Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver buffalo
Chuck - I guess my terminology is wrong. I thought since the heater puts out heat thru a ceramic grid that is heated by a propane flame is would qualify as a ceramic heater.
What makes it a catalytic heater?
I found this at Catco Catalytic Heater company website: (I don't know anything about this brand, but it was about the only explanation I could find on the Internet)

How they work:

By definition, a catalyst is any substance that alters the rate of a chemical reaction; during the process, the catalyst is neither consumed nor destroyed. In a catalytic heater, the chemical reaction of oxidizing (burning) natural gas or propane is slowed to about 65% of normal, resulting in a safe, flameless source of radiant heat. In order to become activated, the catalyst bed must be preheated to approximately 250įF; CATCO catalytic heaters are normally equipped with 12 or 120 volt low wattage elements to preheat the catalyst and start the reaction. Other starting voltages are available.

CATCO catalytic heaters are carefully designed to produce the most efficient heat possible. The only by-products of combustion (other than heat) are carbon dioxide and water vapor. Carbon monoxide, a result of inefficient combustion, is not measurable. Every CATCO catalytic heater is operated for one hour and carefully tested to ensure that components are functioning, that the heat output is within specification and that there are no leaks. This ensures that our customers receive the very best quality product that we can produce, one of our continuing goals.

Generally, catalytic heaters can be used in any application requiring a safe source of heat. In addition, they have the advantage of being able to perform without the use of a constant source of electrical power. This makes them ideal for locations where power in not available on a continuous basis.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver buffalo
Chuck - I guess my terminology is wrong. I thought since the heater puts out heat thru a ceramic grid that is heated by a propane flame is would qualify as a ceramic heater.
What makes it a catalytic heater?
I don't think thats a "ceramic" grid. the catalyst is woven into a fabric pad.
the rest..."what dmreily said".

except: there are some models that don't use any electricity at all, which, to me, seems like the most important purpose of these things: non-electric heat. if it requires electricity...even only a little, its purpose has been defeated, imo. But thats another discussion...
I think there's a kit you can get that'll allow you to hook the heater buddy into your rig's propane lines, and free you of the 6hr limit. I like to sleep for up to 8 hours...especially when I'm on vacation!

great device, though. I have one in my trailer, and it works great. But the electric ceramic has advantages for me, when there is an unlimited supply of 110v ac. When there isn't...catalytic is the only way to go.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Chuck - The manufacturer http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24 calls it a ceramic grid. That's way to hi-tech for me. I would have called it a white thing that get's hot.
silver buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Hmmm...well, I stand corrected.

notice, though, that they still don't call it a "ceramic heater"...even though parts of it may be ceramic.
maybe a better name for the little cheap-o unit I bought would be "ceramic-electric". In that sense, they're referring to the type of electric heating element. If you search on Lowe's site for "ceramic heater", you'll see all the electric ones like I posted earlier...but you won't see the "mr. heaters"...which they also carry. those are found under "propane heater".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #19
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, when referring to "ceramic heaters," I think first of the inexpensive jobs sold at Wal-Mart that run on AC. Then another type runs on propane, like the heaters that fit on top of a cylinder and heat objects and people by infrared rather than heating the air directly. A similar type of heater is also found suspended from the ceiling in car repair shops. The other type of propane heater is the catalytic heater in which the catalyst is in a mesh as used in RVs. The Olympian "Wave" heaters are an example of this type.

I have an older Olympian "6100a" heater in my '79. I used in last March in Toledo when it got down to 23 degrees overnight. I had the front street side window and the galley window on the bumpers, and it was toasty warm in the front of the trailer when I woke up.

By the time I made it to Cleveland, I had learned how to start the furnace.

The kind dmreilly quoted above is an oil-industry device for keeping pipeline valves and stuff from freezing. It requires electricity to preheat the catalytic component and would not be a kind used in a travel trailer.

Steve, the furnace also circulates heat around the storage tanks. If you want to stay WET when it's COLD, you need the furnace.

If you plan to to winterize it and store it over the winter, this is all a bit moot.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I think there's a kit you can get that'll allow you to hook the heater buddy into your rig's propane lines....

Anyone know what this is?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote