Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Using TSP to clean holding tanks.

Has anyone used TSP in their holding tanks to clean them out? Especially interested to see if it helped the level sensors to start working again. What has worked for you?
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

1989 32' Excella
Mt Carmel , Tennessee
Clean Holding Tanks

We got our 1989 32ft AS Excella in Feb this year. I have been quietly lurking in the forum ever since.
We are preparing a quick trip out this weekend and am unsure the process to use with the holding tanks. The GEO Method sounds very appealing to me. That said, my manual says that the only thing that can be used without harm to the system is household ammonia (I don't even use in my household) and TSP. Do not use petroleum distillates (duh), dish detergents or abrasive cleaners. Dish detergents? Wouldn't they be very similar to laundry detergents(GEO Method)? I don't really understand the harm in dish detergents unless it has some sort of oil base. And if they are a problem what about the dish washing soap going into my grey tank?
We like things clean and simple. I would rather not use too many chemicals but will if that is what it takes to be fresh and clean.
DeannaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't understand the concern with having "clean" gray and black holding tanks. Like a septic system, I want my tanks to have a healthy living ecosystem of bacteria (the good kind) and enzymes. If one uses the proper amount of liquids when flushing, waits until there is 1/2 tank or more before dumping (or add water prior to dumping), and uses a quality digester (I use Rid X RV liquid), there should be no reason to clean waste tanks. In fact, I maintain that it is counter-productive.

Fresh tank, yes, sanitize with bleach once or twice a year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote