Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I got it! Eric you probably drive faster than me, so when the semis pass me, WHOOSH!!!! Actually we did not have that problem on the 25' would location matter?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've heard may folks in the past, prior to electronic ignition that had the fridges on the street side, having the most issues. Seemed that folks that had fridges on the curb side had fewer issues. My 25' has it on the street side (the more problematic side) and so far I haven't seen any issues. I may however by a spare ignitor and keep it handy. My unit could be blowing out and restarting itself so may times or so few time, I just never know since it's now an automatic process.

Towing I mainly stay at about 62mph, but in the SS, solo, I have been know to easily more than double that sometimes, but, that has no data to help or counter the fridge blowing out. I may have blown a couple of them out passing RV rigs, but there too, I wouldn't know if I did or didn't for certain!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Some of it may be the weather too, some of the open roads like in Nebraska can blow your head off. We had a plastic gas tank cover go airborn on our SOB going down 90 in Big Sky Country South Dakota.

So you are not sure if the Airstream was passing gas or not all the time?

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My fridge is on the street side. Constantly getting wooshed by semi's. My furnance is on the curb side.

Carol,
which side is yours on?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wonder why yer having the issues on street side and so far I haven't (that I know of)....watch, I just jinxed myself...first trip, I'm gonna have issues, but wait, I suppose that means additional issues, since I already have issues!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
I have had fridges on the steet side and curb side and always travel with them on without ever having a problem.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
recall ?

Ask a simple question and ...wow.

So, what's all this Domestic recall talk?.....I've only owned the trailer a week and have no idea as to what's going on.

Thanks,

Si
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Dan, only a week, congratulations. It looks like a great Argosy from your avatar. Are you new to rving in general or just new to your Airstream?

Apparently the manufacturer of the refrigerators has had an issue and there is a service recall on them. I know there also was a recall on some of the microwaves a while back too.

Have you had all your systems checked out or are you the checker?

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Just new to AS.
We had a '75 13 foot Boler for three years. They are an all fiberglass egg. The Argosy is like moving into Trump tower for us. The fact we will have heat, a refrigerator, bathroom with shower, hot water and an A/C unit ...pinch me.

I couldn't even stand up straight in the Boler. I'm brining it to a "checker" later this week. It has several issues, mainly leaky plumbing and some seals need replacing above as 'water is a dripping.

Overall, everything works, it just hopefully needs some tightning here and there and sealant....etc. My main concern is simply getting it water tight, after that it's all gravey baby !

I can't wait to take it out. We've been sitting in it at night with cocktails discussing where and when to go.

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Clink Here's to you! Hope we get to see you at a rally someday. When you can pop up some pictures of your new baby. Isn't it just the most fun to be dreaming of streaming.

photography
Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Being new to this, I decided to run the fridge on propane untill I listened to a 30 minute tirade from my local propane dealer on "folks that will blow themselves up for a cold beer"

Granted he's well known for his 30 minute tirades from "Those Liberals in Washington spying on his computer" to "idiots who dont use thier blinker"
So dont take offense to this if you do run the fridge

IMHO of all the reasons to blow myself up, I suppose a cold beer in July would be at the top of the list. But I digress.

What I found works so far in my 4 Cu ft. Dometic, is a tuperware container that fills half of my freezer. I fill it up 3/4 with water and freeze it overnight before taking off.
2 of them if its an all day trip.
It keeps things pretty cold, and usually there is not much water in the containers. We refreeze them overnight when stopping.

This worked for us all the way from the Gulf coast of Texas to Central Colorado in may (plenty warm) and so far the mayonase hasnt killed us yet.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Travel with fridge on

We have always traveled with the fridge on and never experienced a problem. Our refrigerator is relatively new with electronic ignition.

Dave
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I may be stupid, but have always travelled with the fridge on.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #34
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I travel with my fridge on. I have a lot of food. I full time. I used to turn it off when fuelsing since I had a gas engine. Now I do not worry about it in the diesel truck lanes. No fumes.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
We always travel with our fridge on propane. No problems to date.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have not travelled with my refer on. Some friends I travel with do and others are totally against it. We don't full time and we typically pick up food for the day during our travels. It gives us a short break, generally in airconditioned comfort, and we get a wider variety of foods. I realize this is impractical for full timers. I have never read anything "official" that indicated thou shalt not......

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I always travel with the fridge on and I seldom have to worry about turning it off to refuel the diesel - due to the range of the GMC (---over 400 miles which, for me, is all I want to drive in one day. I quit the marathons many years ago!) I did have problems with the pilot getting blown out until I cut a furnace filter to fit (---the one with the plastic ribs) - which nicely wedges into the frame just behind the access door. Never had another blow out. Subsequently, and most recently, I had the Dometic recall performed and this included, as part and parcel thereof, a full aluminum baffle that pretty well eliminates the blow out problem. I tested it on a trip just last week, without the filter in place, and it functioned flawlessly! Generally, and when I can, I try to refuel without the trailer in tow. This is mainly because, from experience, I've found that too many stations that offer diesel at the automobile islands aren't really set up to handle a 54' rig - and, all too often, they have driveways that are almost impossible to navigate without dragging - a definite Airstream "no-no!" As for the truck islands, if they do have a small diameter nozzle available, they will usually do their level best to keep its location a secret!

If you drive a gasser, and you need to refuel with the trailer in tow, I think that it is only prudent and responsible to shut the fridge down before pulling alongside the gas island. You may be as much as 25' from the fridge when refueling - but that young lady across the island at the next set of pumps behind you may be as close as 5' from your pilot light. That said, beware of becoming a victim yourself due to someone else's negligence! Speak up or hold off refueling until the questionable trailer or motorhome next to you has left - and that applies to the motorhome generator too! Pass this on to those you love!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Fridge on

We always have the fridge on but we fill up at a diesel island too. We might operate differently if we were burning "jet fuel".
Old 07-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We travel with the thing on, but turn it off for fueling. With the new fridge, it's all pretty easy because we just turn a knob. (But we still liked our old fridge, even though it was a royal pain to light it back up.)

Lynn
Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Since the Eurovans fuel fill is on the opposite side of the fridge in the AS, I don't worry to much about this.

One thing that I make sure of is that I get a pump at the end so there are no other vehicles fillling on the fridge side of the AS. I alos like filling when there is a slight breeze as well.