Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
here is a picture that shows the slope of the compartment I mentioned. this is why i suggest getting new 30 lb tanks and not new 40 lb tanks. the 30 lb tanks are not as long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slope.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	86955  
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Looks like a good plan Redstart. You are right about the vertical tanks not being a problem. I called Weld-Tech to check on the status and after looking at the tank said it wouldn't be an issue as it is just the valve swap that is required.

Keep us posted on your progress (sometimes Canadian laws are a little too much but after that incident in toronto last year I guess it is politically correct to make hard laws for anything to do with propane).

Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
That tank looks like a fork lift tank.Does it draw liquid like is used on a auto engine or draw gas like used for you stove or BBQ.I have been told the draw tube inside the tanks are differant.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Haha... no idea!!

For me though, it's not a valve issue anymore (in spite of the title of my thread). I got new tanks, just need to make them fit. This weekend's project. Wish me luck!

On edit: hmm...maybe i do know the answer to your question!! the tanks connect up and function in the same way as the old ones, which are probably just like the ones on your squarestream I'm guessing? The only difference is there is an OPD valve on my new tanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
just wanted to add one thing: i know in my stream of consciousness ramblings of trying to figure this problem out i have tossed out the idea of modifying the feet on the tanks but of course it's a VERY VERY bad idea, ignore me, erase it from memory. you could compromise the integrity of the tank.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
got the info from worthington on the width of the feet for the horizontal aluminum tanks if anyone is interested - they are the same size as the steel tanks, about 3 inches at the front and about 6 inches for the back foot.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
roadblock

so that cradle in the airstream storage compartment is welded in good, it ain't coming out.

Took off the rollers at the front of the compartment, and the tank will slide in but it won't sit properly b/c of the back foot bracket on the tank. Also, I don't see how the back brace will fit on with that damn foot bracket!! again!

Not sure what to do... i'll call the propane gas association of canada on monday and ask how they feel about removal of the foot bracket. I can't see how the tank will safely fit otherwise! Maybe I can get an "eqiuvalent level of safety" permit... yes there is such a thing!

sigh....
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #48
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Um, now, just a suggestion, but why not post a bunch of photos that show what you are attempting to do?

You never know, some random synapse may fire in a reader's mind, and your needed answer could magically appear...

Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
haha i think you and i might be the only ones reading this thread!

but yeah, pics are posted on page 3....

here is a pic of the back foot which i think has to either come off totally or be trimmed...but i am going to check regulations first etc.

p.s. the foot is welded to the stand, not the tank itself so...hmm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backfoot.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	87112  
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #50
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Oops, sorry. I have been following your progress (probably becasue the idea of a horizontal tank was completely new to me), and the fact that I forgot the pics in this short a time period is no big surprise to me.

Not sure from the pictures, butI suppose the old brackets are welded to something that is super solid, such as the TT's frame..?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
yes, the cradle in the propane storage compartment is welded to the frame. i don't want to mess with it!!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Haha... no idea!!

For me though, it's not a valve issue anymore (in spite of the title of my thread). I got new tanks, just need to make them fit. This weekend's project. Wish me luck!

On edit: hmm...maybe i do know the answer to your question!! the tanks connect up and function in the same way as the old ones, which are probably just like the ones on your squarestream I'm guessing? The only difference is there is an OPD valve on my new tanks.
You tanks are not hooked up like my Squarestream.
I can not tell from the photos but are you SURE that your new cylinder are consumer propanr cylinders for VAPOR SERVICE.ie BBQ, STOVE.
You DO NOT want industrial cylinders that are LIQUID SERVICE.ie FORK LIFTS AND CAR ENGINES.
Since I do not know what you have in Canada, I am not sure but many new horizontal cylinder here are LIQUID SERVES and not VAPOR SERVICE like what you need in your trailer.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
hi jimmini!

thanks for the concern. these are the tanks that are sold by can am rv as the replacements for our aluminum horizontal tanks - i thought you'd have those original horizontals in the squarestream too! my compartment looks like the one in your picture.

i would think can am would know what they are doing but... just to be sure... i'll call the propane supplier that sells them to can am and double check!

here is a pic of the new horizontal tanks with specs (on an American RV site). i think what makes you think it is a forklift tank is the cage and feet on it. that is just how they make all new horizontals now. But i will defo enquire about it!

https://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPag...2-118fd475d48e
Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
hi jimmini!

thanks for the concern. these are the tanks that are sold by can am rv as the replacements for our aluminum horizontal tanks - i thought you'd have those original horizontals in the squarestream too! my compartment looks like the one in your picture.

i would think can am would know what they are doing but... just to be sure... i'll call the propane supplier that sells them to can am and double check!

here is a pic of the new horizontal tanks with specs (on an American RV site). i think what makes you think it is a forklift tank is the cage and feet on it. that is just how they make all new horizontals now. But i will defo enquire about it!

https://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPag...2-118fd475d48e

Cam Am sure should know but your having so much trouble that I did not want you to have a suprise after all that work and turn it on and you got liquid instead of vapor.
Like All us yanks all I know about Canada is my wife is one.
It would almost be easer to move to the US and keep your old cylinders than all you have been thru.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
hi jimmini

your concern is justified and i thank you for it - i am still going to triple check tomorrow! it's also good to post the info in this thread. i found this thread on how dangerous using the wrong tank is - for anyone interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f480...eam-44308.html

And Yes i am having a hard time and it is stressing me out!! the reason i am having a hard time is that i am trying to do everything by the book! i know the easy route is to cut the foot off the tank and be done with it. You guys have the exemption for horizontals b/c of this exact problem. I am hoping that this "equivalent level of safety" permit i have discovered in canada will let me cut off the foot bracket.

Ciao!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Good news!!!

Here is the word from the experts themselves on using these new horizontal propane tanks in Canada!!! **Make sure you buy an RV rated tank and NOT a forklift tank**

This morning I called the Propane Association of Canada. I talked to Bill Egbert, the general manager. His toll free number is

Toll-free 1-877-784-4636

He said that you ARE allowed to remove the feet on these horizontal tanks as long as you take them to an rv service shop that is certified to work with propane tanks. The person working on the tanks has to know how to remove the feet without compromising the integrity of the tank. This should be easy b/c the feet are attached to the stand and collar of the tank, not the tank itself. Obviously, the tank has to be empty to be modified.

Mr Egbert was very very helpful, I recommend calling him if anyone has any questions. He understands that every rv is different!

Hope that this thread will help at least one person in the future.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
I'm glad to hear that things look like they are working out for you. I was going to suggest cutting the feet but was reluctant to for your safety. Personally, I would modify the AS rather than the tank (so any tanks would probably work).

Good Luck!
Alex
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
astewart, that was my thinking exactly at first - modify the airstream...

...but when i realized the magnitude of the job, cutting off part of the cradle that is welded to the trailer frame and that it would have to be cut while inside the storage compartment which isn't even a foot tall...and that the back brace won't fit on properly with the tank with that foot on it, so you'd only have the front brace securing the tank in place...

...then i looked at the foot on the tank and it is connected to the base stand of the tank, not the tank itself, with only two tiny weld points about the size of a pea each...

...i decided it is better to cut off the foot so that I can carry these tanks the way they were meant to be carried in the airstream, with the cradle intact and both braces securing the tanks... and now that i've found out it is allowed by the propane association of canada i feel a little safer about it but you can bet i will be inspecting my tanks very carefully!!

i did confirm the tanks i bought are "vapour service" tanks which is the correct kind for rv use. phew. the propane supplier told me the rv tanks and the forklift tanks do indeed look very similar, so make sure you order "vapour service" and not liquid service (i.e. forklift tanks).

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Redstart - I haven't seen the insides for the horizontal tank mountings but based on the homework you have done, I believe you are making the best call. The vapour/liquid issue is what almost caused me to buy new tanks as the counter guy at Weld-tech assumed it was a liquid tank for a forklift (and there is an issue around "dip tubes").

Anyway, sound like we may both be o.k. on this .
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #60
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yay!

Way ta go, Red! We knew you could do it!