Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
This is a pretty complex topic, even starting from the US end, where regulations are specific to states (all 50 of them). At least, they are generally all based at some level or another on the same book, namely, NFPA 58, a fairly expensive and densely written manual from the National Fire Protection Association.

For Canada, regulation is different from the codes in NFPA 58, so it's hard to tell what to do based on US experience. And it's hard to tell if regulation is specific to provinces or nation-wide.

Lynn

Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
ok here is a dumb question. The collar of my tank has the date 7 -97.

The valve itself has two dates on it, 01 and 97. Is that Jan 97 or does it mean the PO's (from Michigan) had it re-inspected in 2001 and a fresh date stamped? Sorry the pics are blurry.

Whatever the case, I get refused by propane fillers but it would be interesting to know...

I've emailed the Propane Association of Canada - we'll see if I can get an explanation of the regulations from them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021sm.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	84806   Click image for larger version

Name:	027sm.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	84807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	028sm.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	84808  

Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
This is a pretty complex topic, even starting from the US end, where regulations are specific to states (all 50 of them). At least, they are generally all based at some level or another on the same book, namely, NFPA 58, a fairly expensive and densely written manual from the National Fire Protection Association.

For Canada, regulation is different from the codes in NFPA 58, so it's hard to tell what to do based on US experience. And it's hard to tell if regulation is specific to provinces or nation-wide.

Lynn
Yes, so true! In Canada the regulations also vary by jurisdiction.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
redstart, the bottom numbers in the first photo look like "7 - 97" to me which I would think meant July, 1997. Since the "7" isn't crossed, maybe it's a "1".

Gene
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
very interesting shacksman, thanks - did they stamp the date right into the metal? our current date says 7 - 97. I might look for a propane dealer in detroit or buffalo (can't get to NY anytime soon), although I'd hate to get it done and have a fill refused here.

The specific details of the Ontario rules are very difficult to access and I suspect that most dealers just say it can't be done out of not knowing otherwise. I actually found one information document from the TSSA website that looked promising, but you had to BUY it for $100!!! Very frustrating!

My aluminum horizontals are in very good shape and it sure would be nice to keep them though!

The new dates are stamped under the old date. On yours the 7 97 is the date they were new July 1997.
I had tanks done just south of Buffalo on Hwy 219 and also in Burlington, Vermont and they have been filled many times here and in the U.S.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Thanks everyone for encouraging me to dig a little deeper and save my Worthington tanks. I found that the exact same tanks are still for sale on the Worthington web site. The only info I don't see is the dip tube length (should be 7.0).

So, I now doubt all of the info I posted above - probably new valves ARE available, and I am doubting whether I actually need them!! I am going to investigate further and will let you know what I find out.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
The final word on these tanks for Canadians

Hello everyone,

I talked to an expert and the final word is, these tanks are not usable in Canada.

The OPD valve requirements are an international regulation. In the United States there is an exemption for horizontal tanks made before October 1998. My tanks are of this type. However, in Canada there is NO exemption and it is illegal to re-qualify these tanks. It is even technically illegal to refill tanks like this that have been re-qualified in the United States.

So now my only decision is, aluminum or steel, 30 lb or 40 lb. Price may drive this decision, but it would be nice to have aluminum wouldn't it...

Thanks everyone for your input on this topic!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
If this is true I would just replace 1 tank for filling to the Canadian rule and keep 1 for filling in the U.S.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ah, if you have to get rid of the tanks, then don't junk them. THey can be revalved in the US, and I'm sure that there are enough folks here who would love to have them.

Lynn
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Hello everyone,

I talked to an expert and the final word is, these tanks are not usable in Canada.

The OPD valve requirements are an international regulation. In the United States there is an exemption for horizontal tanks made before October 1998. My tanks are of this type. However, in Canada there is NO exemption and it is illegal to re-qualify these tanks. It is even technically illegal to refill tanks like this that have been re-qualified in the United States.

So now my only decision is, aluminum or steel, 30 lb or 40 lb. Price may drive this decision, but it would be nice to have aluminum wouldn't it...

Thanks everyone for your input on this topic!

I figured that's where you would wind up, but I knew you had to find the answer yourself.

Well, as to new ones, it amazes me how quickly we can go through 2 X 30 lbs of gas, and so far we haven't travelled at all (we're on shore power, electric fridge, we've only used the furnace a couple of times at night). If I was to buy again, it would definitely be larger ones.

Also, aluminum certainly matches an AS trailer better, and no worries about it rusting with time: ours are original to the TT, which as you can see is 35 years old, and are showing no signs of any deterioration.

On the other hand, they are a lot pricier than painted steel...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
well, for any canadians wondering about aluminum, west marine (westmarine.ca) is the canadian supplier for worthington tanks and i was quoted between $800 and $1000 PER TANK for 30 or 40 lb-ers. Holy moly. Just curious - what do they put in new airstreams these days?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
According to Worthington's website, the authorized dealer in Canada is Diversco Supply. And according to Diversco's site, there are several installations around the country. Might want to try them on prices. (Here in the US, there is TREMENDOUS fluctuation on prices of propane cylinders.)

Lynn

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Thanks Lynn - and yup I called Diversco but they wouldn't give me a price b/c they only sell to dealers and not to general plebs like me. Haha.

Also, in Canada, i find that companies just keep the prices HIGH and ignore the fluctuating US equivalents .

I've ordered the 30 lb steel suckers.

If anyone in the US wants these 40 lb aluminum horizontal Worthingtons sans OPD valves, they are free to a good home but you must pick them up in London, Ontario. Not going to sell them b/c i don't want to even TRY to ship them and also because they need to be re-certified in the US - while I believe there is nothing wrong with them and they work fine, I can't guarantee it.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
800-1,000 bucks per tank is bogus: I see them on the US TT parts sites at ~$350 per, for the 30 pounder.