnstream List before tickets went on sale for this year, as written by me and approved by the Elders (aka founding members) of Burnstream Court:

Quote:
Dear Past, Present and Future Burnstreamers,

The past several years of Burnstream Court have been an interesting experiment in nearly unchecked growth in our relatively ad hoc organization and community. In many respects, it has been an amazing success. From four silver twinkies camping together in 2002, last year we parked almost forty! During this time, we managed to display our Airstreams in some impressive formations, and presented some unique activities and attractive camp entrances to the citizens of Black Rock City. In that sense, it has been a wonderful and positive experience for all of us, and I think we all should be proud.

This past year, however, while things may have seemed to proceed smoothly on the surface, in fact the Burnstream Elders experienced quite a bit of stress managing our burgeoning size, encouraging participation from Burnstreamers, and negotiating our theme camp status and placement with the Burning Man organization. After six consecutive years of increasing amounts of these complications and workloads, many of us have reached the point of burnout, and feel we need to take a year off to recover and regroup a bit.

And so it is with a heavy heart that we must announce that for 2008, Burnstream Court will celebrate the American Dream in part by going home, returning to its roots as a small gathering of friends, unregistered and unmapped. Our intent is to spend a year on the playa less concerned with the details of our own camp, so that we have more time both to get out and experience and participate in the rest of Black Rock City, and to reflect a bit on our future direction and refocus our efforts for 2009.

As a result, camping with Burnstream Court will be limited to the Burnstream Elders and a few of our friends, however, we welcome and encourage other Burnstreamers and Airstream enthusiasts to seek us out and camp on their own nearby. We will be claiming a site in open camping territory as near as possible to a location that will be announced here. We'd love to see you in the neighborhood on the Airstream side of town!

And have no fear! This is NOT the end of Burnstream Court. We have every intention of regrouping and coming back as a badass theme camp for 2009. In the meantime, the Burnstream email list will remain active as a nexus for communication among Burning Airstreamers. We hope you will continue to use it as such.

Thank you all for your interest and enthusiasm. We apologize if we have dissappointed anyone's hopes for 2008, but we hope you all can understand our need for some rest, recuperation, and revitalization.

See you on the playa!

...Arc
Pictures of past years at Burnstream Court can be seen at our web page, WWW.BURNSTREAM.NET, and the Burnstream email list can be joined under the the About Us tab there, though there isn't a lot of traffic right now.

Personally, I now have a three month old son, Graeme, so it is unlikely I will be towing an Airstream to the playa this year, though I hope to fly out for a visit to Burnstream Court for a few days. If I do, I look forward to visiting the rally and seeing some of you out there. And I encourage all of you to drop by and see whatever mandala formation we end up putting together at the Court.

To all of you considering attending, but still on the fence, I can only say that Burning Man is an Airstream destination like no other. The cross section of Airstreams and Burning Man seems to attract some really cool people, worth meeting and getting to know. Come with an open mind, and ready to boondock for a week in seriously harsh conditions both hot and cold, and you'll likely go home planning how to do it even better next year!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #79
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Arc,
Thanks for the well wishes and congratulations on the arrival of your son Graeme.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
Thanks, Michael, and thanks for taking this on!

Incidentally, the latest shots of Graeme are here:

A Brand New Kilovolt!

(proud Papa can't help showing off)
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #81
ChopperPilot

1964 17' Bambi II
walla walla , Washington
Send a message via AIM to ChopperPilot Send a message via MSN to ChopperPilot
Buttercup,
Yes, Mac all the way. I have all types of systems, Windows, UNIX (AIX, Sparc) but the one I use when it matters is the Apple....period. Its the Airstream of systems. Let anyone say what they like - I have them all so I can.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #82
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Good Man! - I am with you all the way. I hope to meet you on the playa. I would love to talk helicopter with you...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Hello all, I've thrown my hat into the ring and signed up for the BMRally. I've scored my tickets, a sight unseen 77 Argosy 22 and I'm currently stalking an 89 Suburban as my TV. Whether or not I can make everything BM proof or not is the challenge.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #84
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Ha - nothing is Burning Man proof! Nothing!