Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,990
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We don't have an Airstream supplied port on our trailer so I plan to run my tri-fuel Yamaha 2000 watt generator off one of the 30 lb tanks if necessary. For now I do have an extension hose that I got from US Carburetor that has a regulator on it so I will be coming off the tank's high pressure POL valve.

I plan to put on a tee that will screw into the tank with an end that will allow the Airstream's POL connection to connect. There will also be a 3rd capped output that will allow me to tie to the generator if needed. That way I won't have to disconnect the POL connection to the trailer.

Here's a link that can help on estimating propane usage and run time. http://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane-...-rate?___SID=U

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
truxpin's Avatar

 
2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 246
Not the greatest pic, but here's where I tee'd in my quick connect ( just on the downside of the propane regulator, under the tanks) to be able to use the onboard propane and not have to haul extra tanks along with us.



I also installed the GenConnex kit in my new Honda. For the tee, I ordered some spare parts from GenConnex and got the rest from Ace hardware.

When we're ready to hook up the generator we simply quick connect each end & open the ball valve!
__________________

__________________
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #17
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 490
Images: 1
I have been reading several types of LP discussion for generators. May I know why you would want to convert to LP since filling it would seem more work than gasoline?
__________________
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #18
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,990
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Using Airstream Propane Tanks For Generator?

First carrying gas cans in your vehicle has more risk that propane. Gasoline deteriorates with time. Propane does not. Propane burns cleaner than gas. No carburetor fouling. Your generator will have a longer life span. Your trailer has a readily available supply of propane. Exhaust gases from a propane engine are cleaner. No ethanol to attract moisture in the tank. Engine oil stays cleaner. A gallon of propane gives almost equal run time as a gallon of gasoline.

To me the biggest down side is the fact that propane gas production minimizes when temps get really cold. That's why I bought a tri-fuel model so that I can run on natural gas at home if we have a winter power emergency.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 490
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
First carrying gas cans in your vehicle has more risk that propane. Gasoline deteriorates with time. Propane does not. Propane burns cleaner than gas. No carburetor fouling. Your generator will have a longer life span. Your trailer has a readily available supply of propane. Exhaust gases from a propane engine are cleaner. No ethanol to attract moisture in the tank. Engine oil stays cleaner. A gallon of propane gives almost equal run time as a gallon of gasoline.

To me the biggest down side is the fact that propane gas production minimizes when temps get really cold. That's why I bought a tri-fuel model so that I can run on natural gas at home if we have a winter power emergency.

Jack
Good info. I've consider it a while ago when I was informed about storage. Since I don't store my gas longer than three months before use, I figured no need to convert. Your suggestion of running cleaner is the most appealing, the other benefits can be argued, all good points and have pros and cons in their own right. I appreciate the info. Now to ponder.......
__________________
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,899
The elimination of all gasoline inside the tow vehicle and/or trailer storage areas makes this choice a no-brainer IMO. Never have to fill a gas can, especially while camping and then running out in the car when low.

Once the proper hoses and connectors are purchased, the propane generarator is actually less work and simpler, again . . . IMO.
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #21
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 490
Images: 1
I have a 2014 Cloud, there is a port on the front, is that considered low pressure for the use of a generator if I convert? Any info on converting yaMaha 2000i would be appreciated.
__________________
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I have a 2014 Cloud, there is a port on the front, is that considered low pressure for the use of a generator if I convert? Any info on converting yaMaha 2000i would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! Yes, that port is available for a generator, BBQ etc. I will post links for your consideration next.

The user jcanavera has been reporting on the following thread about his new Yamaha 2000:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html

You could also peruse the list of the topics in the sub-forum, of which this thread is a part [see hierarchy above left in blue labels between ">" symbols]:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/

1000 vs. 2000: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

Conversion generally: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ne-148661.html

Yamaha 2000 conversion retailer: http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2000is.htm

I just got a 1000 from this company, as reported on this thread.

Yamaha mfg. comparison 1000 vs. 2000:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...20091d7ca01773

Generators and solar power sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/


That should be enough reading for the night!

Good luck,

Peter

__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 944
Thanks to everyone for their comments, feedback and educating me so well. I have learned a lot on this thread and

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ml#post1804456


Bob
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #24
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar
 
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 490
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Yes, that port is available for a generator, BBQ etc. I will post links for your consideration next.

The user jcanavera has been reporting on the following thread about his new Yamaha 2000:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html

You could also peruse the list of the topics in the sub-forum, of which this thread is a part [see hierarchy above left in blue labels between ">" symbols]:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/

1000 vs. 2000: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

Conversion generally: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ne-148661.html

Yamaha 2000 conversion retailer: http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2000is.htm

I just got a 1000 from this company, as reported on this thread.

Yamaha mfg. comparison 1000 vs. 2000:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...20091d7ca01773

Generators and solar power sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/


That should be enough reading for the night!

Good luck,

Peter


you're alright!!
__________________
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,899
On a recent trip (reported on the 20-footer thread), FYI we had the benefit of this 10' extension hose for the propane, but could have used another 10' length, in order to be able to put the Yamaha 1000 generator anywhere on the site for maximum quiet. I put the generator in the back of the van, facing the back of our site, and put moving pads loosely around it to muffle the sound. It worked out great, but being able to back the van up another 10' would have helped a lot.

This hose comes complete with quick connect ends, and the female end has its own shut-off valve. It does take a while for the propane to fill the hose, but priming the gen helps accomplish this. Will try putting a spare male quick connect fitting in the end of the hose, and bleeding the low-pressure propane manually out the end. TBD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
 
TinVenture's Avatar
 
2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
We got the kits from Genconnex for our pair of Honda 2000s. We got 3 hoses with the kits.

Two of them are meant to connect directly from the LP tanks to the generators. They have a regulator built in to the hose (low vs high pressure was mentioned earlier). Note the tank threaded fitting on one end and the 3/8" female quick disconnect fitting on the other. The Genconnex kit has a 3/8" male QD fitting on the generator.
We recently took delivery of a 2016 19' Signature which came with the LP connector at the front. I purchased a Yamaha EF3000ISEB generator with the US Carburetor Tri-Fuel kit. I have a hose which has a regulator attached so it can be hooked up directly to a propane tank. I want to ditch that hose and use a quick disconnect hose to connect directly my generator to the LP port. If I understand correctly, the AS has a 1/4 female fitting and I need to install a 3/8 male fitting on my generator?

I thought propane tanks and generators use 3/8 fittings. I want to make this as easy as possible to quickly attach and remove a hose from the bed of my picked to the AS without any tools.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all those who contribute their time. I had no idea what we were getting into but couldn't be happier!
__________________
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,899
I replied in the other thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ng-104363.html

Good luck!

Peter
__________________

__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda EU2000i Generator - using with Airstream DHart Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 74 04-21-2015 10:20 AM
Grey and black tanks using the same vent pipe Bowmans Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 6 04-12-2015 10:29 AM
Heat -- using propane stove top burners or oven Jim Lee On The Road... 25 01-24-2014 05:12 AM
Anyone using these? Regascoe's Clear View LP Tanks? Phrunes LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 2 06-15-2013 06:46 AM
Views on using Simpson Strong-Ties as Hangars for Tanks DanielB Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 5 01-08-2011 11:46 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.