Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
This can't be normal?

Ok I was looking into doing some painting on the tongue of my AS when I noticed that the gas line was mashed flat under the A-frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	140253

I haven't had much experiance with gas lines, can I make a splice alittle further back or does the entire line have to be replaced?

Also,

This is strange to me, but when I let the gas line down a very thick dark colored oil began to flow out of the gas line.....

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	140254
It also has a horrible smell.

Is this normal, really dont see how it can be.

How would one go about cleaning out the lines or what is the needed action I should take next?
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Found this in thread from 2010.. At least you are not alone..

"Propane is a petroleum by-product (or natural gas processing, which is not relevant here) - it is a specific fraction and no fraction is 100% pure. Over time, a very small amount of the heavier fractions will settle out and make a light, oily residue. Over many years, this residue can become quite thick, even tar-like. It is non-hazardous."

As for splicing into line, I believe it depends on quality of remainder of line.. There are fittings you could attach to cut end, and splice, but I suspect new line would be safer bet.. Others who have more experience with propane hard lines may want to weigh in...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
My guess once you dig into the replacement parts it would be cheaper and easier to replace the entire section! Plus you are reducing the number of joints and areas of leaks!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I found the same problem on the 2005 AS we bought -ooked as though someone had put a jack under it!

Surprisingly all appliances were still working, but I suspect in colder weather when propane pressures were lower there could have been problems.

I replaced the line myself back to the first union. I wouldn't have considered doing less.

The pipe is cheap enough, so why introduce extra joints that could be another source of leaks?!

Just my thoughts!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ours is a bit flattened, too, but so far (many years down the road) everything seems to be working well, and the pipe isn't leaking. Good enough for me!

Lynn
Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Ok

Thanks for the replies everyone, guess tomorrow I will look at replacing the line and not doing a splice.

Glad to know that the oil is nothing hazardous or dangerous.
Should I try and blow the oil out of the lines while I have the lines disconnected? Seems like this would be a good time to clean the pipes.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That oil IS the smell. I forget the name of it, and don't bother looking it up, I'll forget it in five minutes but that's what they put in the gas so that you will smell it when you have a leak. It accumulates with time in your gaslines.

If you do the replacement yourself, remember two things:
  • Get the special yellow joint tape, don't use the usual white plumber's tape.
  • Also check very thoroughly for leaks. You can buy a little bottle with a soapy tester fluid, or some people just use a bit of dish detergent.
I would replace the section, get yourself a clean main pipe!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
That oil IS the smell. I forget the name of it, and don't bother looking it up, I'll forget it in five minutes but that's what they put in the gas so that you will smell it when you have a leak. It accumulates with time in your gaslines.

• Also check very thoroughly for leaks. You can buy a little bottle with a soapy tester fluid, or some people just use a bit of dish detergent.
Thanks for the info, I learned something new today. Had no idea the oil is the smell.

Ill be sure to look for the yellow tape and Ill be SURE to check for leaks.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
or some people just use a bit of dish detergent
That dish detergent can be corrosive, and some ingredients don't play nice with LP.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That dish detergent can be corrosive, and some ingredients don't play nice with LP.
Ah! I dint know that. Then stick with the li'l bottle that's purpose-made for this job. That's what I did...
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sounds like you have already decided to replace the entire section. Good. With age, copper tubing becomes much less pliable and a bit harder to work with around curves and such. (when you try to bend it a bit, it creases instead) You are much better off replacing the whole section. Probably going to need a flaring tool. available at Lowes/Home Depot... Do definitely use the yellow tape. But all in all, one of the easy things to attack...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:

Just curious - isn't the teflon tape only for tapered pipe thread joints? I have never used any kind of tape for flared fittings due to the nature of the way the seal is achieved.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Mercaptan

Quote:

The "smell" is Mercaptan. Didn't look it up. Just one of the random bits of useless knowledge cluttering my brain. Maybe now that I let it out I'll remember where I put my keys......

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Just curious - isn't the teflon tape only for tapered pipe thread joints? I have never used any kind of tape for flared fittings due to the nature of the way the seal is achieved.

Brian
Yes, and he showed a threaded joint in his photo. You are right about the flared fittings; no tape.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Yes, and he showed a threaded joint in his photo. You are right about the flared fittings; no tape.
Aage Really? Look closer! That IS a flare fitting. It is a male flare elbow.
Please be careful commenting about issues regarding gas or electrical. You may end up facing a lawsuit.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Aage Really? Look closer! That IS a flare fitting. It is a male flare elbow.
Please be careful commenting about issues regarding gas or electrical. You may end up facing a lawsuit.
I'd love to see the look on a judges face when you tell him you are suing flanders over incorrect advice on an internet forum.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
The "smell" is Mercaptan. Didn't look it up. Just one of the random bits of useless knowledge cluttering my brain. Maybe now that I let it out I'll remember where I put my keys......

Sue
I'm not sure if the industry standard is vague enough to allow different odorants to be used, but I know for a fact we use ethyl mercaptan to odorize propane (supply equivalent to about half of Los Angeles market). Ethyl mercaptan is a colorless chemical with highly perceptible odor. I guarantee if it was condensing out of vapor phase that you wouldn't even be able to stand near that pool of liquid without gagging or running away. People who get it on their clothing here change and throw it away because it never comes out. Also, based on the ppm level that is injected, that would mean that a HUGE portion of the chemical condensed out.

My suspicion? One of the propane suppliers that was used at some point with those tanks had a lower grade material than standard, and some heavier butane components got in there. Those could have condensed out easily, especially given some temperature swings and time not being used. That could have allowed vaporized ethyl mercaptan to condense out into the butane phase in small quantities.

I know this really doesn't change anything, but it's fun to apply my little job knowledge to real-life problems.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Chris,

Please don't sue me. If this is a flared fitting (and I bow to your expertise and eyesight), then I am badly in need of better glasses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gas fitting.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	140285  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas

Name:	image-794083392.png
Views:	108
Size:	743.6 KB
ID:	140286

Not trying to stir up a mess, just thought I'd give you guys a better view of the fitting.

Just left the hardware Store with new copper line and fittings
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Mr & Mrs S,

Thanks for posting a clearer shot of that fitting. I think that Chris is definitely right in that it is a flared fitting. It is my understanding that this type of fitting makes the seal in the flare part and not in the threaded part.

However, if some dumb amateur (somebody like me) used the yellow tape on the threaded part of the fitting, is there any risk that it would interfere with the seal?

Just curious. I recently replaced my regulator, and the fittings I used the yellow tape on were threaded. I replaced the WHITE tape that was erroneously used there with the proper yellow tape.

But what I'm wondering is, if I was doing the job that the Smiths are, and applied some yellow tape to the threaded part of the flared fitting, could there be a problem?