Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #1

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Worthington tanks with gauge guts

Since we are a 'knowledge sharing' group, here's the innerds of a Worthington tank readout gauge.

My 40 lb tanks needed new opd valves and as bad as I hated to loose the level sensor that was part of one of them, they had to go. The gauge was mounted on top of the valve and hooks to the interior panel for a neat way of knowing how much propane was left (or so I thought).

What's inside kinda surprised me. A really cute level sensor that has a float, turns a magnetic rod that twists and moves the external gauge. The only problem is where the float IS.

Basically the float can only start moving down once the level is below 1/2 a tank.

Reminds me of an old chevy I had, the thing would go forever on the first 1/2 a tank but the 2nd 1/2 was only good for a few miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010115.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	91439   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010113.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	91440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010114.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	91441  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Since we are a 'knowledge sharing' group, here's the innerds of a Worthington tank readout gauge.

My 40 lb tanks needed new opd valves and as bad as I hated to loose the level sensor that was part of one of them, they had to go. The gauge was mounted on top of the valve and hooks to the interior panel for a neat way of knowing how much propane was left (or so I thought).

What's inside kinda surprised me. A really cute level sensor that has a float, turns a magnetic rod that twists and moves the external gauge. The only problem is where the float IS.

Basically the float can only start moving down once the level is below 1/2 a tank.

Reminds me of an old chevy I had, the thing would go forever on the first 1/2 a tank but the 2nd 1/2 was only good for a few miles.
That was good engineering.

The gauges told you when the tank was half empty, instead of half full.

But there are strip gauges that you can use, ......well sort of.

After you have been using a little LPG, which changes the internal temperature of the liquid, you throw some hot water on the strip gauge. You look at the strip, for the color change, and that tells you how much LPG you have left...........as well as how much is gone.

They are cheap and actually, work pretty good.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You could always add one of these gauges. Not original but at least some type of indication before the tank runs empty....

The Original GasWatch | Propane Gauges | Propane Level Indicator | Propane Tank Gauge | Gas Gauge | Gas Grill Gauge | > propane gauge, propane tank gauge, grill gauge, grilling gadget
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
You could always add one of these gauges. Not original but at least some type of indication before the tank runs empty....

The Original GasWatch | Propane Gauges | Propane Level Indicator | Propane Tank Gauge | Gas Gauge | Gas Grill Gauge | > propane gauge, propane tank gauge, grill gauge, grilling gadget
Gary.

I tried a couple of those, and they are not worth a hoot.

All they do is measure pressure.

Both of mine failed within a couple of months, and would show nothing.

That's not a good thing for the BBQ grill.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Use a bathroom scale. You'll get a very exact feel for amount of propane, provided your scale is reasonably accurate. Of course, you have to dismount your cylinder in order to do it.

And, of course, if you lift propane cylinders with varying amounts about a gazillion times, you don't even need a scale to tell more or less what's left inside. (I still use the scale to fill, though.)

Lynn
Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I just dump a pot of hot water onto the side of the tank and then feel for the cold spot where the propane starts. The metal will be warm where there is air in the tank.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
_

. , .
good info hiho!

it looks like this design could be easily adjusted for ALL size tanks and horizontal tanks too.

i wonder what they are using on the newer tanks?

the 40s on my trayla have round analog tank gauges AND electrically connected indoor reads.

but the first 1/4 tank still seems to last longer than the last 1/4.

did you contact worthington for replacement options?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
2air'
i wonder what they are using on the newer tanks?
The ones like yours with a separate tap for the gauge - the gauge has it's own float.

I just snagged a set of those from an 06 for a very good price - can't use the inside wiring but the gauge is a good addition - I hoped. Have you found it to be reasonably accurate at all....

I don't see anything on Worthington's site about gauges at all for consumer products.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
...Have you found it to be reasonably accurate at all....

I don't see anything on Worthington's site about gauges at all for consumer products.
yeah i scanned the W' website and struck out too.

the tank mounted gauge and wired connection are consistent with each other over the long term

and EMPTY/FULL are accurate

the 1st quarter of a full tank seems to last longer than the last quarter, every tank full and in all seasons.

and i always open the 2nd tank about that time the primary hits 1/4.

so they are pretty reliable (especially compared to the holding tank sensors)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have a second tank with a gauge bung welded to the top, not as a part of the valve like this one, it still has the gauge functional after the opd retro. I also saw the welded bung style available on the worthington site, no option for an opd/valve/gauge. The valve in the photo was made in italy.

I plan on using the non-gauge tank as the primary and when I see the gauge drop, I know that the change over regulator has swapped. Time to refill.

It's kinda hard to use the hot water method with the tanks in a cover.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I have no cover for mine, so I hadn't thought of that.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Wink

I find that Honey Brown works better than Sam Adams....