Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Trailer Mount Grill???

I went to the local RV show this weekend to see how the other half lives (the SOB's). After seeing what was available, I'll take our 20 year old Airstream over most of (well probably all of) the new SOB's.

Anyway, I saw a neat feature on many of the new SOB's that caught my attention: a grill that mounts to a track on the side of the trailer. It uses a quick connect to the trailer LP system, so that it could be easily removed for travel.

Has anyone added such a grill to their Airstream? If not has anyone at least added a quick connect for a grill into the trailer LP supply at the side of the trailer? It seems a quick connect would be much better on the side, under the awning, than up front near the LP bottles.

We currently have a small grill that uses the little LP bottles, but it'd be much nicer to not have to carry those little LP bottles and instead tap into the trailer LP supply.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
LPG Grill

Dear 66 Overlanderless,

Aren't 25' Sovereigns great!!!

I had to have a LPG grill. Not wanting to cut into the original gas lines of my unit, I placed a 'T' connection at one tank top. (it could have gone inboard of the entry step, there is an original flared 'T' connector there that splits service to my stove and forced air heater)

I use a 'quick connect' 12' flex hose that is long enough to extend under the awning while grilling. I store it in the grill when not in use. My Stainless Steel cylindrical grill (designed for sailboat rail mounting) lives in the aft exterior storage compartment when not in use.

Because it is a 'Quick-connect' fitting, it is 'no-big-deal' to hook up.

Although time has shown me, that if not entertaining, it is so much easier to bring out an electric grill (T-FAL, Multi-grill, http://www.t-falusa.com/tefal/ ) In extreme outside weather, it sits on my stove top and exhausts out the overhead vent. Stores easily. (don't discount this electric grill until you try it - I'm quite particular and this grill is good!)

Therefore, my decision was to have the best of both worlds. Each to their own! The yacht service grills are more expensive than some of the toys offered for RV'ers although there are numerous attachment methods offered by the vendors that I'm sure you would find one to provide your needs.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Question side mounted grills

The question in my mind is what effect that heat would have on your clearcoat. It doesn't sound like something I'd want to try.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Aren't 25' Sovereigns great!!!
Man, you mean there are three of us now?

Mark
'85 Sovereign 25'
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Webber Q

Joe,
We got the Webber Q grill around Christmas. We will have a quick connect that will run off of our main propane bottles. I bought the flex hose that connects a "regular" lp tank to the Q, but I keep a small bottle as a backup. We picked the Webber because we love our "big" Webber. The Q has its own stand and a great duffle with wheels that every thing fits into. We like the inderect heat that the Q provides, we have cooked a whole chicken as well as the ususal steaks and burgers.
I do not think that I would be comfortable with the grill next to the Overlander.
Happy Grilling

(overlanderness... same as vajeep should be vaburb...)
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've got a Baby Q and i'm impressed also. I going to try to find a small tank. Maybe 10lbs or so. I used to do the hose from the trailer tank thing, but it never was long enough to get me under cover when the weather got wet.

I also looked at those SOB units with the grills on the side and thought the same things about heat, flare ups, and the grease that will eventually build up on the side of the trailer. Lets see how long this trend lasts before we start seeing some serious modifications on newer SOB's next year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Magma propane Marine Grill

66 Overlander: I'm very pleased with my Magma 14-1/2" diameter propane Marine Kettle BBQ Grill purchased from West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=50317

Magma's Fish-On rod holder (A10-160):

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=129304

bolted to the curb side of my '64 Globe Trotter aft of the door secures the grill for easy cooking. Instead of small disposable bottles, I use a propane quick disconnect "T"-eed into the low pressure side of the front propane tank line to provide a nearly unlimited fuel supply through a 10' hose. Off season, I mount the grill just outside my house back door and fine tune my grilling skills and receipies. I keep the food covered while cooking, so splatter is not a problem. Cooking time is usually less than 6 minutes, so damaging the trailer's aluminum side seems only a remote possibility. Its the hot ticket!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I need another grill like I need a hole in the head ... BUT, the local high school has a metal class that is making and selling these things. Kind of a Junior Achievement program where they teach students how a business is run.

It's a charcoal grill made from an old propane cylinder (Kind of ironic).

It is a good size for traveling and built pretty solid. Everything is welded.

Should be good for doing 2-3 hamburgers or pack of hot dogs or 1 steak at a time.

Cost was $30.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00648 (Small).JPG
Views:	317
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	10291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00652 (Small).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	10292  

cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I thought about one of those trailer mount types as well, but then I remembered we had an outside stove setup in the pop-up camper that we owned prior to this, and it attached to the side like these grills do. Some of them (grills) have gotten a lot nicer, as evidenced by what I saw at the last local RV show here in Austin.

But then I remembered what a pain it was cleaning the grease splatters off the side of the trailer, and that convinced me not to get one.

Until I find something I like better, I'll stick with my little Coleman propane stove with interchangeable grill and griddle, and single burner. Does the job well enough for us. Cleans up easily, and stows nicely under the front gaucho.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I was driving down the road the other day and spotted an Airstream poking out one of the front work bays at a high end after market truck outfitter. Curious to see what the heck they were doing to it so I turned around and drove in to their service area. It was a beautiful international trailer - brand new I think. To my surprise (had to walk into the service bay to see this) they were installing a kick ass gass grill on one side of the rear bumber and a 4K watt honda generator on the other side. Don't know what this is gonna do to the tow weight or balance of the trailer but the quality of the work was amazing. From what I could see they were doing it right the first time.

For those of you in Austin, TX the after market truck outfitter is on the 183 service road right past Burnet Rd.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I think you're talking about Star Customs... was over there the other day on my lunch hour browsing. Nice place. Fella could lose a lot of his money in there.

'Course it would seem whomever the proud owner was hasn't visited this site, otherwise he'd know installing things like that on the rear bumper are a Cardinal "no-no".

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"I also looked at those SOB units with the grills on the side and thought the same things about heat, flare ups, and the grease that will eventually build up on the side of the trailer. Lets see how long this trend lasts before we start seeing some serious modifications on newer SOB's next year." Jack, I understand the questions raised here, but we were owners of Coleman popups and the Caravan with these side-mounted stoves/grills up until the day we bought our Airstream. We loved that attached gas-connected cooker, and feel this is one short-coming in the Airstream (along with the Colemann's outside shower, but that's another thread!). We had no problems with heat or mess, but of course we watched the stove when using it and cleaned up after. I'm thinking AS will come around in time to find a way to adapt this very popular accessory to its design more than the SOB's will be inclined to discontinue it. Just my thoughts
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thanks to all who replied. I had never seen the grills that mount to the side of a trailer until the RV show (haven't done too much camping yet). It looked like a good idea on the surface, and maybe it is, but we'll pass for now, I guess.

Last year we travelled with a Coleman Roadtrip Grill. It is nice, but really too big and bulky for our purposes (only two of us). Near Christmas, we picked up a Coleman Roadtrip Party Grill, a little table top model that we think should work fine for the two of us, and it's much smaller and lighter. I guess the one thing still to consider would be adding a quick connect to the LP system on the Airstream, so we don't have to carry those little LP bottles.

I guess we could also investigate an electric grill (or maybe one of those George Foreman things). In any case, we've got until the spring thaw before we need to make any decision.

Thanks again.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
'85 25' Sovereigns Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Man, you mean there are three of us now?

Mark
'85 Sovereign 25'
Yeah, there are at least three of us on the forum now: you, me & driftwood. We got the rarer (I think) double bed model. It seems so much nicer than the twin setup with the extra counter space in the bedroom. Bought it in November, now waiting for spring to try it out.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 02-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Bed - Yea!

If mine didn't have the double bed, I would not have acquired it. Check out my 'Members Photo Album'
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Jack, I understand the questions raised here, but we were owners of Coleman popups and the Caravan with these side-mounted stoves/grills up until the day we bought our Airstream. We loved that attached gas-connected cooker, and feel this is one short-coming in the Airstream (along with the Colemann's outside shower, but that's another thread!).
I'd buy into a stove and I've seen those for sometime now. I'm having problems with a grill which to me presents a lot more issues than a stove would.

If you remember the '04 30' Safari bunk model had the outside shower compartment. When I say compartment it was a hatch cover that when opened up contained a hose with a shower head and hot and cold handles.

http://www.airforums.com/photo...cat/500/page/1

I haven't seen the Coleman shower so I'm really not familiar with that setup.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have an Olympic gas grill. It uses the small bottles 14 oz. I can cook about 5 meals on one bottle. I like the idea that I can place it where ever I need to inorder to cook. Sometimes its gets too smokey under the awning and other times too windy. I just pick it up and look for a better spot.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

At the risk of hijacking this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
If mine didn't have the double bed, I would not have acquired it. Check out my 'Members Photo Album'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Yeah, there are at least three of us on the forum now: you, me & driftwood. We got the rarer (I think) double bed model. It seems so much nicer than the twin setup with the extra counter space in the bedroom.
You mean all THREE of us have '85 Sovereigns with that funky corner bed? We must represent a major portion of the factory output of that particular make, model, and configuration.

I almost didn't buy mine when I first saw that the "full-sized bed" turned out to be in the corner. But no way would I now trade the extra wardrobe and the extra drawers for an island bed.

My rear crenza sorta collapsed in a heap during some "adjustments", so I rebuilt it more in the Excella style. And in a "while I'm at it" mode, the front credenza, the galley, sofa, floor.... You can see the photos at http://www.airforums.com/photo...500/ppuser/139

Mark
Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #19
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Hi Jack

I suppose we could move this particular discussion to the Airstream Trailer Forums, 1985 Sovereign and each of us subscribe. Nothing better than discussing OUR Airstreams and their siblings!

I think Fallman may also qualify for our elite group of '85, 25' Big Bed - 4 of us!
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Lo Jack

I think we have hijacked my original thread . . . grills, schmills.

Mark,
I've seen your photo's. The upgraded cabinets look nice, certainly better than the original tambours. It's also nice that you were able to manufacture a little counter space in the kitchen. Out trailer is pure stock except for replacement fridge, A/C, and water heater. I should probably post some photo's of ours on the sister site, except that I haven't figured out how to do that yet (really haven't even tried to figure it out).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768