Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
Jax , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72
Water heater won't shut off

Heading out for a beachfront campsite for memorial day weekend, still need to fix or maybe replace my water heater.
It is a 6 gal EI Atwood,in my '93 Excella, it sparks and comes on, kind of, the flame is very weak (it got us by for the last trip) but I had to shut off the gas supply every time, because it would not shut off- you can hear it shut down but the flame is still there (not a pilot it's EI)
I think the solenoid is hanging up,?? You can feel it click, I was connecting it manually, I lightly rapped on it with a small hammer, no luck, did it while it was coming on too. All connections seem to be good, ignitor and thermos seem to be working.
I was going to replace the solenoid valve, but it's $90, so I want to get some other ideas before I waste my money. Thought about trying to take the valve apart and clean it first, if that is possible??
__________________

__________________
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
Jax , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72
Stove and grill worked fine, so I don't think its a supply problem??
__________________

__________________
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Silver Goose's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 955
Depending on model, the gas valve should have 1 or 2 red wires going to it and maybe a green ground wire. The red wire(s) should connect to a thermostat switch and then from this switch to the control board. I would try cleaning and reseating these connections. I believe that this valve should open or close fully in the presence or absence of voltage and may have a failsafe mode where it remains fully closed for safety reasons. An obstruction in the gas supply or inadequate supply could account for the low flame, but in combination with the symptom that the valve doesn't close makes me believe the valve is faulty and should be considered a serious condition as this would allow the the WH to continue to heat up to the point where it would test the temperature pressure relief valve. You really don't want to use this WH until the problem has been resolved.

Try this, turn on the WH then once you have a flame, disconnect the red wire from the thermal switch. This should cause the valve to close immediately. If not, I would agree the valve is the problem. If it does close, then the control board needs further scrutiny along with resolving the low flame issue.

I really doubt that the valve is serviceable, likely a liability issue.... You may want to evaluate the age and overall condition of the WH. If you believe a part replacement will offer several more years of service, it is probably a worthwhile fix.
__________________
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
Jax , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72
I agree i have disconnected the valve power and it doesn't shut off, still a weak flame, that explains the temp fuse blowing (the one that looks like a resistor) that shows why you shouldn't bypass it! i think I'l replace the valve, if that's not it I will have a possible back up for the next WH- spend $100 trying not to spend $400 then you've spent $500.
__________________
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
tkowalyk's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 397
Images: 11
I replaced my Solenoid Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoldstuff View Post
Heading out for a beachfront campsite for memorial day weekend, still need to fix or maybe replace my water heater.
It is a 6 gal EI Atwood,in my '93 Excella, it sparks and comes on, kind of, the flame is very weak (it got us by for the last trip) but I had to shut off the gas supply every time, because it would not shut off- you can hear it shut down but the flame is still there (not a pilot it's EI)
I think the solenoid is hanging up,?? You can feel it click, I was connecting it manually, I lightly rapped on it with a small hammer, no luck, did it while it was coming on too. All connections seem to be good, ignitor and thermos seem to be working.
I was going to replace the solenoid valve, but it's $90, so I want to get some other ideas before I waste my money. Thought about trying to take the valve apart and clean it first, if that is possible??
I replaced my solenoid valve on my previous AS -- it was pretty straightforward, and took less than an hour.

Here is the link to that thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ent-51524.html

Good Luck -- it is pretty easy.

PS the link to the Part on Ebay is no longer valid. Here is the part number I used

Atwood RV Water Heater Gas Valve DSI 93870
__________________
Tom & Lori

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
1993 32' Excella
Jax , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
I replaced my solenoid valve on my previous AS -- it was pretty straightforward, and took less than an hour.

Here is the link to that thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ent-51524.html

Good Luck -- it is pretty easy.

PS the link to the Part on Ebay is no longer valid. Here is the part number I used

Atwood RV Water Heater Gas Valve DSI 93870
Did your heater have the same symptoms? not cutting off-low flame?
thanks
__________________
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
tkowalyk's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 397
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoldstuff View Post

Did your heater have the same symptoms? not cutting off-low flame?
thanks
Flame coming out before main burner and low flame.
__________________

__________________
Tom & Lori

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.