Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Woodinville , Washington
Red face Where'd the propane go during winter storage?

We have just discovered both propane tanks are empty after winter storage. Trying to figure out what happened.

My husband thinks he could have left the valves open. If so, would the propane leak out? Or does that mean there is an actual leak somewhere (we've already had a leak repaired a couple times by airstream).

Is it possible someone stole our propane? Can propane be stolen from the tanks or would they simply swap our full ones for empties?

Thanks for ideas and info! Just want to be safe.

My Modern Quilt Shop
lisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Theft is a possibility, but I'd have it pressure tested. You want to know.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's unlikely that a thief would replace the full bottles with empty ones in some futile effort to delay discovery and it's also unlikely that someone deliberately drained your bottles into some other container so I'm thinking that either the bottles were empty at the end of last season, or you have a leak someplace in your LP system. In either case, I would get a pressure test of your entire LP system done before you refill the LP bottles.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A very small leak will, over the winter, empty the tank(s). Or a pilot light left on like the one in the stove oven. I would guess something like that rather than anyone substituting your tanks, full for empty.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Barring theft, they should not lose any measurable amount. I leave my bottles open for months at a time without loss. There's a small leak somewhere.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Turn on a full tank. The change over valve indicator should turn green. Light the stove to make sure the line is filled with propane. Shut the stove off. The system is now under pressure. Close the valve on the propane tank. See how long the change-over flag stays green. Several days, no big problem. A few minutes, you have a detectable leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You have a leak. Recommend you have the system leak checked. Potentially a dangerous situation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Check your rubber hoses where they connect to the tanks, maybe not tight on the tanks
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yup. A leak I bet. Did you have both tanks turned on? With a new Aas, I would make sure that it passes a leak test! Not only is propane explosive, it also will damage lungs when inhaled in relatively low concentrations!

Edit: is it possible either the water heater or fridge were left "on" and used up the propane?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
No doubt a small leak. The hoses leading from the bottles would be the first place to check.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Get a propane leak detector for inside the unit! Older units did not have them. propane is heavier than ambient atmosphere and will stay at floor level. Static or electrical spark will allow new exit points in your camper! ie., explosion
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You can at least do a soap test on fittings outside the trailer. Make up a solution of dish detergent in a spray bottle; about 1 teaspoon of detergent to 10 ounces of water should give you a good solution. Spray the fittings including the attachments to the bottles and the auto change over unit. Soak everything real good and wait. Big leaks are obvious right from the start. Small leaks show up as fine white bubbles that take time to show up over 5 minutes or so.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Pilot lights
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Scituate , Massachusetts
Losing LP?

We could not figure out where the LP leak was; it took 3 years of smelling & not smelling LP nearby the refrigerator access panel.

Finally, one day I wiggled the copper tubing feeding the refrigerator from under the compartment below the refrigerator and the pipe broke away in my hand.

The tubing was snaked over the wheel well and under the refrigerator but was kinked badly and thus broke easily when I wiggled it.

But, had I left the LP on while in storage, it most certainly would have depleted the supply.

We were lucky to find a solution to this problem....it took a while!

Rich