Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #43
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hey DP,

Sure! first you need to sign-up for the rally, then I can get you up-dates as we progress!

To sign up, go to the Rally Page HERE

and be sure to visit the BURNING MAN WEB SITE

Welcome aboard,

Scout Master EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPlumber
I want to go!!! I can help with something, could be there any time!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	depraidabm7.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	53898  

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Ok, I found this thread, finally! I wonder why no BurnStream Court this year? Did the BM powers reduce the "theme camp" spaces, or did Wally need to take a break.

Perry
Ticket ordered, putting in my vacation requesition very soon.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #45
ChopperPilot

1964 17' Bambi II
walla walla , Washington
Send a message via AIM to ChopperPilot Send a message via MSN to ChopperPilot
We received our tickets today! It's a very timely thing, these tickets & events.

It goes like this.

You get your Burning Man tickets, and you are totally jazzed.

Alarm bells sound and the planning begins - the outfits, food, gear, art project, activities.... Depending on the level of your planning, and as the weather warms up...the cyclo comes out, everything is tuned, and the streamer is made ready.

This has a knock-on effect as now you are ready to go somewhere. For us, we roll to the Oregon Coast. Next thing you know the summer is here - filled with great weekend getaways - keeping the mundane work and worries at bay.

Then as the edge of summer begins to soften, and you realize it's getting close to fall - all those freakin leaves...wait a minute...it's almost time for Burning Man!.... the fever pitch to prepare and pack is back on. How much beer, wine, food, gear, outfits, neon, PA system, music...

Then the mini-rally to get there with your buddies...We like to hang a night in the California mountains after driving through Oregon, then there is the event on the playa - WOW!

The week somehow goes to fast.

Following the event, the drive home is equally wonderful, perhaps as you are more tuned to see the beauty in things. Your buzz lasts for about a month. Evenings at the bar going through the What, When, & Where book - analyzing what you want to get to next time. Like every trip this is also including the ever-present debrief period; that time when we all piss and moan about the noisy neighbor - or "that guy" or "that girl", this or that...and we also laugh about ever more present funny things and cherish the great ones.

Then you start thinking about going again. You start watching the web. Then about the time winter (and the airstream sitting idle begins to really get on your nerves), you see the announcement that the tickets are about to go on sale. Alarm bells ringing, you alert the crew!

You want to be first to get the best price, so you plan that. At 10am PST, you hit enter and hope you made it....YES.

Then weeks later the and just as that edge begins getting dull, the tickets arrive with a Lemon Head candy in the little envelope - nice touch. yes, it brings one right back - and the thrill is on.

so, we got our tickets, and we are totally jazzed.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #46
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I believe Burnstream suffered from being too successful. There were so many people there this year and the elders felt that perhaps it had lost what they felt made it such a nice camp. I do know thet they were feeling the strain of growth as many camps do.
That is my supposition but I can say that they did decide to get back to basics, not register as a themecamp and and reduce the camp to a core group for this year. They are planning on camping around the 7:30 area in whatever location that can get once the event open's up.

I expect that they may have some difficulty getting their desired space because the rules have changed. No longer can you come out early and mark off a space for yourself, you have to take what you can get once the gates open up. Any camp not a themecamp who comes in before the gates open (these would be the volunteers setting up the city and themecamps but not general camping) up are only allowed to take as much space as they will personally need for their own use. You can not rope off a big old 400 foot long swath of playa for yourself and your closest friends before the gates open. So they will have to fend for themselves once the gates open.
Times have changed....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Sounds like two groups this year. The core Burnstream group (the Elders) and Michael's group (this group, or the Forums BM Buddy Rally or, more formally, THE FIRST ANNUAL BURNING MAN RALLY). I hpe the two "areas" that get claimed are close enough together that mingling will be convenient. Maybe we (this group) could get additional pointers on the best strategies for assembling a reasonably cohesive campsite.

For example, I didn't know that non-officials could show up early (per the post above). Does this mean you can show up and camp, or just go in, fence off a spot, then leave until the official gate opens at 12:01 Monday morning?

Maybe come in via NV 445, which heads north out of Sparks, then assemble along the south shore of Pyramid Lake. Then proceed up 447 to get in line, mostly close together? Do you think my Geolocator shirt would fool anyone if I wanted to be a traffic cop at the intersection in Nixon, so we could get onto 447 as a group?

Or everyone get an FRS radio set to the Rally channel?

Looking for input here.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #48
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
For example, I didn't know that non-officials could show up early (per the post above). Does this mean you can show up and camp, or just go in, fence off a spot, then leave until the official gate opens at 12:01 Monday morning?
No - it doesn't mean that at all. In fact there is an Early Arrival list and unless you are on that list volunteering in some sort od capacity, you will be turned away. Unless you are a themecamp, you do not get in until monday morning, 12:01 A.M.
If you are panning to be near Burnstream Court this year you should plan to be near the 7:30 area as that is where they have indiucated they would be. Perhaps some discussions should be had between the two groups to see what workable situation can be aranged...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Possible Arrangement

Okay, it's definitely not perfect and certainly will not accommodate enough Airstreams. Just playing around. Now I know there is someone out there who is good at this type of thing.

This design is based on 170' by 170' That number just stuck in my head somehow from last year. All the Airstreams are 31+ feet. So obviously there is plenty of room for change. I think maybe squishing top to bottom somehow might work. (Note, I tried to make it so anyone could pull in or out at any given time.) The corners could be for additional vehicles or people attending for just a day or two.

Have at it.

Michael, not stepping on toes here!!!!!!! Probably should have PM'd
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #50
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Was there a picture attached?
Burnstream had a 170 x 350+ that got an additional 50 feet at the last minute. I don't remember what the final trailer count was but 32 seems to stick in my mind.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
Ok, I found this thread, finally! I wonder why no BurnStream Court this year? Did the BM powers reduce the "theme camp" spaces, or did Wally need to take a break.

Perry
Ticket ordered, putting in my vacation requesition very soon.
going against the burningman spirit, burnstream court decided to "form a click" and not deal with adding a larger camp and to welcome all. old timers and special guests only. it's anti burningman spirit, and why bother w/ them. you're better off going as you are, here on the forums; or alone.

to read there email list is a trip... it's the most anti spirit of BurningMan i've ever read. read the "special post", where it's all spelled out for you. it's all about the "click", not about the spirit of the event.

"exclusion" is high on the list at BurnStream Court. they will deny it, put read the posts, they speak for themselves.

flame away. i don't care.

k.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGypsy
Okay, it's definitely not perfect and certainly will not accommodate enough Airstreams. Just playing around. Now I know there is someone out there who is good at this type of thing.

This design is based on 170' by 170' That number just stuck in my head somehow from last year. All the Airstreams are 31+ feet. So obviously there is plenty of room for change. I think maybe squishing top to bottom somehow might work. (Note, I tried to make it so anyone could pull in or out at any given time.) The corners could be for additional vehicles or people attending for just a day or two.

Have at it.

Michael, not stepping on toes here!!!!!!! Probably should have PM'd
michael, the "old timers", have no interest AT ALL, in your comments. you're better off just going w/ the unwashed. we are.

kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
..."exclusion" is high on the list at BurnStream Court. they will deny it, put read the posts, they speak for themselves.

flame away. ...
Flame flame flame. Had enough? BTW, I'll miss you and the peeps at Dead Horse!

Regarding the "elders," I'm a little more sanguine. I think the size, planning, objectives, activities, and RESPONSIBILITIES got out of hand--something got started that didn't jive with the original objective and was like Topsy. I've planned a few reunions and they are a pain in the butt. One would never volunteer if one knew how much work it would be and how little reward. So they're retreated to the original objective--old buds getting together and maybe even looking down on us newbies. Man, I have fun doing that, too.

So we're going to have another group and we're going to have an open house and Margaritas and great conversation and lots of "in camp" time. And I hope they have an open house, too, 'cause I'd like to go visit.

And this time I'm showing up with a battery....and a better plan for gray water!

Dr Quark (nom de guerre of BM)
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
mr zep,

after nine years at BM, i know something about the spirit of the event. (ask to read the "official announcement")

the elders of burnstream court have missed the mark. (IMHO, you may disagree, let's not go there)

so be it.

come to my camp, i'll offer a place to park, something to eat and drink, and as things come alive, expand our horizions... there's no limit... (well sleep gets in the way... darn!)

and i agree, i attend 12 - 15 rallies a year, i often host. it's a pain, but it goes w/ the territory.

i'm doing my own thing again.

to each his own.

in all sincerity, i wish all good will and safe travels.

k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Flame flame flame. Had enough? BTW, I'll miss you and the peeps at Dead Horse!

Regarding the "elders," I'm a little more sanguine. I think the size, planning, objectives, activities, and RESPONSIBILITIES got out of hand--something got started that didn't jive with the original objective and was like Topsy. I've planned a few reunions and they are a pain in the butt. One would never volunteer if one knew how much work it would be and how little reward. So they're retreated to the original objective--old buds getting together and maybe even looking down on us newbies. Man, I have fun doing that, too.

So we're going to have another group and we're going to have an open house and Margaritas and great conversation and lots of "in camp" time. And I hope they have an open house, too, 'cause I'd like to go visit.

And this time I'm showing up with a battery....and a better plan for gray water!

Dr Quark (nom de guerre of BM)
Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #55
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I also have 9 years at Burning Man, 8 of them in or involved with a Themecamp. And I understand kevbo's response but I do not completely agree with it.
I have seen many themecamps implode and want to get back to basics. I have done that myself. While I don't necessarily agree with BSC's decision, I fully understand and respect it. It is their choice and they are under no obligation to hold such a camp, nor include all who want to be in their camp.
But I do feel that if there is a strong residual desire to have such a camp, then those folks should and are stepping up to the plate. In the end it seems totally Burning Man'esque to me. I really do think that things are happening as they should, and as they do on the playa. We all know that not all goes our way on the playa and when it doesn't we adapt and find another way to achieve what we need. What happens when you forget that critical piece of your art piece and you are in the middle of building it? You continue and find a new way to make that piece a success.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Was there a picture attached?
Burnstream had a 170 x 350+ that got an additional 50 feet at the last minute. I don't remember what the final trailer count was but 32 seems to stick in my mind.

Oops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GeoLocator Camp2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	54062  

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote