Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #43
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I don't see the need for extra tanks. Ours last for weeks and we never had a problem finding a place to refill them.

YMMV.
Run the furnace or a generator and they last for days

Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
We have a Champion 3500 Dual Fuel, but don't want to use gasoline. We learning that the generator hose has a regulator and that the quick connect port on our trailer is also connected with a regulator. Thus a double regulator will not provide enough fuel. Therefore the need to have a dedicated propane tank. Any suggestions?

brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Look at the “which Generator” thread for a method to connect it properly to a quick connect port. Basically you remove the both the propane tank connector and the small regulator together. Then you hook up a quick connect hose to the big regulator from Champion that then plugs into the generator propane port. I’ll PM you some links shortly
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Quote:
Do they carry the basket with the fuel in it home in a closed SUV? I would think while in flight a balloon basket is better vented than a Escalade.
Bill,

Most 90% of all pilots keep their systems/baskets (full of propane) in either standard box-trailers or even standard cargo-vans that they use as chase vehicles, which sit out in the sun all day long with the basket inside. If you fill your tanks correctly (80% full), have the tank and valves inspected each year (which we do by FAA rules) you should never have a problem.

Just helped a fellow pilot with a flight last weekend, afterwards I asked "You unload your van when you get home?" Answer: "Nope, I'll pull the basket out to refuel, then it goes right back in for storage until the next flight".

Please understand the propane tanks we use are very close to forklift tanks, the only difference we draw liquid vs. vapor off the tank.

Enjoy,
Old 05-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
NA , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
And to think hot air balloon pilots travel with balloon baskets inside of vans all over the country to events with 40-60 gallons of propane in the basket all the time. Rule has always been, "Show up full of fuel, leave full of fuel".

Now that I've read this thread, guess I'll never be attending another balloon event in my life.

The rules of life that others provide.

Enjoy,

We don’t receive certification by the FAA!

Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote