Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Threaded Gas Line Dope

We are installing a Kitchen-Aid cook top, and hit a snag.

Does anyone know for sure if that white plumbers tape is legally acceptable for making a seal in threaded pipe?

The threaded pipes are factory OEM.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I've never seen a gas pipe intaller use teflon tape. The gas guy who works for us uses Rector pipe sealant in a yellow tube. I've seen it at Home Depot.

- Charlie
Old 03-24-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you look in the plumping isle near the gas lines for water heaters they make a yellow tape for gas fittings. It is thicker and I do not think it is teflon. The teflon tape I am told will not hold up against the gas and will eventually allow a leak. A roll is a buck or two.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I thought so, guess I'll have to break down and buy right stuff.
Thanks,
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Debris

I was told by gas company person that their crews use only pipe dope on threaded connections, and never use teflon tape. It was not a sealability issue, but rather a debris issue in that, improperly installed, a fleck of teflon tape could blow through the line, and potential clog a jet.

I have no chemistry credentials, but I do not think teflon tape will brake down in the presence of LP, or any other heating gas. The different colors of tape available only serve to visually indicate the thickness of tape.

But hopefully, there might be a Chem E in Minnetonka with better info
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Pipe tape

I use the IMAC yellow tape for gas pipe. It needs to be installed carefully. Start the wrap a little back from the end of the pipe and only use one wrap without stretching. If you do it that way it won't shred. I've also used their stainless steel pipe tape.

I avoid that thin white stuff for a buck a roll.

Only use the tape on tapered thread joints, like regular pipe. Don't use anything on straight treads, compression fittings, or flare fittings.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
I have been in the pipeing industry for 30+ years. Use only a
thin coating of Rector Seal Teflon Pipe Dope or equal on the outside pipe threads. If you purchase a tube or a can mix it well. the components in the dope tend to seperate. If it looks oily, it is not mixed well enough. In a can, mix it with a brush. I a tube, simply kneed it. Make sure you use only malable pipe fittings. Cast Iron should not be used for gas
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Nav.. Whatever you use test the connection real good. Here the gas company will come out and check it. Use the slim stuff you use to check your AS connections. You using natural or LP. The gas guys here use different tape for them.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote