Old 06-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Exclamation Vege oil in a honda generator???

Since everyone says, I can't do my Airstream with just solar- how about greasel in a diesel honda generator? The honda I'm thinking of has wheels for portability and says it can run power for 2 air conditioners plus some more things.

Next question can I use greasel only in a honda to make it run? No diesel starter?. and I'll always be in warm country areas.

Although I truly want to be green consumer, let's face it. I personally am not up to the kind of filtering one has to go through with used french fry oil.
Could I use a gallon of Sam's club's Canola oil? I'm trying to be independant within my parameters of health. It's not the cost of oil but the fact that I could do it by myself., and still remain breathing.

How much oil do these generators use? I'm thinking specifically of 2 air conditioners in hot weather and for recharging the deep cell gel batteries on cloudy days. (We have a discount on those, otherwise I'd do AGM.)

Where does everyone store their generators? Could I install a small Honda generator on the front where the lp tanks used to be? I know there is a problem with stealing- but let's not deal with that now. I'm concerned about weight ,balance etc.

I would really appreciate a lot of feedback on this issue. Thanks, everyone, silver suz

Old 06-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I have never converted an engine to grease, but this might help you. It says that engine coolant is used to pre-heat the grease to lower viscosity - small generators are air-cooled so that won't work. What Honda model are you looking at? I would think that a diesel large enough to power everything would be large and heavy. A year ago I asked on the forum about storing a generator on the trailer tongue and the advice was don't - it is not designed to take the weight.

I have a Honda EU2000i, which weighs 50 lbs. It will not power an airconditioner. I store it in a large Rubbermaid-type plastic box, and carry it either in the back of my SUV or in the trailer.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
There is a guy here locally that runs his Mercedes Diesel car on used vegetable oil from his local McD's and a few other places. They are happy to get rid of it, and he says it works fine, with less smoke and fumes than #2 Diesel fuel. He didn't tell me if the exhaust smells like burning french fries...He states he makes sure the oil is filtered (of course) before putting it in his car. I don't know what mods he had to make to his car, but he said it was pretty minor.
Terry
Old 06-08-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Check this thread on another forum. A lot bigger engine but some people posted who have experience with smaller engines.

What generator are you looking at? How much does it weigh? Is it air or water cooled? We need a few facts to help you. I searched quickly on Honda diesel generators and found very little.

John
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

It's interesting- "Greasel" has kits and sites for every kind of diesel car /truck around. Lots of info. But none on a diesel generator. I'm not particular to Honda- I just noticed they said diesel (I read greasel) generator and powers two A/C's, and is on wheels. That's why. Yes many people say their cars run better on Greasel because of the vege glycerin helps lubricate things. Would there be a better make of generator? silver suz
Old 06-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

These waste grease systems require at least four things:

1. A source for waste oil. If traveling from place to place it will be difficult to obtain a continuous supply.

2. A container to store the used oil.

3. Filters to filter it.

4. An auxilliary tank for the engine. This tank must also be heated as vegetable oil will set up more or less solid at room temperature, if hydrogenated, and at 40 deg. or so if not. The system requires regular diesel for start up and also for shutting down (to purge the vegetable oil), so it is really a dual fuel system.

Regarding placing a genset on the tongue, most discussions have involved a generator in addition to the propane bottles. I can see no reason why you could not safely replace 100 lbs of propane and bottles with 100 lbs. of generator. However, I suspect a diesel generator would be considerably heavier.

Mark
Old 06-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You can't use a lightweight carbureted gasoline engine to burn greasel. You really need a mechanically injected diesel engine, and one of these won't be light, and as with most older diesel designs, they're very loud. There are (relatively) inexpensive models from China available, and you'll need a 5,000-7000W model. I'd plan on 10 gallons of oil per air-conditioner running, per 24 hour day. Keep in mind you'll need to change the lubricating oil (petroleum product) every coupla hundred hours.

Let's face it... no campground that offers electrical power is going to let you run a generator, especially a diesel one.

You need to refocus on providing yourself emergency power.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Thanks, Moe, I was hoping it would provide an answer. I didn't know about the limitations of electric campgrounds and generators. suz

What emergency power that's not petrochemical? I'm trying solar. wind power is an option. and my son promised to make me a bike pedaling system to top off the batteries. Batteries to be placed over the wheels. : ( Sometimes this whole thing is very discouraging. But a two hour walk in clean air up in St Louis (however atypical that is) let's me know I have to go to clean air. suz
Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Sometimes this whole thing is very discouraging.
You will not know what "discouraging" is until you try and recharge a deep cycle battery using a bike and generator. It would take a professional cyclist about 8 hours to recharge a single 6 volt 200 ah battery, assuming he uses a generator of 100% efficiency.

Mark
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Suz,
What is the probability that you'll have a power outage for more than several hours when you don't evacuate? Low. In this situation, your refrigerator will hold its cold with no power and you can tough it out fanning yourself in the shade. You don't even need trailer batteries.

What is the probability that you'll have a power outage of 24 hours when you don't evacuate? Very Low. In this situation, you'll want some power for the refrigerator and a fan, and you can get by on just trailer batteries.

What is the probability that you'll have a power outage of more than 48 hours when you don't evacuate? Extremely Low. Beyond 48 hours, you MIGHT want something like solar to recharge the batteries, if you aren't going to evacuate and can stand the heat without air-conditioning.

There's a very high probability that solar is just a waste of money in your situation. Even if you plan on a highly improbable outage of 48 hours, you'll only need 120AH to run one Fantastic Vent on medium continuously, maybe 180AH for the big SunFrost to keep your expensive frozen food from thawing, and maybe another 50AH for lights and other things. Five 100AH batteries, with NO solar panels, would give you that with 70% discharge, which isn't bad if you're only doing it in power outages.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

HaH HAH, I like that!!! Thanks for the good laugh. I wonder why Real Goods offers a bike ing generator like that?? It costs $600-800. My son took one look at it and said "I can make that". Ahh, the exuberance of youth!!

Moe- how is it that the big motorhomes get to run diesel generators? AHHH!!! I'm being discriminated against!!! FIGHT FOR HANDICAPPED RIGHTS! Really, We WERE planning to use a portable diesel generator. Mark was checking E-bay for them, but I sent him off in the direction of learning about greasel first. I suppose the greasel could be cleaned here and brought out in 5 gallon containers to me. I don't know...this thing is so blue sky to me.. I am getting desparate to find alternative energies. How about hydrogen fuel generators???
About the handicapped rights- really I did nothing for ages about them. But 3 years ago I got a handicapped placard to park, (others driving). Hauling oxygen around is very difficult for me and now handling a service dog- I think after 30 years of being quiet, I'm going to start asking for more handicapped rights/privileges. And too bad to the people who don't think I deserve it. suz (Am I sounding militant?? at age almost 57 I deserve it!!!) suz
Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #12
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
There have been some really good articles in Mother Earth News magazine about using biodiesel which has been derived from used cooking oil as well as other vegetable oils. The emissions are much lower and your exhaust will smell like french fries.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

But Maurice, how would I regenerate the power in the batteries? I don't drive. Also I was told that electricity charges were very expensive in RV camps and 50 amps would be few and far in between. I'm talking about every day use. I've been at the epicenter of a 7.1 quake- I know about doing without in emergencies. One does without-it's that simple. I thought that I could generate enough electricity that I could use the thirty Amp parks- save the 30 amps for a/c, air filters and fridge. Almost all the rest is dc. and led lights. Oxygen is still a major problem. Major. Got a nebulizer that runs on rechargeable batteries (solar charged!) (had the solar stuff already!). Have a bunch of stuff that run on rechargeable batteries. I think I'm going krazy. suz
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The no-generators rule in a campground with electrical power applies to everyone, even the motorhomes.

Why are you desperate for alternative energy?

The manufacturing of solar panels consumes more coal and nuclear-produced power than they'll produce in their lifetime. A 120W Kyocera solar panel, horizontally mounted and not tilted, produces about a dime's worth of electricity per week on an annual average, including winter. Amortized over a 10 year period, you'll be paying $1.00 per week for that 10 cents per week worth of electricity.

The manufacturing of hydrogen uses far more coal and nuclear-produced electricity than you'd get from a hydrogen powered generator. Hydrogen isn't an energy SOURCE. Its a way of transporting energy, and it's much less than 100% efficient. It takes far more energy to produce it than it is capable of producing. The primary supporters of hydrogen power are the petroleum industry magnates, because that's the only economical way to get hydrogen. Solar and wind power is way to expensive.

The reality is that the grid is probably the cleanest and cheapest, certainly the most efficient, power source you can use.