Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Bluffton , South Carolina
Using LP gas to fuel Coleman Stove

Hello, I just got off the phone with the top leading manufacturer of camping stoves and they said I could not add a designated LP gas line with proper fittings to fuel my camp stove outside using my AS's existing tanks and gas lines. They explained there is a pressure issue associated with this application. I just can't believe there isn't an adaptor available for this!!!! I need a professional/expert opinion. I do not enjoy using those throw away or non recycliable canisters. Please advise! Thank you

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
What I do is disconnect one tank and use a bulk tank adapter to connect the tank to the stove or bbq. I would like to see a more permanent installation.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHouse View Post
Hello, I just got off the phone with the top leading manufacturer of camping stoves and they said I could not add a designated LP gas line with proper fittings to fuel my camp stove outside using my AS's existing tanks and gas lines. They explained there is a pressure issue associated with this application. I just can't believe there isn't an adaptor available for this!!!! I need a professional/expert opinion. I do not enjoy using those throw away or non recycliable canisters. Please advise! Thank you

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
I use one

When I was working on mt 976 I replaced the refrigerator with an electric only one. I bought a table top grill from Costco and a 10 foot hose with quick disconnect from Lowes. I use the LP line that was disconnect from the refrigerator and it works great. I also have a twin bunk model and put long hinges on the bunk top and can lift it up with lots of additional storage and the grill fits there nicely.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
You do need a pressure reducer...or not...you will have greater pressure, bigger flame, more BTUs's w/out one, I have done this also...and it works fine.

But to answer your ?; yes you can buy the extension hose with a reducing valve on it...I used mine last night!

B
Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Look at changing out the burner not the gas line. Camp Chef offers ranges starting at about $100 that'll put a Coleman to shame. They fold up compactly, hold large, heavy pots and pans and work well in the wind. I've cooked for 60 on them and they're a chef's dream outdoor range. Maximum Output Single Cooker - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors
Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I always carry a 20lb tank and use a hose to connect it to my coleman stove, propane grill or generator. The hose is a common item that I picked up in a hardware store. I see no reason why I couldn't use my trailer propane, except that the 20lb tank is much more convenient. I carry it in the back of my pickup; I also use a BigFoot base and secure the tank to the truck, just in case.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote