Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

1967 28' Ambassador
seattle , Washington
Talking Turning an Airstream into a salon

Hi there! I am turning a bare airstream into a salon and I am pretty new to the airstream world. I was wondering what kinds of tanks I need and how many. I don't plan on having a black water tank but I do have a lot of chemicals and color to get rid of. I was also wondering if anyone knew who to go through to rent a lot and hook up to water/electric. Sorry if these are silly questions, like I said, Im new! Thanks!
Ali
AliRulz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliRulz77 View Post
Hi there! I am turning a bare airstream into a salon and I am pretty new to the airstream world. I was wondering what kinds of tanks I need and how many. I don't plan on having a black water tank but I do have a lot of chemicals and color to get rid of. I was also wondering if anyone knew who to go through to rent a lot and hook up to water/electric. Sorry if these are silly questions, like I said, Im new! Thanks!
Ali

I would think a chat with the zoning board where you plan to set up your salon would be a GOOD idea. Hate to see you start piling up the violations! Next a serious discussion with a Airstream engineer at the factory as to how these chemical will effect the plumbing systems. You may find that you are just going to use the shell and commercial Pex or other without any of the OEM stuff. It should be a pretty cool salon!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #3

1967 28' Ambassador
seattle , Washington
thankyou:)

so there are no current plumbing systems in it, when you say use the shell, do you mean put in my own plumbing? I'll google the pex and OEM. Thanks so so much I am starting from scratch and really appreciate it.
AliRulz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliRulz77
so there are no current plumbing systems in it, when you say use the shell, do you mean put in my own plumbing? I'll google the pex and OEM. Thanks so so much I am starting from scratch and really appreciate it.
Pec is a high-grade plastic pipe. OEM is shorthand for Original Equipment Manufacture. In my advice I was thinking you might be planning to use the identical plumbing system as from the factory. Since you are starting from a shell, a good commercial plumber may be a good consultant, rather than the installer. Seek salon designer, too.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
start with the basics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliRulz77 View Post
This a a cool project. I hope you share your progress on this site!

"In general" a relatively modern travel trailer hooked up to AC power, water and sewer, has essentially the same plumbing as what you would find in a store front retrofitted as a salon. Everything ends up in a municipal sewer or a septic drain field eventually. All the rules that apply to draining hair products in a regular salon would apply to your situation.

Assuming the chemicals you use are the same as used for municipal sewer systems, and that you will always have access to a water supply and a sewer drain, the big difference for what you are planning, is if you will be working while disconnected from a sewer for periods of time. In that case your design point is how mauch capacity your grey/black water tank has.

If you will be permanently hooked up to a city sewer or a septic tank, the big decision you will have is if you want to bypass your black water tank (to avoid "piles") and install a regular flush toilet for your customers.

If you plan to work disconnected and/or be mobile, then you have a little more homework to do regarding water and drain capacity. All very solvable!
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote