Old 09-08-2003, 08:38 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If anyone decides to do anything with an aluminum propane tank, such as cut it in half for use as a cooker, make sure you do this first:

Remove the valve from the top of the tank and fill it with water for 24 hours. This will get the residual propane out of the tank. This is what they do to all propane tanks before they scrap them. To be extra safe you may want to do this twice.

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Don't cut them in half. You could sell them for half their worth and buy a nice grill. Steel maybe aluminum never.

1976 Soveriegn 31'
F250 Turbo 7.3L Diesel
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Argh!!! Don't cut them up! If I'd known there were a spare pair of alloys bottles afoot, I would have scooped them up.
We just got our "new" 30 lbs bottles in and besides the initial cost it was pricey to get them filled.
I had to pay a "purge fee for both", then a fill fee of course, and 24 inches of hose to connect regulator with the gas line....$60.00
Our Globetrotter came with 20 pounders (steel), I settled for new 30 pounders (aluminum), would rather have had 40 lb new aluminum for the extra capacity, but couldn't justify spending more. You never know when the extra gas might come in handy.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:22 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Wait a minute here...

Did you know that 40# tanks don't have to be converted? Yep, 40# and up are not on the OPD list, unless Aluminum is a factor, which I dought.

Did you know that a 30# tank mounted horizontally does not have to be converted? Yep, true too.

Check the laws and keep this fool who invented OPD scrounging for Yacht gas.

Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
Rest Easy - No Cutting in Half

No way. Aluminum is not desirable for brewing beer. A good quality stainless steel pot is the way to go and that I have.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
OPD valve installed

I had one original valve with gauge and electrical sender on a 40# Worthington aluminum tank. The other tank had a Sherwood OPD valve that had already been installed by the PO. I dropped the tank off at a Suburban Propane dealer and he installed the new OPD valve after waiting several weeks for it to come in. Cost was $24.95 plus tax and that included recertification. The 40# aluminum tank looked a little taller than the 40# steel and that is why the dip tube is a little longer than those for the steel.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
OPD and 40 lb. Tanks

Everything I've researched says 40 lb. DOT tanks must have OPD valves. The proof will be in the pudding. When I take them in to be filled, the filler will certainly let me know.

Thanks for your input. $24.95 seems very reasonable.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
yes 40 lb tanks do need OPD. The rule states "40 lb or less" not 'less than 40 lb.' The intent is safety in portable tanks used in RV's and outdoor appliances.

DO NOT UNER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRUST A VENDOR! Especially the fill up guys. It toook me several months to get a local propane house straight because even his distributor was giving him bad information. He finally got hold of the mfg for the straight scoop.

The Dip Tube length is usually noted on the collar of the tank (DT=xx) and you need to make sure you get the proper one (valves also have their dip tube length stamped on them)

WBCCI had a source for a good price for the OPD valves for aluminum tanks. But it is a good idea to get a propane dealer to install them as they often have special tools for the valves (only need a wrench but can be hard to get at). They can also re-certify the tank for another 5 years.

Aluminum tanks are usually well worth new OPD valves although you will loose any level meter you may have had in the old one.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Grow Legs..!!!...

Hi Fun-Lovin...
An I thought Fla: was a nice, I once planted 15 minature fir trees in my front yard, almost broke my mornin 7 had GONE..." GROWN LEGS ", no doubt, I guess it is a world-wide thing...

Davydd, U sure those R gastanks...look a little like MILK CHURNS 2 me...if I manage 2 find any of my pairs of lost glasses, I'll b able 2 get a better look at ' Idea, if U put 2 packs of BUD in the rear of the unit, U will have balance, as th gas goes down, drink a bud...or three...but leave the 4 bricks under the empty bud tins...all's well in the end...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:12 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Source for Valves :
Tool for removing and installing valves:

jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote