Name:	IMG_7684 ant car.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	52559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7702 double rainbow.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	52560

wish I had more pictures without all those nekkid people in them...

Dr. Quark

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
oooh, oooh, oooh, I have an evil plan!
Now working feverishly on background info to convince my editors/publisher to pay my way to Burning Man to write about our local contingent of BM attendees. I just found out we have about 20-50 people from Jackson who go (one couple got married there last year).

IS it possible to get all the dirt/dust/white stuff out of your Airstream after attending one of these?

Bicycles, body paint, feathers, hula hoops, sunscreen, music, dancing, merrymaking, YAY!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
I'd do it. Went to Burnstream last year in my Silversteak MH "Twinkle" and had a good time and met some good people. For 2008 it looks like Burnstream is taking a rest. Me, I'm ready to head back and hang with the silver twinkies.

Mitch
Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No feathers! No boa's, no Moop (matter out of place). Feathers tend to come off whatever they are attached to and (excuse the pun) fly around where they litter the Black Rock.

This event is a Leave no Trace event which means that we do our best to..er, leave no trace. It is hard to do but once the event is over and all cleaned up, there is minimal traces of our presence there.

As was mentioned before, you really should read the Burning Masn web site - especially if you are a first timer. And above all, don't go if you plan on being a tourist - go if you plan on being a participant.

I am glad to see that an organized effort is starting to come together for Airstreamers. There is such a high desire to rally out there and with Burnstream Court's decision to cut back in order to get back to basics I know that desire will be even greater.

As a year round volunteer for the event AND an Airstream lover I will be watching this unfold with great interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
oooh, oooh, oooh, I have an evil plan!
Now working feverishly on background info to convince my editors/publisher to pay my way to Burning Man to write about our local contingent of BM attendees. I just found out we have about 20-50 people from Jackson who go (one couple got married there last year).

IS it possible to get all the dirt/dust/white stuff out of your Airstream after attending one of these?

Bicycles, body paint, feathers, hula hoops, sunscreen, music, dancing, merrymaking, YAY!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm waiting to see if the 4cu intends to set this up as a rally.

Pat
Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
ChopperPilot

1964 17' Bambi II
walla walla , Washington
Send a message via AIM to ChopperPilot Send a message via MSN to ChopperPilot
Theres a bordertown in every heart....this will take you to yours.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #21
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Zep- did that tree move?-I see that its on wheels.The art there is fantastic!

stella--No its not possible to get rid of that white clay dust!- My tent had one of those rain tarps over it and it came down to the ground and stopped at about 2 "--just enough space for the playa dust storms to put 1/4 "deep clay dust on my sleeping bag every night and everything else as well!

burnstream!--I love it!

I'd like to go abut once every 4 years I think.

I'd also like to stay on afterwards and help with what ever-- -I think that many stay after and spend one or two weeks cleaning up.....

Bam camper-- its the ART for sure!

Imagine this airstreamers-------25 to 30,000 people camped in a horseshoe that measures 1 mile wide by 1 mile tall--a shoe thats 4 or 5 "city blocks" thick! And in the middle of this wide open horseshoe there are many large constructions of ART!, muy fantastico ART!

I was a newby burner around 5 years ago
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #22
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Buttercup- You are right there! feathers seem to be quite popular--I walked the perimeter fence where every wind blown thing eventually ended up--got a great silk
scarf!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Playa amenities...

Forgot to mention the plentiful restrooms and showers...
and the easy access to a variety of sleeping accommodations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Potties.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	52567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Showers.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	52568  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burning Man 2007 - 138.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	52569  

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #24
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Our Airstream has attended, but we have not. My dear, and long suffering wife, talked me into loaning Bucky to a friend at work. In a very weak moment I agreed. They showed up with a horrid little Explorer and ended up taking not only the trailer but our Expedition as well. I ended up with the Explorer for a week and found out later that he had a pretty nice Model A which I would have rather used. Anyway, they went and had a great time. They were very nervous about not damaging anything and cleaned the trailer up better than I ever had. Not a trace of white dust. I did call them a few days later to tell them that I had found some funny looking dried up mushrooms in the ashtray and wanted to know if they wanted them back. After the panic subsided I admitted it was a joke. Two weeks after they returned one of the trailer wheels split in half while I was westbound from Tehachippi. Their karma must be a lot better than mine.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
O.K. I have made this post 3 times now. Somebody's playing with the database...
Imagine this - we were at just under 50,000 last year.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You CAN get the playa dust off, at least you can think you can. After everything is nice and clean, you'll open something months later and see a layer of it. Today, in several inches of snow, working on the black tank in the Sovereign, I opened the bumper locker to hook up the generator and noticed the entire locker is white dusty! So what, great memories.

Yes, the tree moved. Lots of things move. Art cars, like the ant, move. They run over stupid people. The objective is to have some stupid people left on the last day so you've got someone to run over. Moving things move in the day. They move at night. It is dark out there at night and stupid people don't have lights on themselves...

As a first timer in 2007, my advice is (the most glaring big ticket items--just the musings of a newly ex-virgin Burner):

1. Plan to survive the potential of 40 kt winds every afternoon (can you button up, do you have a generator and A/C or at least a fan, what about your awning). The wind can last 4 hours and the temps will be in the mid-90s. It's a dry heat, but you need some kind of breeze...

2. Food for a week--ice for a week. Make your 7-day cooler early. See info on the Burning Man site for how to.

3. See if you can make it 7 days without dumping gray water, or figure out how to evaporate it. This was difficult.

4. If you're a first timer, think seriously about NOT planning on being there 7 days. It's really the best advice I got. I showed up Wednesday and departed Sunday. This year I plan on being there Monday and leaving Saturday, before the burn. In 2007 the population went from 40,000-odd during the week to 60,000-odd for the weekend. It was interesting to see the crowds at night on Friday-Saturday, but the "quiet" of the earlier part of the week was nice. Besides, the crowd seems to get younger as the week wears on (no offense, of course, but the decibels seem to go up proportionately). On the other hand, the art on the playa increases each day...

5. Decide what "participation" means for you and be ready--costumes, service, art, lights. It doesn't have to be much.

6. Find another Airstreamer (or two). You'll find that you spend half or more of your time in "camp" just talking and sharing food and drink. Emphsis on the sharing.

7. Bring a bicycle.

8. Don't leave your camp if you can't navigate. You will have to depend on the generosity of others, of which there is plenty, but you'll probably want to find your own bed eventually.

Dr. Quark
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #27
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Looks like a great time to express yourself, I wish I could go, have a great time!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just bought two tickets. Now I need to start planning! I guess it is the first step any way. We waited from 1:30 to 6:30 started about #7500 in line!