Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Water heater - pilot light wont light

I have a 71 Excella. I cannot get the original Bowen Water heater pilot light to light. I just purchase a new pilot light assembly and replaced it but that still didnt help. I've read some of the other forums but nothing seems to work. Here are some details:

- I removed the dometic propane fridge and capped off the propane line with a threaded cap.
- In my model, the water heater is in the rear
- Ironically, I got my Magic Chef oven to light before but I cant remember what I did to get it to light and test it (feel free to chime in on this one).

Any other suggestions??
africaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Its a Model G10B by the way
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It may take a long time to get propane to the rear water heater. Try cracking the fitting for a minute to get the air out of the line, then try the pilot again.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
It may take a long time to get propane to the rear water heater. Try cracking the fitting for a minute to get the air out of the line, then try the pilot again.
How long should I let it bleed out? I opened it all the way and didnt hear any hissing noise, or smell propane (but dont trust the latter - my smelling is not the greatest). Also, I noticed a crack in the fitting as well. Is that a problem?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You should here some hissing, whether it's air or propane. It took a good 3 mins of holding down the pilot bottom on mine when I hooked it up. But I could barely hear air coming out, but I could hear it. If you don't hear anything you need to check your line. And a cracked fitting is a very bad thing.
Put soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the fittings. If it bubbles then you have a leak.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
most options covered here ...... did your new assembly include a replacement thermocoupler line?? If it is bad you will not light. I had to replace the Bowen Control Unit in one Airstream.

Cheerz
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is a gas shut off valve on most AS products for each appliance, usually right below the unit itself, where the gas goes up through the floor. Did you check that yours is on? And fix the cracked fitting. That is dangerous.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
There is a gas shut off valve on most AS products for each appliance, usually right below the unit itself, where the gas goes up through the floor. Did you check that yours is on? And fix the cracked fitting. That is dangerous.
Well that was simple.. I looked under the trailer and the shutoff valve was in the off position. I know understand why computer tech support asks if you have the power plugged in!

I can now get it to light while in the pilot positon but when I left off of the red button the flame starts to die. Do I just need to hold it longer? What about changing the pilot light adjustment? My flame is covering the thermocouple and is orange in color at the top.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Oh and once I get this thing lit, do I need to have water in my tank to heat or does the city water I have hooked up run through the water heater tank first?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You should have water in the tank before you lite the heater, the city water should go through the heater if it is not bypassed for winterizing. To check for water in the water heater you can open the overpressure valve to make sure water comes out.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You definitely need water in the tank and can open any hot water faucet until you don't get air out of it to make sure the tank is full. Heating an empty tank can damage it.

Clean any electrical connections to remove any corrosion on them—you probably won't see it, but it may be there.

If the thermocouple doesn't open the main gas valve it is probably bad. There could be air in the line and that's why the pilot goes out, but if you've tried this for many minutes and the flame dies after you release the button, the thermocouple is next to look at. To move propane through the system and get the air bubbles out, turn the stove burners on and that should help purge the line. Do the furnace and fridge work? Thermocouples are cheap and replacing it now can't hurt especially if it is old. Take it out and try to match it at a hardware store. While you are there, take the cracked fitting and get a replacement.

Unless you can't smell anything at all, the odorant in propane is pretty hard to miss. Very, very small leaks aren't as easy to detect and you can use soapy water to check them. On an old system, it is a good idea to check every propane fitting on the trailer. I had some leaks on the a new one and the chance of leaks never go away.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by africaroots

Well that was simple.. I looked under the trailer and the shutoff valve was in the off position. I know understand why computer tech support asks if you have the power plugged in!

I can now get it to light while in the pilot positon but when I left off of the red button the flame starts to die. Do I just need to hold it longer? What about changing the pilot light adjustment? My flame is covering the thermocouple and is orange in color at the top.

Thanks
Yep I took mine out when I just redid the trailer. Mostly because the line had a pinch in it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You should have water in the tank before you lite the heater, the city water should go through the heater if it is not bypassed for winterizing. To check for water in the water heater you can open the overpressure valve to make sure water comes out.
which valve is the overpressure valve?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The pressure relief valve has something that looks like a lever on the top of the valve. On ours it is on the top right. Any home water heater has the same valve, usually right on the top of the water heater. You lift up the lever and water comes out of the drain spigot. If the pressure has built up enough, that water is scalding. The relief valve opens automatically at high temps—around 210˚.

It should be tested periodically to make sure it is not clogged and water comes out—best to do when the water is cold in the heater and the system is pressurized.

I have seen recommendations that the valve should be replaced as a safety measure after a period of time, but I can't remember how long that is. If the water heater hasn't been used for a while, the valve seal may not have seated properly and leak a bit, but that should stop once it is wet for a while.

Gene
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
You should here some hissing, whether it's air or propane. It took a good 3 mins of holding down the pilot bottom on mine when I hooked it up. But I could barely hear air coming out, but I could hear it. If you don't hear anything you need to check your line. And a cracked fitting is a very bad thing.
Put soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the fittings. If it bubbles then you have a leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
You definitely need water in the tank and can open any hot water faucet until you don't get air out of it to make sure the tank is full. Heating an empty tank can damage it.

Clean any electrical connections to remove any corrosion on them—you probably won't see it, but it may be there.

If the thermocouple doesn't open the main gas valve it is probably bad. There could be air in the line and that's why the pilot goes out, but if you've tried this for many minutes and the flame dies after you release the button, the thermocouple is next to look at. To move propane through the system and get the air bubbles out, turn the stove burners on and that should help purge the line. Do the furnace and fridge work? Thermocouples are cheap and replacing it now can't hurt especially if it is old. Take it out and try to match it at a hardware store. While you are there, take the cracked fitting and get a replacement.

Unless you can't smell anything at all, the odorant in propane is pretty hard to miss. Very, very small leaks aren't as easy to detect and you can use soapy water to check them. On an old system, it is a good idea to check every propane fitting on the trailer. I had some leaks on the a new one and the chance of leaks never go away.

Gene
ok I did the soapy water test and no bubbles (I cracked open the fitting and the bubbles appeared so I think I have eliminated a leak). I checked the rest of the line under the trailer as well.

Attached are some pictures showing the flame that is lit when I am holding down the pilot light and the whole unit. Notice the last picture shows what I think is the thermocouple. Is the crack on the top a problem? I noticed this line is hot after I have held the pilot light for awhile (that's a good thing right).

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater_wholeunit_Airstream.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	164982   Click image for larger version

Name:	flame_Airstream.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	164983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	crack_thermocouple_Airstream.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	164984  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
The pressure relief valve has something that looks like a lever on the top of the valve. On ours it is on the top right. Any home water heater has the same valve, usually right on the top of the water heater. You lift up the lever and water comes out of the drain spigot. If the pressure has built up enough, that water is scalding. The relief valve opens automatically at high temps—around 210˚.

It should be tested periodically to make sure it is not clogged and water comes out—best to do when the water is cold in the heater and the system is pressurized.

I have seen recommendations that the valve should be replaced as a safety measure after a period of time, but I can't remember how long that is. If the water heater hasn't been used for a while, the valve seal may not have seated properly and leak a bit, but that should stop once it is wet for a while.

Gene
Ok I just tried that. It worked. Water came out that was cold and plenty of it!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Africa',

The crack in the last picture is not good, but if it is the thermocouple at least gas will not leak out. There should be a wire(s) in there.

It looks to me that the lower tubing with the flame is the pilot light and the upper one is for the thermocouple. The thermocouple is always above the pilot as the pilot has to heat the thermocouple. When it does, an electric current is created and sends a signal back to the main gas valve (the big tube to the left of the others) to tell it to open. On any screw fittings use yellow teflon tape—it is for gas lines—and not the white tape (it's for water lines).

There's a lot of rust on the pipes and it may be time to clean it up or get new parts.

Gene
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Africa',

The crack in the last picture is not good, but if it is the thermocouple at least gas will not leak out. There should be a wire(s) in there.

It looks to me that the lower tubing with the flame is the pilot light and the upper one is for the thermocouple. The thermocouple is always above the pilot as the pilot has to heat the thermocouple. When it does, an electric current is created and sends a signal back to the main gas valve (the big tube to the left of the others) to tell it to open. On any screw fittings use yellow teflon tape—it is for gas lines—and not the white tape (it's for water lines).

There's a lot of rust on the pipes and it may be time to clean it up or get new parts.

Gene
Yes, there is a wire inside the thermocouple.

Should I clean off the rust and if so with what? I bought it (used) from a very reputable RV place here in town. They will exchange it if I want.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If they will exchange at little or no cost, why not go that route with a newer water heater. The newer ones have electric igniters and you can light it inside the trailer if the switch can be mounted somewhere convenient. Then you wouldn't have to go out in the rain to light it, but I doubt they meant a entirely new one. If by "exchange" you mean the rusted and cracked parts, still a good deal.

To clean rust, a wire brush may work, a small file or sandpaper.

Gene