Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Acoording the the AS factory Dometic says to travel with the fridge off. That is why they do not put the fix in unless you ask for it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
As it was with blowing out en route, I had melted ice cream and spoiled food several times as the fridge and contents got much too warm.
This is exactly why I don't travel with mine on - if there were a problem, it would get very warm. :-)

Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Newer fridges with auto ignition do not worry about flame outs because the unit will relight itself....matter of fact, the unit shuts the flame off when the internal temps of the fridge reach the correct internal temp.

On units that run costantly and/or do not have electronic ignition, yes, flame outs can and do happen.

As for my unit, it runs when in transit and will again, once it gets the recall fix installed.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Ah but you do have to worry about it. Mine flamed out constantly. It wore out the ingitor. Every time I stopped I went back and checked the fridge. It wass usually in the check mode. I had to cycle it to get it to come back on.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
me too, that may be a safety feature? Once the gas is depleted from the line you have to turn it off and on to get the fridge to work. Isn't the furnace the same? Either that or it tries once or twice and if it does not ignite it cuts off until I turn it off and then back on. Although they also had to adjust the amount of gas to the appliances, don't know if that was a factor, I was getting soot out the furnace vent beyond the face plate and onto the aluminum.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That may be the case, but I've been using mine now for 4 years and been passed by semis, etc had lots of wind, etc. I might have been lucky, but so far, I haven't had to worry about any ingnition replacement.

Bottom line to me is that I could travel 8 hours in a day and even if I keep it cold overnight and disconnect, it will be cool in the fridge, but not cold and any frost, etc on the coils, will in fact melt.

If it ever became an issue to me, I'd buy and keep a spare ignitor. Unitl then, I can't see why I'd shut it down when in transit, when Dometic engineering told me specifically that the units are designed to be run when in transit (less this current recall issue).

Of course in my mind, filling up the tow vehicle would make me shut down the fridge, but only during that time when at the gas station.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I got it! Eric you probably drive faster than me, so when the semis pass me, WHOOSH!!!! Actually we did not have that problem on the 25' would location matter?

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've heard may folks in the past, prior to electronic ignition that had the fridges on the street side, having the most issues. Seemed that folks that had fridges on the curb side had fewer issues. My 25' has it on the street side (the more problematic side) and so far I haven't seen any issues. I may however by a spare ignitor and keep it handy. My unit could be blowing out and restarting itself so may times or so few time, I just never know since it's now an automatic process.

Towing I mainly stay at about 62mph, but in the SS, solo, I have been know to easily more than double that sometimes, but, that has no data to help or counter the fridge blowing out. I may have blown a couple of them out passing RV rigs, but there too, I wouldn't know if I did or didn't for certain!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Some of it may be the weather too, some of the open roads like in Nebraska can blow your head off. We had a plastic gas tank cover go airborn on our SOB going down 90 in Big Sky Country South Dakota.

So you are not sure if the Airstream was passing gas or not all the time?

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
My fridge is on the street side. Constantly getting wooshed by semi's. My furnance is on the curb side.

Carol,
which side is yours on?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wonder why yer having the issues on street side and so far I haven't (that I know of)....watch, I just jinxed myself...first trip, I'm gonna have issues, but wait, I suppose that means additional issues, since I already have issues!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
I have had fridges on the steet side and curb side and always travel with them on without ever having a problem.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
recall ?

Ask a simple question and ...wow.

So, what's all this Domestic recall talk?.....I've only owned the trailer a week and have no idea as to what's going on.

Thanks,

Si
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Dan, only a week, congratulations. It looks like a great Argosy from your avatar. Are you new to rving in general or just new to your Airstream?

Apparently the manufacturer of the refrigerators has had an issue and there is a service recall on them. I know there also was a recall on some of the microwaves a while back too.

Have you had all your systems checked out or are you the checker?

photography