Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Using Airstream Propane Tanks For Generator?

I have a 2008 International that does NOT have the LP port. Just converted my Honda 2000 to tri-fuel and ready for our cross country trip. Not real interested in carrying more tanks than I have to (Have Tundra, Payload Challanged). I've read many threads on this topic, however everyone seems to carry propane tanks in tuck bed.
My question is this. Am I missing something or is there a reason that you cannot just run your propane converted generator off of your two Airstream tanks??
BTW, thanks to this site, my wife thinks I have totally lost it! Lol
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Sure why not. Disconnect one tank from the trailer and use it for the gennie

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We run our tri-fuel generator off the LP port that is installed on our Airstream. You could either have a port installed (if you are not a DIY type, any qualified plumber can do this) or disconnect one of the tanks. I would think that disconnecting the LP tank on the Airstream to access it would be a PIA in the long run so I'd vote for installing the port.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

The propane tanks are considered "high pressure" and the generator needs "low pressure" propane supplied. You can tap into the propane supply lines downstream from the OEM AS regulator. You will need to add a regulator if you connect directly to the AS tanks.

The OEM port on newer AS's is already low pressure. Our new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel gen also came with a regulator to use with standard high pressure BBQ tanks, and the AS has an adaptor hose to connect the gen to the trailer's port (without BBQ regulator) or to connect a BBQ grill to the trailer.

The following link gives details about our Yamaha 1000 and other similar units of different sizes.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html

Good luck!

Peter

PS 1000 vs. 2000:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Works for us....

Just as easy....pankake stores in the Classic's 'trunk'.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LIQUID STAINLESS STEEL 281.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	263989  
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just as easy....pankake stores in the Classic's 'trunk'.

Bob
Did you buy that long extension hose online, or did you make it up yourself? Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We got the kits from Genconnex for our pair of Honda 2000s. We got 3 hoses with the kits.

Two of them are meant to connect directly from the LP tanks to the generators. They have a regulator built in to the hose (low vs high pressure was mentioned earlier). Note the tank threaded fitting on one end and the 3/8" female quick disconnect fitting on the other. The Genconnex kit has a 3/8" male QD fitting on the generator.

We got one of these with each generator:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1465317723.663319.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	263994

Also, I FINALLY got my Weber Q120 converted as well and had the Torjik folks ( http://torjik.com/#_convertaq ) create a custom hose to connect to a 3/8" fitting as well. So I can use this hose to run the Weber from my AS LP tanks or a 20# tank away from the AS (like at home). These hoses also allow me to run the generator from home off a 20# tank should that be needed.

Genconnex also custom-made a 3rd hose for me to connect from the RV port (1/4" quick disconnect) to a T fitting that splits off to feed the pair of connected generators with a 3/8" fitting. Each hose input to the generator has its own on/off valve so in theory I could run one generator off the RV port and close the other line, or even run the grill off the other line.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1465318032.768519.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	263995

You can definitely do either/both if you like.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Did you buy that long extension hose online, or did you make it up yourself? Thanks

I purchased the entire kit from US Carb in 2007, Spring 2008 inst., quick-disconnect at both ends of the hose. Still running strong LPG/gas.

Bob
Old 06-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
How much propane do generators (lets say a Honda 2000) use? Are they pretty efficient or do they deplete a tank pretty quick?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
How much propane do generators (lets say a Honda 2000) use? Are they pretty efficient or do they deplete a tank pretty quick?
A good rule of thumb is that it will use LP at about the same rate (i.e., gallons) as gasoline. In other words, if you would have used 1/2 gallon of gasoline to run your generator for 4 hours you will use about 1/2 gallon of propane for the same amount of generator usage.

The relative energy in a gallon of gasoline is somewhat higher than a gallon of propane so I am sure that some "purist" will point out that your LP usage will be somewhat higher than had you been using gasoline, but in the "real world" you will hardly notice the difference.

I have a 2000 watt Yamaha and as I recall, when I was breaking it in on on gasoline with a small load (as recommended by the manufacturer of the conversion kit,) one gallon of gasoline lasted nearly seven hours. I have not measured the efficiency on LP as that is hard to do, but I'm willing to operate under the assumption that it's close enough to the same.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
It is easy to install a port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We run our tri-fuel generator off the LP port that is installed on our Airstream. You could either have a port installed (if you are not a DIY type, any qualified plumber can do this) or disconnect one of the tanks. I would think that disconnecting the LP tank on the Airstream to access it would be a PIA in the long run so I'd vote for installing the port.
I put mine where the flexible hose from the regulator connects to the copper line under the coupler A-frame. You will need a quick disconnect fitting pair available from Amazon and others, a T fitting, and some (probably four) adapters, all available from a home improvement store. There is a propane fitting between the hose and the pipe. Take it out. The fitting on the hose and the fitting on the pipe are two different sizes. Measure them to be sure to get the right size. In my case the larger one screwed right into the T fitting. I needed a reducing bushing for the smaller mate for the hose fitting. A close nipple is needed to connect the female part (with the shutoff) of the quick disconnect to the T. A roll of propane-rated teflon tape or pipe dope and you are good to go. I'd send a picture but the trailer is in storage.

I mostly use it for my grill, but I have the same fitting on my generator (which I just converted).

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
@ AnnArborBob...thanks. Beats carrying around gasoline.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
...The fitting on the hose and the fitting on the pipe are two different sizes. Measure them to be sure to get the right size. In my case the larger one screwed right into the T fitting.....

Al
What I meant to say was the adapter that mates with the larger one screwed right into the T.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Be careful where you connect to propane. US Carburation uses two regulators to reduce pressure down to the genny. The input/ output to the genny is higher that your normal Airstream 11" wc pressure and volume. If you draw more volume than the Airstream two stage regulator can supply, the regulator will freeze and starve the genny. Your genny output will be limited. You need to call US Carb and ask them if the set up you are attempting to use will handle your genny needs. It depends on the size of the generator. I had to connect mine directly to the bottles. For 2 bottles, I use 2 "Y" connectors, 2 pigtails, a 3-way ball valve, and a 3/8" quick connect after the first regulator. That way you can use low pressure hoses to run to the genny(s). I got my hose and quick connects from US Carb. It is a handy set up not having to disconnect and connect Acme connections every time you fire up the genny.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We don't have an Airstream supplied port on our trailer so I plan to run my tri-fuel Yamaha 2000 watt generator off one of the 30 lb tanks if necessary. For now I do have an extension hose that I got from US Carburetor that has a regulator on it so I will be coming off the tank's high pressure POL valve.

I plan to put on a tee that will screw into the tank with an end that will allow the Airstream's POL connection to connect. There will also be a 3rd capped output that will allow me to tie to the generator if needed. That way I won't have to disconnect the POL connection to the trailer.

Here's a link that can help on estimating propane usage and run time. http://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane-...-rate?___SID=U

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Not the greatest pic, but here's where I tee'd in my quick connect ( just on the downside of the propane regulator, under the tanks) to be able to use the onboard propane and not have to haul extra tanks along with us.

I also installed the GenConnex kit in my new Honda. For the tee, I ordered some spare parts from GenConnex and got the rest from Ace hardware.

When we're ready to hook up the generator we simply quick connect each end & open the ball valve!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #17
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I have been reading several types of LP discussion for generators. May I know why you would want to convert to LP since filling it would seem more work than gasoline?
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Using Airstream Propane Tanks For Generator?

First carrying gas cans in your vehicle has more risk that propane. Gasoline deteriorates with time. Propane does not. Propane burns cleaner than gas. No carburetor fouling. Your generator will have a longer life span. Your trailer has a readily available supply of propane. Exhaust gases from a propane engine are cleaner. No ethanol to attract moisture in the tank. Engine oil stays cleaner. A gallon of propane gives almost equal run time as a gallon of gasoline.

To me the biggest down side is the fact that propane gas production minimizes when temps get really cold. That's why I bought a tri-fuel model so that I can run on natural gas at home if we have a winter power emergency.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
First carrying gas cans in your vehicle has more risk that propane. Gasoline deteriorates with time. Propane does not. Propane burns cleaner than gas. No carburetor fouling. Your generator will have a longer life span. Your trailer has a readily available supply of propane. Exhaust gases from a propane engine are cleaner. No ethanol to attract moisture in the tank. Engine oil stays cleaner. A gallon of propane gives almost equal run time as a gallon of gasoline.

To me the biggest down side is the fact that propane gas production minimizes when temps get really cold. That's why I bought a tri-fuel model so that I can run on natural gas at home if we have a winter power emergency.

Jack
Good info. I've consider it a while ago when I was informed about storage. Since I don't store my gas longer than three months before use, I figured no need to convert. Your suggestion of running cleaner is the most appealing, the other benefits can be argued, all good points and have pros and cons in their own right. I appreciate the info. Now to ponder.......
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The elimination of all gasoline inside the tow vehicle and/or trailer storage areas makes this choice a no-brainer IMO. Never have to fill a gas can, especially while camping and then running out in the car when low.

Once the proper hoses and connectors are purchased, the propane generarator is actually less work and simpler, again . . . IMO.