Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Water Heater flames

I have just lit the water heater on our 66 Safari( original). The pilot lit immediately, as did the main burner once turned to that position. After watching it a few minutes I noticed that the flame from the main burner was coming back out the opening where the burner fits inside of. So there is an open, not enclosed, flaming burning there.
Does that sound right?
I should add that all the water heater covers are off so maybe there is a built in piece that covers the main burner opening, OR is there a piece that is missing?
Thanks for helping and insights ,
Barry & Karen in Mi.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I have just lit the water heater on our 66 Safari( original). The pilot lit immediately, as did the main burner once turned to that position. After watching it a few minutes I noticed that the flame from the main burner was coming back out the opening where the burner fits inside of. So there is an open, not enclosed, flaming burning there.
Does that sound right?
I should add that all the water heater covers are off so maybe there is a built in piece that covers the main burner opening, OR is there a piece that is missing?
Thanks for helping and insights ,
Barry & Karen in Mi.
Sounds like the burner tube is blocked. You might want to snake it out.

"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I've had the same thing happen with my WH on my 65 (WH is original). When I put the outside cover back in place it burns correctly. Perhaps it is the cover that helps create the draft. Not sure.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Either way, NO, it's not right for flames to be coming out of the burner chamber. Big fire hazard!
A blocked burner vent (chimney) from wasps or debris, is most likely. You'll have to clean it out, thoroughly.
Usually the burner flame will create enough draft by itself, once it lights. It should only "blossom" when it first lights. It might backdraft with the wind, and cabin doors open, but all the covers need to be in place anyway.