Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
which way does this black toggle switch point?

Just got my 2010 20' Flying Cloud! We are thrilled. Problem: When I stand in front of the trailer, facing it, directly looking down into the "box" that holds the two 30lb gas tanks, I see the "toggle" switch in the middle, between the tanks. If I open the left tank, on the door side of the trailer, and leave the other tank closed, do I turn the black toggle itself to the far left, toward the left tank? Or, do I turn it toward the right tank, so that the short end of the toggle (the pointer end) faces left? I turned on the right hand tank all weekend and had gas, even though the black toggle was all the way over, turned left, and the left hand tank was closed. What's up?
Buying a 2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 6.4 diesel this weekend, with integrated trailer brake. I heard this is a problem for GM but not for Ford, with the Airstream. Right? No issues with the IBC for Airstream brakes?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Generally a regulator that has a selection switch on it you point the switch to the tank that is on line and will empty first. But in order for the selection switch to function as designed the other tank has to also be open. When the first tank empties the regulator will automatically switch to the second tank.

Most automatic regulators will also have a Flag Indicator built into it that will pop up when the switch has taken place. This allows you to camp for a significant period of time without looking at the tanks ever few days.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
This is not a regulator. It is simply a indicator of which tank you're using - the large end should point to that tank. Beyond that it has no use - at least that I can find.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
On my unit it is more than an indicator, it also is a valve that allows propane to feed into the trailer from whatever tank it is "pointing" to. The top of the lever points to the tank in use. I always keep the other tank closed. Thus, when a tank runs dry, I move the lever to the other tank and begin thinking about getting more propane somewhere. This keeps me from running out entirely which is not good in cold weather.

John
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
hmmm, well I don't know if this switch is simply a directional reminder, or, if it has some functional purpose of allowing gas to flow from the tank to which it is pointing I guess I will call my trusty airstream guys and see what they have to say. I can't find any information in the four inches of manuals they gave me, that's for sure. Anyway, thank you, I appreciate the comments!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Why not just test it? Open one tank, point the switch to that tank, leave the other one closed and try to light the stove.

John
Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Well, that "test" you mention is what started my whole question. I opened the tank on the opposite side of the trailer from the door side, and I had gas all weekend with no problem. When we packed up to leave, I noticed that the toggle switch on top of the tanks (between them, attached to a metal bracket that holds both in place) was "pointing" at the other, closed tank. Anyway, I will do some further testing this weekend and see what I can discover.
Learning about the "Caboose" is really neat......we have spent hours reading and poking around in the trailer, even when she is just parked at home
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Why not just test it? Open one tank, point the switch to that tank, leave the other one closed and try to light the stove.

John
This is the opposite of how the switch functions. The pointer on the switch want to be pointing to the tank that is going empty. That way the indicator shows the tank is empty and has switched to the full tank.

The test should be Close the tank that the switch is point to and then light the stove. The stove should go out in a minute or so as the pressure in the line drops. The regulator/switch should not indicate an empty tank on the side it s pointing towards.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote